“Initially pleased but that changed”
Review of Regency Suites

Regency Suites
Ranked #75 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Denver, Colorado
“Initially pleased but that changed”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The Lead-Up
I selected this hotel in Midtown Atlanta because of its proximity to three things: MARTA (Atlanta's train system), where I needed to go, and a large grocery store just 1.5 blocks away.

The Particulars
Upon arrival, I was very impressed. The hotel is smaller than many and looks very stylish inside. The front desk clerk was friendly and very helpful. The room itself was large. A smart-looking kitchen area was tucked around the corner, and the bath/vanity/dressing area was really a separate "room" complete with extra towels.

Day one of my stay was very nice.

Day two revealed quite a few problems. The internet service didn't work for several hours (could no longer connect to the internet, and, when I asked, was told other guests were experiencing the same issue). The refrigerator stopped working, and I had to move some small items to the lobby kitchen at 10 pm since another refrigerator wasn't available. The drain-pull in the vanity sink broke, and I got under the sink to try and fix it. Quite a reversal from my initial impression of the hotel. To the hotel's credit, a maintenance person did come to my room shortly after I notified them about the refrigerator problem (it was almost 10 pm; I figured they'd just deal with it the next morning).

As mentioned in another review of this property, sound does carry in this hotel. If a door closes at one end of the hallway and your room is at the other end, you will hear it as well as feel it (vibration). When I turned out the lights in my room at night, light from the hallway was clearly shining in around the doorway on three sides (top, doorknob, and bottom). There was enough space at the bottom of the door that I could not only see the hallway carpet clearly just outside the door, but, had someone been standing right up at the door, I would be able to see the front of his/her shoes. This seems like a very easy thing to fix and frankly greatly cheapened an otherwise nice room. When a guest occupied the room above me, it was readily noticeable due to the obvious noise that carried down into my room. I was also next door to the elevator shaft, and I could hear the elevator as well as the dinging of the bell to signal its arrival on adjacent floors.

What You Need to Know
The Midtown MARTA station is right next to this hotel, which is a huge asset. For $2.50, you can go anywhere in the MARTA system, including to the airport. The line through Midtown station goes directly to/from the airport without requiring any transfers at the main Five Points station downtown. While I didn't time it exactly, I'd estimate the train ride to/from the airport as a 20-25 minutes. It can be a challenge finding a seat during morning and early evening rush-hours, but I had no issues at 8 am leaving for the airport. Note: there are no luggage racks on the train; you schlep and hold what you bring with you. When you arrive at Midtown station from the airport, follow the signs to the 10th St. exit and make a left out onto 10th; hotel will be on your left at corner of 10th/ W. Peachtree. To go back to airport, make a right out of hotel onto 10th St. to Midtown Station and then make another right once you pay with your Breeze (trainfare) card; "Southbound/Airport" sign is clearly marked, directing you to the desired train platform.

This hotel charges $18/day (currently) for parking.

Also an asset to this hotel is its 1.5-block proximity to a large, well-stocked Publix supermarket. If you forget any toiletry items, you can get them here. I did not eat out on my trip but, instead, used the kitchen (frig/microwave) in my hotel room. The Midtown area of Atlanta can be somewhat pricey, so I opted to do this instead of pay for restaurant meals.

If sound bothers you, request a room away from the elevator shaft but also realize that the overall construction of this hotel doesn't seem to be as sound-proof as others are.

Breakfast is provided in the lobby each morning from 7-10 am. Like many hotels, it's heavy on the bad-carbohydrate options (waffles, sugary cereals, etc.), although they did have instant oatmeal in a plain variety. Didn't see one protein option (eggs, etc.), which was frustrating.

Bottom Line
The positive attributes of this hotel (which are significant) are its location (MARTA next door; Publix very close; easy 10-15 min. walk to Midtown attractions such as High Museum of Art) and its courteous, helpful staff. The negative attributes are that sound freely carries in the hallways/rooms and, in my one experience, the amenities don't always work. It's too bad about the latter because, had my experience encompassed only the first day of my stay, I'd give this hotel a higher star rating than I have.

Room Tip: Away from elevator if you don't want to hear it
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank coguy5280

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I was able to take the Marta from the Airport to the Midtown stop which is literally
around the corner (1/2 block) from the Hotel. It's pretty centrally located in
Midtown, if that's where you want to be. Plenty of restaurants and shops
around and the Publix Grocery is about a 1.5 blocks away (which is great
considering the hotel suites have a refrig and microwave in case you want
to stock up!)

The Hotel is fine, much the usual for a 3-4 star hotel.

Room Tip: get a high room, even on the 9th floor, I could hear some traffic noise in the wee hours
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank kmiami
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Excellent Location, VERY clean and Spacious rooms, and Courteous Staff.
Free Wi-fi, free breakfast, and we were even given a late chk-out until 3pm at no additional cost.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 December 2011

So I stayed here for a show at the Fox Theatre over Thanksgiving weekend based on the TripAdvisor reviews. I paid an addition $10 per night for a confirmed King Room.

The walk to the Fox was quick and it was conveniently located to the MARTA station. There was a liquor store and a grocery store across the street. They offer free starbucks coffee in the lobby 24 hours a day which is a nice perk.

The rooms were adequate but not particularly nice. They are larger than the average hotel room with a small galley kitchen and a bathroom with a separate area for the toilet and shower. The kitchen includes a mini-fridge, microwave, sink and coffee maker. The room has a couch as well as a bed. Half of the rooms face a busy street and the other half face the alley. There are no views from the hotel other than buildings, but the busy side is slightly more attractive. The front desk staff mentioned that people did not like the busy side due to the noise, but I didn't find it to be loud at all, but I live in downtown Chicago. They have standard hotel decor but do have down quilts instead of blankets.

The downsides? Well, first of all, as mentioned above I paid extra for a king bed because my spouse is VERY tall so it actually matters to us. When I checked in the condenscending staff person told me that rooms were "first come, first served" and we were out of luck and would have to accept a queen bed. Now, thats not a huge sacrifice and I didn't pay a lot extra, but it was just SO RUDE. He could have at least apologized and offered to refund the additional $10 but instead choose to talk down to me as if I were an imbecile.

Other than the staff, the room has a few downsides as well. The sheets are scratchy and cheap, more motel than hotel quality (I guess I've gotten spoiled by Hyatt brand hotels!).

The air in the room is either blowing ice cold, extremely hot or not at all. There is no fan option so the room got very stuffy since the window only opens about 6 inches.

The water did not get past luke warm in my shower, even after running it for 30 minutes. The water pressure was good though.

The worst part was the noise in the hallways though. Anytime anyone was in the hall you could hear EVERY word they said. I couldn't fault the guests since none of them were particularly loud, but it was awkward. The door was thin and very high off the floor for some reason which I think contributed to the problem.

Overall, I don't think I will be coming back to this hotel even if I'm in the area, but mostly because of the rude staff at the front desk.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Peachtree side have a better view but are louder. On the 6th Floor there is good water...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KaraBoula
MidtownNole, Assistant General Manager at Regency Suites, responded to this review, 21 December 2011
KaraBoula,

Thank you for your review. I have addressed most of the issues in your review with you personally. I will address the issue of the room decor though, which was not to your satisfaction. We did a full renovation of the hotel in 2006. We upgraded all televisions in the hotel to flat screens in 2010. All of our bedding is brand new and is only a few months old. The pictures on our website and all other travel websites are exactly what our rooms look like. If the feel of our sheets and decor did not meet your satisfaction, then I do apologize for that.

We definitely do have some rooms with great views. At one time Regency Suites Hotel was one of the tallest buildings in Midtown, but unfortunately taller buildings than the Regency Suites have been built in the area.

If you do come back to Atlanta, please let us know and I am sure we can turn your view around.

Chris Monkaitis
AGM
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I only stayed here for one night. We were attending a show at the Fox Theatre and this was a convenient place to stay. Within about a 20 minute walk to the Fox. This hotel is great. Very homey and comfortable, clean and helpful people.

If I had to stay here extended I would love it. The room is so comfortable and cozy. I will stay here again if I ever have the chance.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple