“Awesome Smothered!”

LA Frontera Cafe
Ranked #994 of 1,575 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Get everything smothered. It is the best thing about this place. Also the salsa and cheese enchiladas are very good. 10/10, would dine again

Date of visit: December 2012

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was getting my oil changed near-by and decided to give La Frontera a try as I'd never been before. After waiting a while to be seated I sat down, and was given the menu. I was brought out some chips and salsa. The salsa was below average, not freshly made, and definitely not the flavorful delight that normally accompanies a traditional south of the border meal!

I decided to order the small combination plate. It was actually a very good portion and included a burrito, tostada, taco, and enchilada. The food came out quickly and was steaming hot. I tried the burrito first....the refried beans inside were obviously from a can. The pork was tender and flavorful.

Next I dug into the enchilada...the sauce again was obviously not home made and there was too much cheese for my liking. The tostada and taco shared the same ground beef, which had a over powering taste of chili powder.

The service itself was not very good, as well as the location seemed very dirty. I typically love this genre of food and don't even mind if a place isn't clean as long as the food makes up for it!

Overall I wouldn't recommend this place. I'd go as far as to recommend Taco Bell as a substantially better alternative....the only bright side was the large portions and low prices. Go somewhere else. I promise you aren't missing anything.

23  Thank the1c
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I love Mexican food, and I eat it often when traveling. This is hands down the best Mexican food ever. I go out of my way to eat here. I was back in Salt Lake recently and we ate there twice. Most amazing food! The atmosphere is simple, the service very personable. The chips and salsa are delicious and fresh. The smothered burrito with cheese and onions is huge and delicious. Order ala carte, you won't have room for the rice and beans.

Date of visit: August 2012
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Simply the best...and I'm not lying when I say they have the best Dr.Pepper in the state. I crave their soda.

Date of visit: January 2012
Reviewed 15 February 2008

Okay, while I'll admit that La Frontera is a greasy spoon, I also must admit that their bean & cheese burritos, smothered with Chili Verde is something I must have at least a few times a year. It's their signature dish & is delicious! Their nachos & salsa are also great. The prices couldn't be better & the service is fast. This a perfect place to take little kids as well. They have fries, & scrambled eggs.
If you want the best chili verde & killer nachos on the planet go to the Red Iguana in Salt Lake, but if you don't want to wait in line then try La Frontera. A guilty pleasure.