Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Visit

Went to Sandy RSPB nature reserve today. Had a lovely walk around the grounds. Very well kept and... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Mark B
via mobile
Nature's HQ

I feel so good to be a member of the RSPB and to contribute to this wonderful organisation. The... read more

Reviewed 16 September 2018
EamonnFire
Sandy, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews sandwiches non members car park helpful volunteers an interesting place to visit enjoy the scenery small selection lovely walk around the grounds picnic area few hours be visiting again head quarters lovely reserve hide hq walks woodland
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Quiet, peaceful with lovely nature trails and a well maintained picnic area. The trails are well signposted and the staff at the information centre are very helpful. We took our own picnic and ate it at one of the tables provided. Will definitely return to finish all the trails as it was too hot to do much on this occasion

Reviewed 28 July 2018

If you want a really nice pleasant place to walk, see some fantastic wildlife and learn a little more about the natural world then please visit this place. Not far from plenty of big towns and it's a little paradise in the middle of a growing concrete jungle. Credit to the RSPB on how they have set the place up, and for the amazing staff and volunteers who make a real effort to educate and support everyone who visits. PS. if you want to see something special - go in the next couple of weeks and go to see the Hobby (our smallest falcon bird of prey) with it's young chick. You might never see one elsewhere! Well done RSPB Sandy - great job!

Mark B, Visitor manager at RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thank you very much for your kind review Jonathon. It's great to know you appreciate the reserve and it's wildlife and the hobbies and their chick are the real stars of the show at the moment!

Mark and The Lodge team.....and our wonderful volunteers!

Reviewed 22 July 2018

My family have been paid members and going to the Sandy lodge for many years. I have never had an issue or been approached by any staff in this time. However, I have recently become disabled and I park in a disabled parking spot with my wife and 2 children. Since then I am constantly harassed by the RSPB patrol staff.

Yesterday was my 5th time in as many weeks where I have been approached and harassed by one of the staff. We have seen many people parking in the disabled who aren't actually disabled or show a blue badge, but they do not get approached or the same treatment. I was tail gated bumper to bumper all the way down the road yesterday and approached by a rude member of staff who spoke to me like I was a criminal. My children are very nervous and uncomfortable.

Why should anyone that wants to go for a peaceful walk be made to feel threatened every time they go? I was made to prove my disability and membership once again and it again spoiled the evening for my kids, we were told we would have to leave early as there has been lots of trouble there recently due to people and animals being attacked by dogs.

In the few years I have been going, I have only ever seen pleasant families, bird watchers / photographers and cyclists. I not once seen any trouble. I would be grateful if the RSPB staff could stop discriminating against certain people or you may lose your paid members.

Mark B, Visitor manager at RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear of this experience. It seems very unlikely it is RSPB staff, especially as you refer to an evening visit, but if you can supply me with the date and time of this last report, I'll contact our transport office and speak to them regarding the security team who are based on site out of hours, who are more likely to be checking vehicles if they have experienced some trouble.

Many thanks,
Mark

Reviewed 17 July 2018

Lovely reserve set out in Sandy. Easy located between Sandy and Potton with multiple trails, picnic benches and a small shop. Saw lots of different kind of birds. The only downside itself was the weather the day we went as it started okay then towards the end rained. Would go again for definite!

1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

Lovely walk around the grounds and the hide where we saw and heard woodpeckers. Nice information hut and small shop offering a small selection of snacks. I wish they'd expand their drinks and snack selection.

Mark B, Public Relations Manager at RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Thank you for your review and pleased you had a nice visit to The Lodge.

We have noted your comment on expanding the refreshments, and will talk with the retail team about this.

Regards,