“Great Breakfast Food”

Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Old Fourth Ward
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We decided we wanted breakfast before going to the Zoo Atlanta, so we searched Trip Advisor for Breakfast and this was the #2 place and close to our friends’ home where we are staying, so we stopped in. Because of the review of another member, we decided to each try the scrambled cream cheese eggs with cinnamon raisin bagel and we split a side of bacon and a side of cheese grits. Usually we get skimpy thin bacon at diners in PA where we live so we were pleasantly surprised by the large thick cut bacon we received, and the three slices was plenty to share. The eggs were amazing as expected from the other review we read. I would never have thought of combining cream cheese into scrambled eggs, but I have a new favorite now. It was our first time trying grits, and they were ok, but for my taste they need some seasoning because they were a little bland. That is just me though, and maybe that is the standard way they are cooked. I would imagine adding some salt would help tremendously as I love salt, but I refrained this time and tried some maple syrup instead. That was pretty good. If you never ate grits before, it’s the thickness of oatmeal, but the texture and taste reminded me of Cream of Wheat or Cream of Farina. The bagels were huge and I couldn’t even finish the half that I spread the preserves on. I asked the waiter what flavor it was and he said today was blueberry. I think they have a different flavor each day and it looks like it might be freshly prepared. Everything was great and the waiter was very friendly, and attentive, despite the place being very busy. We had to get on a list but we waited maybe 5 minutes. I would come back in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Stopped in here today for a late lunch and had the best "Skillet Heap" that I've ever tasted. Loads of wonderful spuds topped by your choice of eggs fixed how you want them and a list of other ingredients, I chose bacon and diced ham. Comes with your choice of toast (many varieties to choose from) or a biscuit. Other menu items include Chicken & Waffles, and Shrimp Grits. Amazing service, friendly atmosphere, and delicious food. Bring your CASH, no credit cards accepted.

1  Thank Mary W
Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Happens to visit M.L.Kings Home and the Civil Rights Museum and found by chance 10 min walk away a really yummy diner! Food service and charm all excellent in a real live Diner, very reasonable and delicious, well worth a visit!

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

One of our friends turned us onto this place. Its cash only, but they have an ATM on premises. They don’t take reservations so it’s first come first served which is nice. The service was fantastic, it’s like she read our minds on when we wanted things and made great suggestions. The pecan pancakes are to die for, best cheese grits I’ve ever had and they have cream cheese scrambled eggs which are out of this world! Also the chicken and waffles were amazing!

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

On our way to the Martin Luther King Historical Park looking for breakfast and found this gem. Parking is limited, place is busy because the food is GOOD! Note, CASH ONLY

Been to Thumbs Up Diner? Share your experiences!