See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 March 2017

This was, and is, my favorite vacation spot. The hotel was a huge historic, almost castle like, property with many areas to explore both inside and out. We were served a breakfast feast every morning in the large dining hall with spacious seating to either be outside with the views, near people, or completely away if seclusion is what you're looking for. We had a room with a beach view and we loved it. My favorite part of this property was the private beach adjacent to the pools and in front of the bar/restaurant. Do not expect the concierge to speak English. Make sure you have a translation app downloaded to your phone and can manage asking for a cab in Portuguese. It's really hit or miss with who can help with English on the property. We actually appreciated that considering we specifically chose Ilhabela as an island get away - and that's exactly what we got, including having pretty shotty wifi service with the router in the lobby trying to make it through stone walls. The hotel is not for those who want room service or a lot of doting. It's a beautiful space with amazing views not too far from "town" and the charm of the island. The restaurant next door is awesome! The only downside was the borrachudos. It seemed with the old building the seals on the windows and sliding doors were not awesome and we got bit up pretty badly. Definitely heed the warnings to buy the best bug spray you can before arriving. Seriously. Don't even play. Just do it. Spray when you wake up, touch up if you've been sweating, after getting in the water, after showering... we made the mistake of showering before bed and not reapplying. Mistake. Protecting your skin is part of the deal here. You won't be sorry.

Room tip: Ask for beach view
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alottza
Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

I stayed in the "vip" room. Advantage: very comfortable and large, with a huge bathroom. Disadvantage: far from the main building, so I would not recommend it for people with difficulties to walk. The light on the stairs were so dark that my boyfriend missed a step and fell on the floor. The hotel staff told us they would try the fix it, but did not formally apologized.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2016

I was at this hotel for several times and each times I have discovered more. The construction is truly impressive in the way which it combines with the natural elements. There are plenty of areas to chill out in the hotel and it is not to far from the City Centre. The northern part is worth to be explored. On the other hand, improvements at the breakfast could be nice. Keep it going!

Room tip: Check out the pier and the small bar from the beach
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

The location is good. The staff is nice. İt has its own beach which is so nice also. The restaurant is avarage. The only problem is the room and the wifi. It s smaller than seen on the photos and wifi is really slow. In general I can recommend although there are some neg points.

Date of stay: March 2016
Reviewed 20 July 2015

This was my first visit to Ilhabela and I was very happy with my hotel choice. Hotel Mercedes is situated on a big property, a few kilometres north from the central hub of the island. The hotel itself is very nice with some very cool & quirky architecture. I felt that the room was overpriced for what it was - I booked a deluxe sea view room with a balcony, which was very pleasant, but there are tall palm trees on the other side of the road obstructing a lot of the sea view. The room itself was very clean but fairly basic and it wasn't very big, but it was comfortable.
I suppose you pay for the surrounding facilities that the hotel has to offer. The private peer out into the ocean with luxury sun beds and a beautiful pool on the decking by the peer...it really was something very special. There's a beautiful high-up view point to watch the sunset. At the back of the hotel are some natural pools and waterfalls which really adds to the ambience, and they're beautifully lit up at night.

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel, I just wouldn't suggest paying over the odds for a sea-view room when a room with a garden view overlooking the natural pools would be just as beautiful and probably a cheaper.

Date of stay: July 2015