“Very good food and ambiance”

Firestone's Culinary Tavern
Ranked #17 of 437 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Church St
Description: Firestone's Culinary Tavern, opened in 1999, is located in downtown Frederick's picturesque Historic District. It is housed in a 1921 building that was initially the home of Shipley's Department Store. The restaurant combines outstanding cuisine with the casual atmosphere of a neighborhood tavern. The Washington Post says, "the atmosphere is prime...the food is, too!".
Reviewed 24 December 2017

This place has a lot of charm and the food is very good. The menu is quite varied, so it can accommodate all types of tastes. The downstairs bar area is very crowded on a Saturday night, but it has a terrific (almost colonial) feel to it. The dining upstairs is quieter, with great lighting and many tables looking out the windows onto the busy street below. The service was a little slow but the servers were nice and friendly. I had French onion soup, a cheeseburger (cooked perfectly), and French fries; all were delicious. Parking is difficult.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

We met another couple here for lunch. We were seated upstairs and the server was pleasant and service was good.

I was a bit disappointed in the lobster bisque. It was beautifully presented with a tablespoon of crab on a toasted bread on the side of the bowl. The bisque itself was puréed and I honestly couldn’t tell it had lobster in it. A bit pricy for the small portion.

We all ordered sandwiches. Hubby had the grilled cheese with roasted peppers and applewood bacon, quite tasty. The veggie soup was also puréed and lacked much flavor.
I had the cheese steak on a crusty roll and it was not only a hugh portion it was very tasty.

The French fries were limp, not great.

We shared a walnut dessert with white chocolate ice cream which was very good.

Reviewed 15 December 2017

Winter weather has arrived here in Frederick. Last evening my wife and I enjoyed eating at Firestone's and ordered from their Tavern Menu. It was a good choice, but with the temperature dropping outside, we decided to order a little more and to share a bowl of Onion Soup. Although we have dined at Firestone's for years, for some reason this was our first time to have their Onion Soup. It was served hot and was excellent. If you are out in downtown Frederick this winter, I recommend you try Firestone's Onion Soup.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

In the past I dined here regularly but hadn't been in since the old chef left. I was afraid it would not be up to par and I was correct. The crab dip was served with a baguette that was barely warm. The overall presentation of the crab dip was unappealing other than the crab dip itself, which looked good and tasted good- aside from a few chunks of cream cheese. I expect great not good from Firestones. I had the cowboy steak and the preparation has changed and not for the better. Previously, the cowboy steak was buttery good with a bit of bleu cheese on top. It was phenomenal.Now I did not taste any butter, the bleu cheese is gone and my beloved steak was smothered in what I guess was liquid smoke? It grossed me out because the smokey charcoal taste was overwhelming. Don't get me wrong now, the meat itself still tasted quite good and I focused on that rather than the artificial tasting liquid. I do not exactly want to have to do that for a $45 steak. I am not done with Firestones just yet, but next time I wills for my steak to be cooked in butter and maybe add a dab of bleu cheese.Please get back up to speed!!!

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

Firestone’s is one of my favorite downtown stops! Sunday night was the exception, the crap dip was excellent but the two salads missed the mark big time! Someone needs to read the book, “how to make a Caesar salad”.......it was tasteless! When you grill cauliflower it become lightly browned on both sides....not raw. Firestone’s, I am very disappointed.