All reviews free wifi transformation ales pub venue beds cardiff
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

In August 2017 we visited the Cefyn Mably and had a really nice meal, the staff were friendly and the whole experience was great.

Last night we went there for a meal after having raved about how good it was last time, only to be sorely disappointed.

Most of these points I’ll mention may seem trivial but all added together and combined with the general attitude of the staff equalled a very frustrating, and at times almost farcical evening.

First of all there were NO vegetarian options on the menu at all. I don’t mean they had run out, I mean there was no veggie option. Luckily I eat fish so I was able to order a fish dish. Which leads me onto our second problem. It was only 8pm at the time of ordering and they seemed to have run out of most of the fish meals. Several of our party had to change their order. Perhaps it would be advisable to remove dishes from the chalkboard once they’ve run out to save a lot of time and fuss (for the staff as well as the guests!)

On the subject of the menus we would have really liked a more detailed and accurate description of each dish. For example the sea bass came with a lot of samphire. Admittedly this is a fairly normal accompaniment for a sea bass dish, but it is not ‘a given’ and not everyone likes it. It’s quite an acquired taste and as there was quite a large amount I feel it should have been included in the dish description. Also in the description of this particular meal it mentioned shallots. There were no shallots.

(Deep breath)

The saga of the purple potatoes.

So - these potatoes were hard and completely inedible. The chef actually came out towards the end of the meal and said he’d tasted them and agreed with us. He apologised profusely and said he couldn’t understand what had gone so wrong with them. This was the only member of staff who showed any concern whatsoever and he seemed very genuine. He offered us a free dessert as compensation. We weren’t looking for any compensation at all but it was a lovely gesture.

However.....this was soon overshadowed. We asked him if there was anything that my great aunt could order for dessert as she is coeliac. The chef said he wasn’t sure and he would go and find out. Not wanting to make a fuss my great aunt said ‘if there isn’t anything I’ll just have a coffee’ and off the chef went.

Nothing further was done about this. He never returned (I’m genuinely giggling whilst writing this as it was just so bizarre) So we never received an answer about the desserts and no coffee was served.

Moving onto the burger. My cousin’s husband ordered a burger with no cheese. When it arrived it had the remains of cheese stuck to the burger as if it had just been picked off. He pointed this out to our waitress whose immediate response was ‘that’s not cheese.’ It was 100% cheese. We all tasted it. I was appalled by her response. I’m not exaggerating when I say that was her response word for word. ‘That’s not cheese.’ There was no responsibility taken, no apology and nothing further was done about it.

She spoke to me later on and said ‘sorry about the cheese’ and I told her not to worry but reminded her that he could have had a dairy intolerance. Her response was again a massive shock. She said ‘I know but we are really busy.’

As a side note - there were two other tables in the restaurant area. They weren’t at all busy at that time and even if they were absolutely packed that is NOT how to talk to a customer. Especially when a mistake has been made by the staff.

Incidentally, we waited half an hour for starters and the restaurant was virtually empty.

When we were paying the bill our other waiter (male) casually apologised for the hard potatoes and again the excuse came out - ‘it’s just that we are so busy.’

So, the bill was paid and we were leaving the restaurant when the male waiter presented us with another bill saying we had £70 outstanding. We had a look at it and it was a completely different bill - one that for some reason had doubled our starter orders and added them to our drinks orders. It was very odd. He agreed that it was wrong and guess what his response was....? You guessed it....’it’s been a very long day. We’ve been very busy.’

In other news the majority of the food was nice. The monkfish was apparently very nice. Some of the starters were lovely and the presentation was interesting.

Mistakes happen. The thing that really let the restaurant down was the attitude of the staff in response to the many mistakes. And there were MANY.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Gemma R
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Stayed at the cefn malbly a few times it's close to Cardiff and Barry so as working in the area it was ideal, the rooms are a good size and warm and clean ,the bar serves a great range of drinks ,great places to eat just a short walk into penarth, the mably does not offer breakfast but this does not cause a problem ,there is a safe car park at the back ,very good value on a budget

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

I have been reluctant to try the Cef Mably for food but I'm so glad that I did. Due to the snow they were unable to serve a Sunday Roast however we expected this.
We all had the burger and I must say it tasted really good and great that it came with coleslaw. One thing I would suggest is that it would be nice if it came with a burger relish on the side.
We're looking forward to going back to try the Sunday Roast.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank LovetoEatVale
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I've stayed at the Cefn Mably Hotel many times as I travel there for business. The owners are really friendly and the service is great. I've eaten from the pub/restaurant downstairs a few times and the food was really tasty. You can tell that it is made freshly on site. The beers are ice cold too just like the weather on my last trip. I actually ended up staying an extra night due to the crazy snow.... in March!! The rooms are clean and comfortable as is the pub/restaurant. Free wifi, tea and coffee, off road parking etc. Everything you need in a BnB.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Beautifully decorated pub/restaurant. Delicious lunch with one of the best fillet steaks I have ever eaten. Very reasonably priced. I will certainly be eating there again soon and highly recommend it.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family