“Good hotel”

Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Macon
chicago
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suites. Macon does not have a lot of choices in pet friendly, decent places. The room is basically a large room with a kitchenette.
The hotel was new, clean, and had very nice front desk staff. On check in, the front desk clerk made sure to assign me to a quiet room (never heard the trains). I did not hear guest noise or door slamming.
The bed was fine, not fabulous. Same for the pillows.
Having never stayed in this brand before, I would say it is a notch below Staybridge. No breakfast, furnishings not quite as nice. But it was quite fine for one night, and probably would do fine for longer term stays. Parking was free and well lit and felt safe. There is a small store which works on an honor system. The pool was closed for the season.
I would not really call this a pet friendly property for short stays, as the fee is high ($45.00), but I was staying on points, so it did not matter so much.
I would consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Georgia
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I'm in hotels 2 to 4 nights out of every week. I stay at your typical $80 to $120 hotels like Holiday Inns, Wingates, Hamptons, etc.. My stay at Candlewood in Macon is without a doubt the best hotel I've ever stayed at, and it was less than $100! The rooms are LARGE with a mini kitchen. They have a nice grill on site.. DVD player.. Small 'store'. I've stayed at old dumps for the same price. I read the other reviews on this site and was worried about the train. I never heard the train, but my room wasn't on the side near the tracks. Trains wouldn't bother me anyway, I'm from a town that full of trains!

I would also like to add the front desk VERY friendly and went out of their way to make my stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
VA
Reviewed 6 November 2009

I like Candlewood Suites and this is one of the best that I've seen from this chain. Very clean and new, this property is at the end of a street that's home to maybe a half-dozen hotels. Unlike most Candlewoods, the front desk remains open 24/7, rather than close 11p-7a. There's also a PC with printer off the lobby, and free in-room wi-fi, which didn't work as well as one might want, but was OK for one night.

The chain doesn't give you breakfast, but there's a coffeemaker in the room, plus free supplies. Also, there's a full fridge and a microwave. A Publix (very clean) and a Kroger (not that great) are just to the left on the main road, past the highway entrance.

As for the trains, I faintly heard one during the night. No big deal, and certainly a lot better than noisy neighbors.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Columbus
Reviewed 8 May 2009

This was my 2nd time staying, the rooms & staff are impecable!!! This hotel has all the esstentials of home. No breakfast but its okay because I was able to prepare my own meals and store them in the fridge. I love the FREE washers and dryers!! Very close to shopping and restaurants!!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Omaha
Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband, teenage son and I are checking out today after a one night stop on a drive to Florida. Read reviews of this hotel and decided to book. Very clean, good value, nice rooms, full kitchen would be a bonus if we had food but it was just a one night stop. Overall definitely a good hotel and I'm a tiny bit snobby about hotel cleanliness and age. Would stay again.

However, whoever wrote that they heard one train in the night; well, either they are heavy sleepers or the route has increased because they run MORE than once hourly. We had a very late check in, after midnight, and I heard four by 2:00 a.m. It sounded like a couple harley's had pulled into the parking lot. But, I will take that with the comfort that the room is CLEAN< and bug free.

Also, one note, we booked our room through travelocity and when we checked in they charged us again. Checked out account online this morning and both charges were there. Called the front desk and the woman knew how to fix but last night when we told the lady at check in we had already paid she said she didn't see that and our travelocity receipt didn't show...but it showed on our bank online and it was NOT just a pre authorization Anyhow, travel and things will happen. A grain of salt helps.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple