“Excellent overnight stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
greensboro
“Excellent overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Some friends and I travelled to Atlanta for a concert and decided to stay at the Ellis based on reviews we'd seen online. I had some work to do once we arrived, and internet access was arguably the easiest no-fuss process I've seen at a hotel. The front of house staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank john w
tlyon-mercado, General Manager at Ellis Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We are glad you have found a new 'home' in Atlanta. We strive to exceed expectations with a passion to serve others. Next time you visit, please save room for fantastic fare at Terrace. We are a sustainable, organic whenever possible, Farm-To-Table restaurant and currently work with over 27 local farmers, producers, artisans and fisherman. Oh, and the desserts are to-die-for! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I'm a frequent business traveler and even moreover a hotelier myself. That makes for a critical eye! The Ellis Hotel blew me away. My experience started with a phone call to them while I was lost and my GPS was of no assistance. Guest Services Agent, Karishma quickly assured me she would get me back just fine. Front Desk Manger, Ian then took over and stayed with me on the phone until I arrived. It was comforting when I was lost to know I had them helping me. Check in is smooth and pleasant, Calvin assisted me with my bags and got me settled in. There is an obvious attention to hotel security. I was told the elevators have key card access to each floor as well as the front door of the hotel after a certain hour. My room was well appointed with Molton Brown bath amenities (my favorite!), fantastic sheets, comfortable bed and good work space. I ordered room service for dinner and breakfast. Dinner was the best room service I have ever had at a hotel. The food was fresh, hot and delivered with a huge smile. My breakfast was exactly the same. After enjoying the room service food so much, I decided to eat in the restaurant on my last night which was equally as good. Friendly staff and food that made a NYC foodie very happy. I highly recommend this hotel to another business traveler. I will certainly be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter as there is street noise (its a city!).
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

The room was very nice, albeit small, with modern decor and a very comfortable bed. The hotel provides more upscale shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion than your typical hotel sundries. The ladies at the check-in desk were helpful and friendly.

We had two meals at the hotel, breakfast and lunch. Both were fantastic, and the service was great. We had martinis one night in the lobby bar. The bartender was very rude and would barely serve us. Maybe he assumed we were cheap and wouldn't tip because we used a Groupon for the drinks. Whatever the reason, it was unacceptable and offensive. He was very attentive to the older couple at the bar, but not to us.

Our biggest complaint was the part of town. We didn't feel safe walking around the city, and the traffic noise was quite loud at times. This particular complaint may be a little skewed because I really don’t like the city of Atlanta. We only visited the city to attend our friend’s wedding.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ETAL11
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

While admittedly a 1 night stay is not adequate for a completely accurate evaluation, there were several issues that made this a no-go for future visits. Most importantly, the HVAC unit in the unit was so loud, that it woke me up periodically throughout the night. It was so loud that we had to turn the volume up on the TV every time the fan turned on. If you are a heavy sleeper, this might not be a problem, but for me, it meant a terrible night's sleep.

The other issues were not quite as serious, but were nevertheless problematic. Front desk was near useless for information on the area and just general advice. The room, though not small, was awkwardly laid out. The bathroom was small and finishes were tired. And the view to neighboring buildings facades just feet away was dismal. There is not much to walk to in the neighborhood, though the MARTA station is right across the street (the bellman was the only one to volunteer that information)

All in all, this was an unpleasant experience. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
Thomaston, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Ellis and I was really disappointed. The room was very small and the only space that was available for standing was just below the end of the bed, which was arm length from the TV. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable but for the price paid, the marriott or the Hampton Inn ould have giving me a whole lot more the my money. The food was very expensive for what was ordered. I had grits, fruit, omelet and my significant other had grits, eggs and ham and we paid $47. I do think the staff was very nice and I was on the 5th floor so I heard toilets being flushed and showers going in the middle of the night. The layout of the hotel was not appealing because at the entrance, the only thing there was the front desk and the staff did not inform us of anything else they offered (for ex. a lounge or restaurant). So I would not be returning and I will not be referring anyone here.

Room Tip: Please don't always believe the pictures on the internet. Also ask to see one of the rooms befo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple