“Great Old Fashioned Burger Joint”
Review of Hires Big H

Hires Big H
Ranked #471 of 1,575 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Salt Lake City has a lot of burger joints, but this remains our favorite. It's still amazing to me the food quality and experience you get for your money here. I visited again today and paid just $8.90 for a Big H, fries, fry sauce and a large root beer.

In nearly 20 years of visiting Hires, I've never once had a bad experience. The food quality is great - excellent burgers. I'm a big bun fan and Hires has one of the best (Taggarts is my favorite).

While I like Crown Burger and the others in town, I feel the burgers at Hires are far superior. Given that it's a sit down restaurant, you pay a bit more. But to me this is a far better deal than some of the new high end burger joints like Acme and The Counter.

If you're a first timer, you'll need to get used to the system if it's crowded. Just search out the host or cashier and they'll keep track of you. They'res really good at moving a lot of people quickly. And most of the main hosts have been there forever and are very, very good.

New this year - upstairs bathrooms. Check 'em out. I did like the cultural aspect of wading through the basement storage area in the past, but this is definitely an improvement.

One of my guests had the veggie burger, which I understand is awesome. My wife usually gets the patty melt.

This is my favorite location, but we also visit the other two on occasion, especially Fort Union.

Enjoy the experience.

1  Thank TumbleweedandCactus

West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Really good burgers and root beer floats.

Reviewed 30 April 2008

Tasty but kind of spendy. Very fresh!

Reviewed 15 February 2008

We live in salt Lake, & eat out a lot, so we know where to go. For a fun Hamburger experience, (but not in too big of a hurry) we go to Hires. Their fries & onion rings are the BEST on the planet (we're not kidding). We dine in our car & watch the Car-hops do their stuff. The sandwiches are all good & the vegi-burgers are surprisingly delicious. The only thing we don't like is their chili. They have great, specialty soft drinks as well & their Rootbeer won't disappoint you. Expect to wait awhile for your food as it is prepared from your order. It's not McDonalds, thank heavens!

1  Thank halehuber
Reviewed 7 December 2007

THE best burgers known to mankind. you are not living until you try one.