“Good food but expensive”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rafi Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #189 of 437 Restaurants in Frederick
Reviewed 4 September 2016

The restaurant is located on Thomas Johnson Drive in Frederick. We were seated promptly upon entering but the restaurant was mostly empty and we were seated next to a loud and noisy group. We were moved but you would think common sense would be used when seating folks. The menu is very extensive with lots of Italian favorites. I had the cheese ravioli. It was much better than The Olive Garden but, because of the $10 cost, I thought expensive since you do not get a salad with it. A small green salad included with the meal would have good a long way to making it a perfect meal. They also brought only one slice of bread per person so we had to ask for more. The bread was very good. Not sure if I would return due to value for cost.

Reviewed 8 April 2016

If you liked the old Nido's then you will like this place. If not you will NOT. My wife and I happen to love this place. We have learned certain things which once you are aware of you will not order. The salads are just so-so Only olive oil and vinegar dressing. The bread is bland and oleo is what you get. The key is to order the white pizza which is awesome. This will get you started. The house wine is nothing to rave about so splurge and get a bottle. The bottle prices are reasonable. I still just order a carafe of the house red and drink it out of straight tumblers rather than wine glasses as in the old country. The eggplant is my wife's favorite and I get the platter which includes eggplant, meatball, and sausage along with spaghetti and marinara sauce. I never go home hungry. I isn't downtown but then again it is never crowded. We will continue to frequent the place because we know what to expect.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

A friend told me about Rafi so we thought we'd give it a try. Will be coming back and often! Home style atmosphere, polite and attentive waiter, owner came by to make sure the food was OK, then after we were done to makes sure all was OK. I had the lasagna (awesome), and my husband had the fresh clams and linguine (also awesome). Fresh bread that was perfectly lightly toasted and warm.
Only downside was location, on the far side of Frederick from us. Well worth the drive, and lots of parking made up for it, as did the wonderful food.

Reviewed 20 February 2016

Newly opened from previous owner of Nido's Italian Restaurant in downtown Frederick. Smaller restaurant. Arrived at 8PM on a Friday night and we were the only people there. So the word is not yet out.

Excellent food - every bit as good as Nido's which is my favorite local Italian place. I had the eggplant parm and it was truly terrific. Service was good (one waitress, one table) and we got some good explanations of the various dishes, etc.

This will be a good place to visit every few weeks to see how they are doing and work through the menu.

Reviewed 20 January 2016

Three strikes, and you're out. Here are three strikes for Rafi Ristorante Italiano in Frederick, MD. 1. Poor location. 2. Mediocre service. 3. Blah food.

A group of seven us went there for dinner at 6:30 pm, and there was only one other table of customers. That should have told us something from the start.

The restaurant is located in a building off the beaten path that has sat empty for a long, long time; and they are now the only patrons...situated far from the road with no signs. If you know the name of the building, you can find them.

The servers were very friendly, but obviously over their heads. There were several rather incredible experiences with service in that we had to wave them down to take our orders (with only one other table active in the room); and, after dinner and our saying "no dessert," they never brought the bill. We had to call to them and request it. Otherwise, they did fairly well and seemed eager to please.

The food was under par. Most said it was just OK, one liked it, and one said it was awful. The one who said it was awful had garlic shrimp over spaghetti. She said she could not taste the garlic and the noodles were so dry she could not eat them. The one who liked the food had spinach ravioli. Several tasted it, and it was nicely tender and pleasing. Those who had dishes with red sauce (most of us) all said the sauce was "nice," but not great. Somebody must like it because they had many jars of it for sale by the entrance door. None of us were interested.

They only have wine and beer. By the glass, they have a red and a white with no identification. When asked, we were told it was a special blend by the owner. Mysterious. When we tasted the red, we were fairly convinced it was based on bottled grape juice. Awful. Sent it back. When we tasted the white, we were fairly convinced it was something mixed with water. Also awful. Skip the house wine for sure.

We really hoped to love this fairly new Italian restaurant here in Frederick. We would have been better off at a Pizza Hut. We left saying to one another that we did not think Rafi's will last very long. Sad.

Been to Rafi Ristorante Italiano? Share your experiences!