“Wonderful Thanksgiving at the Kea Lani”

Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We just returned from our second trip to Maui and the Kea Lani. We are President's Club members and we used several certificates we were sent. There was a problem when we checked in late our first night using the certficates but the next morning two staff worked everything out and the manager called to apolgize for the mix-up. The rest of our stay was the best--a beautiful beach, spacious suites, gorgeous pools, snorkeling with the turtles, complimentary canoe ride, wonderful service from a gracious staff including evening turn-down service, perfect massage, good food, plus picture-perfect sunsets. There's a relaxed atmosphere and they made us feel they cared-especially the bellman who took us to our room when we had our check-in problem. He knew we were tired and concerned about the problem but assured us that in the morning it would all be worked out, his empathy for us felt like it came from his heart and his faith in management was well placed. Our family is already planning our next trip to the Kea Lani.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view.
3  Thank happysaclvc
Write a ReviewReviews (4,695)

Reviewed 26 November 2011

The kea lani, recently renovated is is good resort for families with children. The rooms are all suites which allows extra space.

We are here during the thanksgiving holiday and even though the resort is full it doesn't feel overcrowded. While here we also visited the grand wailea, a zoo. The grand wailea for me is too busy and reminds me of Disneyland.

When booking use a travel agent for discounts and package air deals.

Hope this helps. Safe travels

2  Thank love69totravel
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We really enjoyed our mother-daughter trip to the Fairmont Kea Lani. We were there in November, 2011, over the American Thanksgiving weekend, so the hotel was crowded, but we still enjoyed our stay. The hotel location was great, with a lovely swimming beach immediately in front of the hotel. The pools were nice, and we really appreciated the adult-only pool. We also liked that the activities (e.g. fitness classes) were all complementary. The wifi is free as long as you're a President's Club member (the Fairmont loyalty plan, which is free to join, and actually gives you a few nice perks).

Later in our stay, we moved over to the Hotel Grand Wailea, and all of the activities were extra charges. The facilities at the Grand Wailea were nicer, but we definitely felt nickeled and dimed there! We had to pay for all of the "extras", and the food there was crazy expensive ($2.50 for a boiled egg at Cafe Kula!).

Of all the hotels in the Wailea area, the Four Seasons resort is by far the nicest. We wandered over there for many of our meals, and we found the staff to be extremely friendly and attentive. We also thought that the restaurants there were absolutely spectacular (Duo and Ferraro's)... it's just too darn expensive to stay there!

2  Thank TravelsfromCalgary
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I will start by saying that I am a Presidents Club member and travel extensively worldwide for business. I/ we booked our 7 night stay at the Kea Lani for our post-wedding "honeymoon". We had booked over 8 months ago to ensure a great room. Some of our wedding party and family also were staying there and spent significant dollars. Collectively we had spent of $20,000 in the 6 days. We arrived before "allowed" check in to remind the staff of our honeymoon status and our President's Club membership. We were told they would take care of us. We got keys to our ocean view room and found it furnished with two double beds. I then went down to the front desk to ask for a change and nothing was really available except for the Villa's. She offered them to us for $1375 extra a night plus taxes. I responded by offering to pay half and was denied. We then recieved a card for our honeymoon. It entitled us to a complimentary bottle of wine IF we paid for two full price entrees at their lousy restaurants. Nice gesture.....NOT. The service just kept getting worse and worse. We tried to spend some beach time and were greated by "cabana boys" on the beach that would organize your lounges. We got two and I tipped them generously so I would kind of expect some other goodwill gestures like water or towels. No such luck...they disappeared. Beach umbrellas were at a additional costs etc etc. We then endured lunch at the Polo Grille which took over 30 minutes to get a sushi platter. That evening we had to call and ask for waters and to have our pillows changed since they neglected to notice our allergy to down. Through recommendations by our friends and family staying there we avoided eating there as much as possible. Food took forever and was marginal at best. The one saving grace was the employees at the spa. Becca, Dawn and Danielle were exceptional and the main reason we took advantage of numerous massages and treatments. They were so apologetic about our experience. The elevators were a nightmare. I understood they were under renovations, but there was no signage in the stairweels or directions to make it user friendly and easier to get around. As part of being a Presidents Club member, we are offered the use of golf clubs and work out gear. We went to play golf one day and nothing was available. It was sorry we cant help you. We then rented two sets for $130. My wife called down the morning of our second to last night to book a reservation for Capische. One of the nicests restaurants in Maui. The lady was short and curt. After hanging up my wife realized she forgot to tell her that it was our honeymoon and could she please ask the restaurant to get a good table for us. The response was," you want me to call the restaurant back to tell them it is your honeymoon"? ANyways she did and the restaurant was incredibly accomodating and had a nice card and exceptional service. The last day my wife want a quick snack before heading out to the airport. She went to the Polo Grille and asked the waitress what the fastest thing to get would be. The "veggie platter". 45 minutes went by and still no food, so she left...hungry. The straw that really broke the camels back was the bell service. They were very busy on departure day and so I decided to tae a load down to the car. They saw me walk with 3 suitcases in tow, within 10 feet of their desk. They were just standing there. I walked up to the car and loaded it up. I then returned back to our room and stacked up a second load. Again I went within feet of theri desk and just got looks out of the corners of theri eyes. My stack of suitcases feel apart and so I left them there (100ft) from the desk and went and got my vehicle. Drove right to the front and began to load up the truck. Never once was there an offer of assistance. This is after I had been tipping them 5 to 10 bucks daily to walk 200 feet and bring my car down out of valet. Nice last memory of my "honeymoon". My wife and I decided to forget this experience as our honeymoon and book back at the Four Seasons in April to have the holiday and honeymoon we deserve. I would equate the level of service to a Motel 6 in Bellingham but the expense was ten times that. If you have kids and enjoy a ton of them playing in one pool....then this is your deal. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Hawaii has better places to offer. For the amount of monies they want, they are seriously missing the boat.

Room Tip: dont choose a good room. Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
30  Thank Warren M
FairmontKeaLani, Manager at Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

I am truly sorry for the many concerns you experienced during your recent stay. Our mission is to turn ‘Moments into Memories’ for each and every guest and I can appreciate that our falling short of your expectations was especially frustrating when you were visiting in celebration of your wedding. We take tremendous pride in our guest service experience and deeply apologize if you left feeling anything but completely taken care of. I hope you will consider contacting me directly so I can learn more about the specific situations. Again, I apologize for your disappointment and sincerely hope that I may have the opportunity to speak with you soon. Mahalo, Charles Head, General Manager.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

We just stayed at the Kea Lani for 9 nights. The hotel is beautiful with lovely gardens, pools, grass areas and a semi-private beach. It was especially nice because we had a room with a fabulous view of the ocean and could hear the waves at night. The only downside was that meant our room was also near the pools and it was a bit noisy at times - especially on the weekends. There were a lot of families with small children so it was noisier than I remember on our last visit. I believe this is partially due to the incredible rates that were offered due to the renovation on the restaurant Ko. The construction wasn't too bad but we were grateful not to be at that end of the hotel. The elevators were the only real problem since one of them was out the entire time but the hotel was great about letting the guests use the service elevator. The best part of the hotel is that all of the rooms are suites and you have a flat screen TV in the living room and the bedroom. The bathrooms are large and well appointed. The rooms have new furniture and have small refrigerators which makes having breakfast in the room easy. We would also have a cocktail on the balcony watching the sunset which is so wonderful. It is hard not to enjoy yourself in such a beautiful location with wonderful weather. We had room service a few nights which was great - good food and service. The food in Ciao Cafe and the pool restaurant/bar were great and the service was always friendly.

We had dinner at Longhi's and Tommy Bahama's at the Wailea Shopping Center and enjoyed both. We also went to Duo at the Four Seasons Hotel for dinner and the food was average and very expensive.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbie726
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
43.2 km away
1 km away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui? Share your experiences!