“WOW”

Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2016

The seafood was super fresh and everything we had was tasty. We had a large party and they easily accommodated us. Had a variety of things, crab, clams, oysters and sandwiches. Everyone was happy.

Reviewed 24 June 2016

The last time I reviewed May's was in 2013. We've returned several times, each time I was disappointed in the crabs. I hoped after a year or so of absence it would have improved. NO. Got the AYCE crabs. Although the server was pleasant, the crabs were terrible. Since it was AYCE we expected small crabs-these were very small, light weight and worst of all were mushy. There was hardly any meat in them and they were obviously sitting in the water too long. As for the other items for the AYCE-we were offered plenty of fries (cheap), but had to repeatedly and specifically ask for the other items such as corn, soup, hus puppies and coleslaw. Ordered the cream of crab soup; it had been good in the past, this time it was runny and tasted soured.
For sure-will not return.

2  Thank allnew
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

I've been coming to Frederick for the past 13 years and try to eat at May's at least once each trip. It seems that some of the quality of the steamed items has fallen off a bit. I was here about 3 months ago and had the steamed spiced Shrimp. Not as good as they used to be. Hopefully it was just an off night. That being said the Crab Cakes are excellent. Ate there 2 times in 3 days this trip with my wife and had the Crab cakes both times delicious. No fillers just crabmeat best I've ever had. Will be back for more!!!

Reviewed 18 June 2016

We had a group of six on a Saturday night. Although they were extremely busy, we were seated right away. Our server did a great job of explaining the menu and making recommendations.

All six of us enjoyed our meals. No negative comments from anyone. I had Crab Cakes that were exactly what you would expect when in Maryland: excellent! The side dishes also proved good as was desert.

Next time we are in Frederick, this restaurant is on our list of places to revisit.

I will mention that this restaurant, for casual dining, is very pricey. Our check was $120 for two with no alcoholic beverages. Forget about the price and enjoy. We would consider this a "special" dinner spot as our budget goes.

We recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed 12 June 2016 via mobile

I have been going to Mays for the past twelve years and give crabs good and bad days. I had ordered a dozen large as the AYCE usually means small light ones so wanted to give a chance for the large. They arrived not to hot and honestly looked like the AYCE with some exception. Of the twelve less than half were comparable if the one I got at Woodbine Inn. The rub at Mays is also not as I would expect. Anyway here is my advice. If you have never explores other crab areas in Frederick try another. Mays need to stay on top and begin to earn patrons back. Hit and miss does not cut it for me anymore. Sadly my wife and I went here 13 years ago after our engagement and made it a tradition each year. We may not go this year. The AYCE just has changed to a clams, shrimp and snow crab theme that it has lost the famed Md crab one. I'm heading to other area but know and so does Mays that I will be back as they do have a strong hold on the area. I just wish they would have spent money on making this a growth place versus "it has not changed since I've k own" one. Finally my advice. Try this place, Averys, Woodbine Inn, JB Seafood and then make one your place. Happy crab hunting. Oh yeah when we did complain we got two crabs to go!

Date of visit: June 2016

Been to May's? Share your experiences!