“The real deal---the Bronx meets the Coastal Bend”
Review of Bella Luna Pizzeria Inc - CLOSED

Bella Luna Pizzeria Inc
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Soups
Reviewed 7 October 2013

YUMMMMM.... boy does it smell good in this joint---a modest real-deal hole in the wall out near the naval base... friends of Italian heritage had highly recommended Bella Luna, and we were out to celebrate a bday... they ended up not coming, but the rest of the 2 couples- party did, on their recommendation. Wow...I needed and received an authentic NY fix here from Salvatore and his friendly staff. Our table had chicken parm, spaghetti w/ a creamy bolognese sauce, some meatballs... I had ziti and pomodoro sauce with fresh ruby tomato and basil sauce with a caprese salad to begin.. fresh mozzarella and vine ripened plum tomatoes, virgin olive oil and fragrant basil... chilled to perfection.. we loved it.....and had go plates to take with us the portions were so generous. The chef came out to speak to us, the waitress was very accomodating and I had a trip down memory lane discussing my italian stallion ex 'from the neighborhood' both he and the owner were from in the Bronx... a family place with a lot of love and history to be shared, the recipes and food was hearty and just what the doctor ordered... could they use a new AC? no doubt.. its not easy making fantastic pizzas in a hot oven in the heat of Corpus Christi... hey, whaddy gonna do? forgetta bout it!!! Sal tells me he will be opening a new spot downtown CC next to a comedy club.. No doubt that willl be a huge success... we had a blast and will be back to Bella Luna and any new ventures.

1  Thank realtravellescribe

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We decided to give Bella Luna a try, because we saw the Groupon and wanted to try something different. We travel to CC several times a year and tend to get into a dining 'rut' when we are there.

The outside of this establishment leaves a lot to be desired, but we looked past that. Upon entering this restaurant, thank goodness we were there before "dinner" because there were maybe, 6 or 7 tables max. We were the only ones there and it took a while for the guy working to come out and greet us.

Not to mention, this restaurant was HOT HOT HOT inside. I guess your AC isn't working, or the extra window unit isn't ample enough for the size. Two industrial like fans were in there as well. We should have just walked out at this point, but decided since we had already spent the $$ on the groupon to wait it out. I have 4 children, 2 of which have severe eczema and one daughter who is less than 2 years old. They were all miserable. Red faced, flushed and itchy.

Got "sweet" tea for the kids, which was not sweet at all. Husband got a sugar shaker to try to sweeten it up so they would drink it - it was all hard and stuck together inside. One tap on the table and the container shattered, sending glass and sugar everywhere and into my lap. By this point another employee had arrived and was bussing a nearby table. Can you believe that this man did not even BOTHER to offer to clean this up? I got a DIRTY PLATE from that table so we could sweep the glass and sugar off. Ugh.

Kids were restless and uncomfortable. Husband went to see if we could get some crackers for them.....no crackers. We also were supposed to have bread brought to us, and only after we asked for the crackers did the bread arrive, and it was kind of slung onto the table with no conversation whatsoever.

Now, once our food arrived, we did enjoy the food, as much as one could in a 85* restaurant. The chicken alfredo was wonderful, the meatballs were great and the portions were large. We ate quickly, so we could get out of the heat, because honestly with the breeze, it felt better outside.

We did not feel very welcome at all in this restaurant and will not be returning, unfortunately...even though the food was decent.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Finally, great home made pizza. Owned by New Yorkers, this place is the real deal. Not only is their pizza great, but they do awesome pasta dishes, calzones, and too many yummy appetizers to list.

It's like walking into a pizzaria in New York city, but without the high prices, nor the crowds.

A true gem for Flour Bluff.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

The reason we tried this place was because the local paper gave them a great write-up a while back. WOW, what a scam. First, let me say I’m a new Texan, having migrated from NY within the last year. The Caller Times said these guys were from NYC and it was authentic. Clearly the reporters at the Caller Times have never had authentic Italian food in NYC!!!

The web site features a really nice-looking menu, and very professional appearance, so I was surprised to walk in to a 6-table restaurant that is filthy dive. I’m willing to reserve judgment on that for the moment because of the warm welcome by the owner(?) and my experiences in NYC. The aroma of garlic is heavenly. That was the best part of the night.

Wait until you try to order! People around us had beer and wine, but guess what? You have to bring your own. The Caller Times and the web site for the restaurant do not mention that. I settle for a bottle of water. Want calamari? Nope. We’re outta that. Want eggplant? Nope. Outta that too. Veal? Nope… outta that too. How about the pasta named after the restaurant? Nope. Out of broccoli rabe. Seriously? On Friday night at 8:00? We really thought about leaving at this point, but we were determined to make it a good experience. So, the owner helped us scrape together an order, which included an appetizer of garlic knots… which he never served us. You bet he charged us for them though! I ordered Caprese instead of regular salad, and my husband took the regular salad. The guy brought my Caprese about 4 minutes before he brought my husband’s salad. Why? I have no idea. Dinner was terrible, and the serving sizes were pitiful. They served me pasta with no spoon (for twirling). Seriously? They cannot possibly be from NY! Or they were kicked out!

The tables had no salt or pepper. Some people around us had parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes in shakers, but none of that was offered to us. Half of the customers were given paper plates to eat from. At 9:02 pm, we hear a yell from the kitchen: “I’m outta pizza sauce!” Seriously? There is a grocery store just down the road. Anyone with half a brain would have made the choice to run down to the store hours before that to come up with an emergency solution to that problem!!! This was the most unbelievable disappointment I’ve ever had at a “restaurant.”

1  Thank IloveTX
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This place looks like a little dive from the outside, but don't let that fool you. They have the best pizza in town. The fried mushrooms are to die for, I have never had any quite like them, and then of course finish it off with a cannoli! You won't be disappointed in the food here and they staff was friendly as well. Was a really nice surprise.