“Nice place to view the sunset in Mesa Verde National Park.”
Review of Far View Lodge

Far View Lodge
Reviewed 18 October 2014

The hotel front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The room was quite basic and a bit tired but was clean. We had a nice balcony for viewing the sunset. This is the only place to stay within Mesa Verde National Park.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed 18 October 2014

I should have gone with my gut instinct and stayed away from here, instead I thought it would be great to stay in the park and go exploring. I love Mesa Verde, but when I showed up at my room late in the evening things steadily went down hill. I had book two nights, the first thing I did was walk down and cancel my reservation for the second night. The light was burnt out outside our unit, which at 11:00 makes it difficult to unload. First thing I notices was that the carpet was horribly stained just about everywhere with who knows what, there were so many different colored stains I can only imagine what had happened in that room. The second thing was our room was very muggy, there was know air conditioning so we ended up keeping the doors open to air out the room. This also helped with the strange smell. The bedding was old and tired, and I have doubts on it's cleanliness. That goes for the room itself. There were dead bugs in the room, I killed some crawling thing when it approached my bed. The room was just plain uncomfortable. I'd also skip the tour they offer for Mesa, while the guide seemed passionate and a good guy, the price of the trip and the value that it adds just isn't there. I wish I had listened to the reviews about this as well. Overall checking out and moving to a hotel in Durango for $25 more was worth it. I was really hoping for a nice quite place what I got was the worst stay I had in 15 days traveling through Kansas and Colorado. Do yourself a favor, if you want a clean room and a good nights sleep don't stay here. I honestly would rather have camped as my tent is much cleaner and my gear more comfortable.

2  Thank Technomage8088
Reviewed 18 October 2014

Since this is the only lodging in the park, just be prepared for small rooms, horrible, saggy beds, and tiny rooms. We were in a "renovated" kiva room but the only renovated thing could have been the faux wood floors. That was a plus since other reviewers complained of old, worn and dirty carpet.
The rooms do not have TV's but do have coffee service and a small refrigerator. Bathrooms are small. Could not get the heater/ac unit to work....

The lodge is overpriced for the Motel 6 quality of the rooms, but then they have a monopoly so no surprise. The worst part is the beds. They sag in the middle. Should have been replaced eons ago.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
1  Thank Debkatie
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Location is obviously the biggest plus. I also liked that you could walk to the Metate Room (dining, though expensive and that not that to me) plus the office and the lounge (which has a TV if you miss that!) The place was a little dated and a tiny bit shabby but the bed was quite food, and the bathroom fine. We appreciated the WiFi and the in-room phone (my cell phone didn't work there) but the walls were really thin and I was a bit worried about what the people next door were thinking when my husband coughed. We heard him or her sneeze, so that gives you an idea of how much you can hear if you have noisy neighbors. I suspect that's one reason there are no TVs - would bother people around you. It's meant to be rustic, and it is. Of course, the views are nice, so that's a plus, and the Far View Ruins are maybe less than a mile down the road which makes for a nice sunrise or sunset visit. During October, the room rates are much more reasonable than during the summer, so that was a plus. I really liked staying in the park rather than having to come in from Cortez. There were no steps to climb, which is also good for older people with knee problems. The room was (truly) nonsmoking - no smells. I wasn't crazy about the few food choices available in mid October, however. You're really a captive audience. The breakfast was $11 (buffet) and I wish I had just brought some pastries to eat with the coffee in the room.

Reviewed 16 October 2014 via mobile

You can't beat the views, especially sunrise and sunset. The Metate Room has pretty good food, but it's priced a little high for the quality plus it's totally staffed with kids. The bed was great in the room but I saw a few bugs. Also the soap dispensers had no soap and no bars to be found. I woke up to brew my precious in room coffee and the package was in the basket but empty.

Stayed: October 2014
11.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
12.5 km away
The White Eagle Inn & Family Lodge

Been to Far View Lodge? Share your experiences!