Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
US$629
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Residence Inn by Marriott Maui Wailea(Wailea)(Great Value!)
US$422
US$650
US$525
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
US$583
US$262
US$205
Travelocity
6,877 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel winghibiscus poolbistro molokinithe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolvalet parkingper dayocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Our first stay at the grand wailea was in 1994 and we have stayed there about 12 times over the past 18 years. We loved it so much that we joined the member program. Just finished a trip there this week and must say we were disappointed.

Here goes:
1) We stayed in Napua tower which we have done several times over the years. Our room, which was attached to a suite, was mismatched in decorations and paint, very tired looking, chipped furniture (bedside table missing a handle), mattresses were horrible. One mattress was so broken down there was a giant valley in the middle of it. Rooms just look and feel like they have been neglected. Cleaning staff did nice job of keeping room clean.

Napua tower no longer a value. Breakfast very limited in selection with plated fruit (apparently so you don't take too much), and the appetizer selection in the evening also plated cheese and one, maybe two hot appetizers. Definitely not worth the extra room rate to stay there. On a positive, staff in napua tower very friendly and accommodating.

2) Forced valet parking at $30 a day is not cool. I am more than happy to park my own car and walk.

3) Food and drink prices throughout the resort are obscene. So much so that we now purchase all food either from the grocery store or the general store in the mall next door. By the way, the general store has a fantastic lunch selection for cheap. We can afford to stay at the Grand Wailea, but don't appreciate being literally robbed for the price of a meal by the pool. $75 for a sandwich lunch for two is stupid. It's food, people! You only get to keep it for a few hours, if you know what I mean!

4) Beach umbrellas are free, which is a plus - you used to have to pay for them. However, they are in such poor condition that it makes the beach area so unattractive. They are faded, broken, lopsided. Look awful and not 5 star quality.

5) Pool area feels dirty. Bathrooms stink, pathways are filthy. We's given up on pool chairs during busy seasons because of the incredible hassle and lack of seating.

6) Napua tower rooms very noisy. People singing and drinking in bar in the middle, (one night large group drinking and toasting until midnight. Constantly yelling "Salute!"), and then large groups have dinner/luas on the lawn. Noise in stereo. Not relaxing for two adults not with a convention.

7) The general feeling is that you are being repeatedly violated. Absolutely nothing is free in this hotel and that makes people like me feel as if they have been taken advantage. It's a shame. Grand Wailea would do well to take lessons from the Ritz in customer service. The little free things make people feel welcome and special.

So, Overall, just disappointed and saddened that this hotel feels like it is falling apart and that we are nickel and dimed at every corner. The rate you think you are paying is not really the rate. Add the valet, the resort charge, the resort tax and you've increased your rate by 150 a night. We are returning to Maui in June and for the first time in 18 years, we will not be staying at the Grand Wailea, but a neighboring hotel. Still absolutely love the area, but for the five star price, we are choosing to actually stay in a five star resort. Sadly, Seems to be an end to an era for us unless the Grand gets its act together.

10  Thank liketorun
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We have been here several times with our kids. Great family hotel, pools are amazing. Not a quiet place due to lots of kids there. Wailea is a very classy section of Maui.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank SangPei
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Because our trip to this hotel was the result of my husband's company award trip, my review has to be taken in that view. We had a lovely time there, and thought the staff very accomodating and friendly, but that could have been because they knew we were with the company group that was spending a lot of money there! We were in one room for 2 nights using my husband's Hilton Honors points, and then moved to another room on his company's tab. Both rooms were very nice. The rooms were spacious, not crowded, and well appointed. The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was very modern with nice fixtures and stonework, with a separate shower and a whirlpool tub. The views from both rooms very great. There are several pools outside and one specifically allocated to adults, as there were many children there in the pools that had slides and other fun things. The property runs right down to the beach in front, which has lovely, soft sand under the palm trees. They also have their own wedding chapel on the grounds for weddings. There are several restaurants on the grounds but we ate at only two of them one night - The Bistro Molokini for dinner - and it was good food - and the Cafe Kula a couple times for lunch. The Cafe Kula is a store/cafe that you go up to the counter and order your food and they call you to pick it up when it's ready. The food there is average - pizza, sandwiches, fries, soft drinks - but okay for a lunch. The circular bar is right in the center of the inner court of the hotel and at night was usually crowded and therefore noisy with voices and they sometimes also had a live singer. But once we got into our room and shut the door, we couldn't hear anything. Each room has it's own balcony which was heaven to sit out on and enjoy the view, or read. The best feature of the hotel, though, is their award winning Spa Grande. I went there twice for different treatments and I loved it! They tell you to come early, and really do! I came an hour before my treatments each time and for that time I enjoyed their lovely whirlpools and mineral baths and various showers. They have a women's side and a men's side, which I was glad of. They say that bathing suits are optional, but both times I went all the women were wearing bathing suits as I was. They have a large whirlpool with hot swirling water to soak in, and then a ice cold dipping pool next to it (you have to be brave to dip in it but it's worth it!) Then in another room they have their Japanese bath which is very hot but has no jets, just calm water to soak in, and next to it there is another cold dipping pool. Then in another room they have 5 mineral baths that are perfectly wonderful. For example one might have black salt and orchid, and another spirulean and algae and another pineapple and mango. Each one is supposed to target a part of your body and calm you - and they do! Then they have these individual stalls that you sit in and a waterfall of concentrated water beats down on your shoulders, neck and back - it feels so good, like a very powerful shower massage. Then they have showers with jets coming at you from all sides. During the time you are going from pool to pool (or mineral bath), they call your name and take you into a small room where they give you a complimentary body sugar scrub and rinse. It's great! So by the time they call you for your actual treatment you already feel like melted butter! The treatments are wonderful, too. I had a massage one time, and a facial the next time and loved them both - the technicians were friendly and kind. When your session is over, and it's time to go, you don't want to leave! I would definitely recommend saving your money up to specifically have a treatment or two in the spa. It's well worth it, even though it's expensive. (About $170.00 per treatment) All in all, if you have the money, and want to be treated well and have luxurious surroundings, then I would recommend staying at the Grand Wailea. It's in a good location, near shops and other luxury hotels. We rented a car one day at the Hertz at the Marriott Hotel just down the street, so that was a convenient location to pick it up and return. My husband and I loved our stay at the Grand Wailea and felt thoroughly relaxed when we left.

Room Tip: It's great to have an ocean view room if you can afford it
3  Thank jainsea
Reviewed 27 February 2012

One of the best hotels I have visited. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds are incredible and the pools are the best I have seen. I would love to return and bring the kids. They would love it! The restuarants are expensive but the food and service was good. As a Diamond member with Hilton we received two free drinks and a $40 dinner voucher. We also received a room upgrade to the concierge level. The continental breakfast was decent but the highlight was the appetizers and free cocktails. A really nice break from the $15 drinks by the pool. The beach is very nice. No rocks which makes the swimming very enjoyable. A nice perk with this hotel is the lounge chairs and beach umbrellas they provide the hotel guests. The rooms are very nice. They are really large and comfortable. The bed was incredible. This hotel is great for couples or families. I can't wait to return.

5  Thank Scurry49428
blynx1, Director of Sales at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Aloha,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time at our hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I read a lot of reviews before choosing this hotel. Some complained about the size. This is a very large resort; that part is true. What the complainers failed to say is to walk any distance at this resort is to be treated to stunning views throughout. There are sculptures, hidden waterfalls, secluded thatched huts, exotic flowers, green foliage of all kinds, palm trees, paintings ... everywhere that you look. Just the hotel grounds, without seeing any other part of the Island, delivers on the visual expectation and fantasy of what you hope to see when you visit Hawaii.

I saw reviews about rooms not being up to par. We have had different types of rooms during our different stays at this property. Some have been average and others outstanding. None have been dirty or run down. Our last room was clearly remodeled and fabulous. Our room this time was older, very clean and also wonderful. The views are great. We've had pool views, garden views, ocean views... all great.

I read some reviews that complained about not getting enough wrist bands for the pool, or having to pay 'too much' for wrist bands for non hotel guests. I can see that if someone is trying to "sneak" in a few extra people, that the hotel would hold to its policy and that does not bother me at all. The staff will ask for room numbers and names in order to provide bands. Once you see how easy it is to walk into the pool areas at the surrounding resorts, you change your mind about wearing wrist bands. It keeps the pool available for paying guests.

The hotel fee is a fact of life as is the valet charge. No one likes fees. However, the car was delivered promptly and with fresh, cold bottles of water each time we called for it. Frankly, you really do not need a car. We always rent one, but for the first time this year, we took tours of some of the better known sights and it was well worth it. We were picked up at the hotel and returned to the hotel... no car needed.

The food is great. My in-laws traveled to this hotel two weeks after we did. They had the opposite reaction: we loved the food at Humuhumu; they loved the Bistro Molokini (both restaurants at this resort). Our favorite restaurant used to be the Italian restaurant next door at the four seasons where table are outside and face the ocean. However, this year, the service and food at that venue disappointed, while Humuhumu outdid our expectations. We were also pleased with room service selections and taste. About a year or so ago we found that the Humuhumu fare was tasty but more like standard Hilton hotel fare. We can now say it is excellent.

If you have children, the multiple, cascading pools, slides and rope swing will occupy them for hours. If you have small children, the little baby pool with little fountain and nearby sand covered pool entry where children play in the shallow water (which looks like a beach) will entertain you and the baby. From your chairs, you will hear the ocean surf in the background.

There are lifeguards everywhere. This year I was at the foot of the big slide waiting to capture my husband on camera when he came hurtling out, when an older woman came down the slide first and then appeared disoriented as she stood coughing at the bottom of the slide. The lifeguard did not hesitate, he immediately was in the water, at her side. Her husband was laughing and she appeared embarrassed, but I was very impressed the rapid response as other resort staff also appeared to make sure all was well.

We did not have children with us and have never traveled to this resort with children. However, we used all the pools, the slides and the lazy river just like the kids did and found there was room for all of us to safely and respectfully use the multiple pools. A bonus was the option to use the large sized adult-only pool with two large hot tubs. I was pleased that when children entered the adult-only hot tub or adult-only pool area, they were gently encouraged to leave.

We debated staying at the four seasons this year, but the property just cannot compare to what is offered by the Grand Wailea. Even at its most crowded, when we returned from a tour late morning, we never had trouble finding two or more chairs together. There were also plenty of shaded areas. This year we noticed Super Cabanas with flat screen TVs and other amenities. The staff was very friendly. Housekeeping services were prompt and efficient. All the staff members were very friendly from housekeeping staff to groundskeepers, to the front desk and wait staff. Iced water was offered at the adult pool area.

Are there any cons? It depends on who you are. If you like small, you can find private places there, but it is a large resort. If you want shiny and new, the resort is an older property, but there were signs of ongoing improvement throughout. The pool has some chipped tiles in places. Our room was a bit older, but beautiful. Our in-laws raved about their newly renovated room. All the rooms have giant bathrooms which is you like tiny bathrooms, could be a con. Is it expensive? Yes, it can be very expensive, but no more so than other luxury properties. Believe me, we looked at the other resorts. We have been to Maui ten times and we looked at many other properties... but we always return to the Grand Wailea... because it never disappoints.

12  Thank 1stSammy