“Poor value...very disappointed”

Mala
Price range: US$40 - US$100
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Kihei Islander bus line stops in front of the Shops at Wailea, just in front of the Marriott. Mala Restaurant is located on the ocean front of the Marriott, Wailea. Just walk through the main lobby and you'll see our lounge, with the restaurant ramp to your left.
Description: Chef Mark Ellman of Avalon fame and Chef/Owner of Maui Tacos, who also owns the orginal Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina, has joined forces with his long time partner Shep Gordon and opened a Southside outpost of Mala. Aptly called Mala Wailea at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa Overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Island of Lanai. Our delightful restaurant offers stunning sunset vistas over the Pacific – every seat has an ocean view. Mark is pleased to continue the Mala tradition of making great food organic, healthy, fresh, and delicious. With an authentic menu of Mediterranean and Pacific Rim cuisine, our beautifully crafted dishes will please the palates of your most revered guests.
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We went for dinner at Mala on Friday night. The place was half empty, that should have been our first clue. The waiter had no idea about the gluten-free menu that Mala supposedly "specilaizes in". I opted for the stir fry and my wife had a salad for $14 which was tiny. My stir fry was $34 and I was expecting something great, but my fish was drenched in stir fry sauce and the whole dish was worth about $20 in my opinion. Wine was average, and the bill was brought before we were half done dessert with the comment " don't woorry, it's no rush".

I expected more from a Marriott. Please skip this restaurant - there are better options in Wailea.

There are newer reviews for Mala

Reviewed 11 February 2012

The food is terrific, Chef Ellman does it again, also his new restaurant next door Honu is wonderful as well. Amazing right on the ocean

Reviewed 9 February 2012

After a long travel day, I expected to sit down at a restaurant inside Wailea Marriott Resort and Spa and have great food and service. We entered the lounge and it took a couple of minutes to even be acknowledged. We were then told to sit anywhere so we did and waited another 8 minutes for a server to come by (only after my husband flagged someone down). We ordered Ahi Sashimi appetizer which tasted like we where drinking straight from the ocean. Our Mai Tais and entree where delicious but service was cold all evening. On our third night we thought we would give it another try. Again, not acknowledged when we entered. Our service was better, but 2 of the 3 appetizers we ordered were a disappointment and 1 completely ineatible. We also tried it for breakfast and it was delicious but plan on paying hotel brunch prices. The view and outdoor seating are both lovely, it's too bad evening service and food couldn't stand up to the plate. Unfortunatently, I could not recommend it.

1  Thank Foodfaces
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Mala is the only restaurant in the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort which may explain the confiscatory prices. Skip the marginal and disappointing breakfast buffet ($27 without a discount!) The bar and restaurant provide very good food and drinks if you don't mind paying resort prices. Wine prices were especially hurtful to this California girl. Dinners are very good, with creative and well-prepared meals, and a three-course prix fixe option at a reasonable price.

1  Thank FPepoon
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had a large group, adults & kids, on Thanksgiving. They seated us in our own section, it was separated from the main restaurant, that was open to the outdoors with tiki torches. The room and the view was amazing. The buffet had something for everyone with a huge selection of meats, cheeses, salads, soups, vegetables, etc.. The service was very good which is difficult sometimes with a large group. Nice wine selection. I have a nephew with severe allergies and the chef and waitstaff was great making sure that he had a huge thanksgiving spread that met his needs.