“Fabulous”

RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Sandy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located on Bedfordshire's Greensand Ridge, RSPB The Lodge nature reserve and gardens has over 5 miles of trails, leading through tranquil woodland,an historic Iron Age hillfort,heathland and formal gardens. A hide looks over small pools where birds and other wildlife come to feed.The RSPB shop sells gifts,optics and bird food, and you can enjoy a freash sandwich or salad from the chiller, or a well deserved ice cream or hot drink after your walk.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed 3 August 2018

Quiet, peaceful with lovely nature trails and a well maintained picnic area. The trails are well signposted and the staff at the information centre are very helpful. We took our own picnic and ate it at one of the tables provided. Will definitely return to finish all the trails as it was too hot to do much on this occasion

All reviews
"car park"
in 8 reviews
"helpful volunteers"
in 2 reviews
"an interesting place to visit"
"enjoy the scenery"
"small selection"
in 2 reviews
"lovely walk around the grounds"
"picnic area"
in 48 reviews
"woodland"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 28 July 2018

If you want a really nice pleasant place to walk, see some fantastic wildlife and learn a little more about the natural world then please visit this place. Not far from plenty of big towns and it's a little paradise in the middle of a growing concrete jungle. Credit to the RSPB on how they have set the place up, and for the amazing staff and volunteers who make a real effort to educate and support everyone who visits. PS. if you want to see something special - go in the next couple of weeks and go to see the Hobby (our smallest falcon bird of prey) with it's young chick. You might never see one elsewhere! Well done RSPB Sandy - great job!

Mark B, Visitor manager at RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Thank you very much for your kind review Jonathon. It's great to know you appreciate the reserve and it's wildlife and the hobbies and their chick are the real stars of the show at the moment!

Mark and The Lodge team.....and our wonderful volunteers!

Reviewed 22 July 2018

My family have been paid members and going to the Sandy lodge for many years. I have never had an issue or been approached by any staff in this time. However, I have recently become disabled and I park in a disabled parking spot with my wife and 2 children. Since then I am constantly harassed by the RSPB patrol staff.

Yesterday was my 5th time in as many weeks where I have been approached and harassed by one of the staff. We have seen many people parking in the disabled who aren't actually disabled or show a blue badge, but they do not get approached or the same treatment. I was tail gated bumper to bumper all the way down the road yesterday and approached by a rude member of staff who spoke to me like I was a criminal. My children are very nervous and uncomfortable.

Why should anyone that wants to go for a peaceful walk be made to feel threatened every time they go? I was made to prove my disability and membership once again and it again spoiled the evening for my kids, we were told we would have to leave early as there has been lots of trouble there recently due to people and animals being attacked by dogs.

In the few years I have been going, I have only ever seen pleasant families, bird watchers / photographers and cyclists. I not once seen any trouble. I would be grateful if the RSPB staff could stop discriminating against certain people or you may lose your paid members.

Mark B, Visitor manager at RSPB The Lodge Nature Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear of this experience. It seems very unlikely it is RSPB staff, especially as you refer to an evening visit, but if you can supply me with the date and time of this last report, I'll contact our transport office and speak to them regarding the security team who are based on site out of hours, who are more likely to be checking vehicles if they have experienced some trouble.

Many thanks,
Mark

Reviewed 17 July 2018

Lovely reserve set out in Sandy. Easy located between Sandy and Potton with multiple trails, picnic benches and a small shop. Saw lots of different kind of birds. The only downside itself was the weather the day we went as it started okay then towards the end rained. Would go again for definite!

1  Thank Sophie M