All reviews evening reception made to order breakfast complimentary breakfast great hotel indoor pool rooms are nice enjoyed my stay business trip definitely stay here again padre island atrium accommodations texas
Reviewed 27 July 2016

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!! If I could give this place NO STARS, I would. Roaches. And while we received our money back after an awful night, we did not get the 10,000 Hilton honors points the front desk and manager both promised.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites - Corpus Christi on S Padre Island Drive on the night of July 23, 2016. To say it was the worst hotel experience I’ve ever had is not exaggerating. The evening was bad, but the worst was waking up with huge roaches crawling on us, out of the bed, and the pillows. The details of everything else that went wrong follows:

I made the reservation at the last minute, after several other comparable area hotels that were half the price per night sold out minutes before I could get reservations done online. The last hotel room in the area I could find to fit our family of 5 was at this ES. We got the last room - a disabled room, for a deaf disability online. We didn’t care. We were happy to have a place to come back to after driving to the beach instead of having to drive 4 hours home after 9 PM. That feeling of relief was misplaced.

The hotel looks lovely in the lobby, but the past that it is reminiscent of a prison situated around a parlor and a pool. My husband commented at least a dozen times that it must’ve been a renovated Howard Johnson. There wasn’t much renovation involved, other than new furniture, though, if that were true.

The room was small, cramped with as much furniture in it as they shoved in there, and poorly kept. There were spots on the ceiling that I couldn’t decide if they had missed the last time they painted it, or if it was currently wet. The furniture looked old and beaten up. The rooms all face into the pool pavilion - which stayed open quite late. There were many men outside our door (within 4 feet) that laughed and talked until quite late - maybe 1 or 2 AM? We set the thermostat in the room to 78 as it was freezing at 65 when we came in, but while the back bedroom warmed up to about 74 by morning, the front room froze all night. You could hear everything between the front wall and the pavilion area, and the back wall and the parking lot area. There was no quiet that night.

Check in begins at 3 PM. I made the reservation at 3 PM. So, I understood when we tried to check in 1.5 hours later and the room had not been prepared. I was asked at the time of the reservation if I had any requests. I requested extra towels as we have several girls. We were not given extra towels. Again, that was not a big deal as I am able to walk down to the front desk and get them myself - which I did at 10 PM. I failed to notice we had not been given any soap. I always travel with my own, so we all used it. Again, by itself, not a big deal.

We showered with standing water from the start, as it did not drain properly. By the time we got through 5 showers we had three inches of water standing in the tub.

While the children were showering, we decided to call for room service as it was getting quite late, we were all hungry, and the restaurants around us were closing. So I took everyone’s order and called to place it at 10 PM - the kitchen was to close at 11 PM. I began our order and asked for a club sandwich. When the voice on the other end asked what kind of bread I wanted, white or wheat, I explained that we had food allergies - peanuts and tree nuts - and could he tell me if he offered a bread that wasn’t processed with nuts? He impatiently answered,”I don’t know. White or wheat?” I explained again that unless I knew if the bread was processed with nuts, I could not make a choice. The man answered,”Well I don’t know! We don’t have any ingredients or packages with ingredients on it back here! All I’ve got is bread! Do you want white or wheat?!” I thanked him, let him know that that could not work for us, and we would make other arrangements. My husband did not appreciate the thought of having to wait longer for food, so he walked down to the kitchen himself to place the order and deal with the food allergy issue. When we received our food, while we received huge quantities, we only received half our order, and additionally received two pieces of cheesecake which we could not eat because our food allergies. Anyone who has ever dealt with food allergies knows most dessert items are processed with nuts - and most cheesecakes use nuts in the crust. The food itself was mediocre at best. Additionally, my chicken breast was undercooked and while some was edible with the fettuccini, there were still a few pink spots. The nachos were disgusting and very old by the time they got to us. I wouldn’t have returned to any restaurant that provided that quality of food.

Everyone laid down about 11-11:30 PM, while my son and I stayed up and talked a few more minutes. I laid down in the back bedroom about 12, exhausted. About 10 minutes later, I thought I felt something on my ankle but it didn’t wake me up enough to care. Within 5 minutes, though I had two other similar experiences on my back and upper left arm that had me sitting straight up in bed slapping at myself, and my husband going, “What are you doing?!” I explained that it felt like spiders were crawling on me. He rolled his eyes and said,”Whatever” and rolled over. Within less than a minute he sat up like a shot, slapping his back and throwing on all the lights. He said,”I just felt a spider too!” He started tossing the covers off the bed and huge red roaches started fleeing the lights, from the beneath the sheets, blanket, and from the inside of the pillow cases. They ran down the mattress to behind the bed between the bed and the wall. Thankfully, our girls slept through it all in the other bed, even through the lights.

I knew I couldn’t fall back to sleep in this bed under these circumstances, so I got myself dressed again and headed back down to the front desk to ask for a can of Raid with the hope that that would do it enough for the night. The front desk clerk acted like hearing about roaches crawling out of their beds wasn’t surprising at all - he literally did not bat an eyelash or act shocked. He simply said something along the lines of “sorry to hear that” and gave the impression he hears it often, then just stood there. I had half expected an immediate apology and for him to fall over himself to compensate us. Nothing. I had to ask for a can of Raid, and he said he didn’t have one but he would send the maintenance guy over to the room with some bug spray. Twenty minutes later, the maintenance guy CALLS the room (at this point it’s like 1 AM) asking several times are we sure we want the bug spray? I emphatically told my husband to tell him yes! The sooner I got it, the sooner I could spray around the beds and we could go to sleep! Some 20 minutes later the poor maintenance guy shows up bleary eyed, looking like he was tossed out of bed by his CO, holding a jug of commercial spray. I told him,”I just wanted a can of Raid! I asked for a can of Raid! Everyone else is asleep - I have three kids asleep - I’m sorry I can’t let you in!” I felt sorry for the guy. He said he’d be back at 8 AM that morning as I assured him we were leaving as early as humanly possible with the three kids. He didn’t show up before we checked out.

As I was envisioning bug shows I’ve seen on Discovery about roaches laying eggs in peoples’ ears and wounds, I wound up sleeping on the sofa bed with one of the kids. I slept fully clothed as I couldn’t stand the thought of another roach running anywhere - and I couldn’t stand to get back under the blankets. I slept with a towel wrapped around my head to try and keep them off my face. The party outside the room finally died down about 2 and I slept fitfully, maybe 20 minutes at a time, until 6 AM when I bounded out of bed ready to be done with the place. We still had free breakfast to sit through though, so we went.
The breakfast from 7-10 AM was a joke. Everything was undercooked and horribly greasy. All of the juices were out by the time we got there at 8 AM. The oatmeal was out. Most of the dishes and silverware were dirty, with crusty dried food left on them. My disgust reached a breaking point. So, my husband went to check out instead of me. He came back with a grin saying they had compensated us with 10,000 Hilton honors points. A Hilton Garden Inn in podunk, KY starts at 30,000/night.

So I went up and as nicely as I could explained everything to the manager. I explained that everything - from the late check-in on their part to even the horrible service from the kitchen was not a big deal to us in and of itself. But, roaches. ROACHES. All of those things, combined with ROACHES crawling all over me made for the worst night in a hotel ever. And I’ve been forced to sleep on the floor of a Motel 6 that smelled like gasoline and exhaust before. He responded nervously, letting us know he had spoken with the night manager and that he had expected to talk to us. He spoke of the high ratings of his hotel, the awards, the high standing not only within the community, the area, but even within Hilton itself. I got the distinct impression he was happy to give us our money back to shut us up and hopefully keep his rating. He emphatically agreed they would also give us the 10,000 points, too.

On top of everything, I got my statement from Hilton today to learn that we did NOT receive the 10,000 points. That was the last straw, so now I share with you, in detail, our experience. Stay away from this place.

Room tip: Stay away! Roaches!
1  Thank whitc
Melody N, General Manager at Embassy Suites by HIlton Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Dear whitc:

Please accept our sincere apologies for not providing you with the quality of services you deserved during your recent stay with us. Please know that this is not typical of our hotel and staff, and I am deeply saddened we did not meet your expectations. Although we took several measures to make it right, I realize this cannot change your overall experience, and for that I am truly sorry. I've closely reviewed the details of your stay and have had discussions with our team and taken steps to ensure these failures do not occur in the future. We certainly appreciate and value your feedback, and if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Melody Nixon-Bice

Reviewed 27 July 2016

We only stay here when we visit family in Corpus Christi. Never had a bad experience. Staff is great and rooms never disappoint. The evening reception is great with free food and drinks (alcohol, too) and staff at restaurant more than accommodating.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

I was told my assigned room was already occupied by the desk clerk which turned out to be a lie. I made the reservation through Hilton Hhonors and explained I needed a room near the front as my spouse has a disability. I was assigned a room near the front as I requested by Hilton Hhonors. Upon arrival the desk clerk said my room was already occupied by someone that just checked in the hotel and assigned us a room distant from the front of the hotel. The manager on duty overheard my conversation with the clerk, who made no effort whatsoever to resolve the problem, and moved us to the room next to the one I had been assigned. As it turned out, the room was not occupied and was being cleaned. I have zero respect for a liar. The bottom line is the actions of the desk clerk caused my wife considerable discomfort having to first go to a distant room and then to a room close to the front of the hotel. We were unable to enjoy the complementary cocktail hour or the breakfast due to discomfort caused my wife. This made this a very poor value staying at this hotel. Apparently being a diamond member in Hilton Hhonors means nothing at the Embassy Suites in Corpus Christi.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Irina B, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by HIlton Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2016

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your feedback about your stay. We are very sorry that the incident that occurred at check in caused you not having a pleasant experience at our hotel. It is unfortunate that our team created the impression that they weren't truthful with you. Reading the facts that led you believe that our front desk agent wasn't honest about the room availability, I would've felt the same way.
Room 103 that was initially assigned to you, was truly unavailable due to our prior commitment to another guest, but I am glad that we were able to assign you to the room next door, 104. I also see that we offered additional Hilton Honors points to your account as an apology gesture. I wish we would've been able to accommodate you better and I am sincerely sorry that we weren't able to meet your expectation. We value your loyalty with Hilton and I hope that you choose our hotel in the future, and if given the chance, we will make sure to provide to you and your family our best accommodations.
Please e-mail me at irina.ballard@hilton.com next time you plan your travels to Corpus Christi and I will be happy to assist you with your reservation and make sure we exceed your expectations.
Please don't hesitate to e-mail me if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,
Irina B

Reviewed 26 July 2016

The hotel has been there from some decades but it has gone through a great renovation. I really like the open concept, decor, and layout. The staff is eager to please and very polite. Note the suite does not have full size fridge or microwave. The beds were comfortable and the hotel got quite enough to sleep around 10ish. The pool is still indoors. The breakfast if good and if you want an omelet to order get there early 8 ish. The parking is not great although you will not have to park further than the street. Free wifi and 2 TVs. Ice and vending available. The bar closes early. Have a great time.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We have been coming for years. The staff, quality of accommodations is great and the breakfast and evening treats delicious. We have at times stayed other places that are more expensive but we keep returning to the embassy because their quality of accommodations and service is top notch.