“breakfast standard”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Old Fourth Ward
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Always a good standard around Atlanta and one in downtown East Point. If only their coffee was as good as the food!

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Living in Atlanta for over 40 years, I've seen a lot of dining establishments come and go. I hope Thumbs Up never goes away. This is my "go to" restaurant". If I've had a tough week, or just want to feel better, a visit to Thumbs Up helps restore me. I don't know how they do it, but Thumbs Up never disappoints.
Although the food is consistently good at all of their locations, the diner on Edgewood Avenue is special. The place is buzzing. If you're from out of town this is a good place to see a cross-section of Atlanta. The clientele is comprised of downtown business people, hip twenty-somethings engaged in pioneering the formerly depressed Old Fourth Ward, local blue-collar workers, musicians, professors from nearby universities, students, and so on. You will be treated well no matter who you are.
The diner consists of two rooms: one has a row of comfy booths and counter seating surrounding an amazingly efficient diner-grill, and the other has booths and tables. The walls are exposed brick with funky art that randomly changes. The music is a different mix each day, but usually R&B or '80s pop played loud enough for the staff to sing along, but not loud enough to preclude a normal conversational tone with your party.
I try to never go to Thumbs Up on weekends because of the long wait. Opt of counter seating if there is a line - you'll be comfortable, get lots of attention and maybe meet someone interesting. My favorite time is at 2:00 pm on a weekday as there is no wait.
This diner serves breakfast and lunch. Breakfasts tend to be huge, but tasty. You can also order ala carte. I don't know how they do it, but every time I order poached eggs they cook them exactly right! If ordering french toast (Challah style) - one slice is plenty. The spuds (grilled chopped potatoes, onion & bell pepper) are always good, not over or under cooked, and soft, but crispy. The lunch menu offers a variety of sandwiches, burgers, vegetarian options and blue plates. I like the grilled chicken salad sandwich and their quesadillas and black beans.
Thumbs Up has some of the best wait staff I've ever seen. They act as a happy family. Diners don't just belong to one waiter or waitress - they all take care of you with equal attention. You get called "pumpkin" or "sweetie", you're updated on the status of your order, you are checked on to make sure you have everything you need, refills are offered (I've never once had to look for someone to refill my coffee!), they even offer to give your beverage in a to-go cup when you leave. All of this is done non-obtrusively. The wait staff, cooks and bus boys seem genuinely happy to be there, and happy that you're there too.
Now for the small print: parking is available in a lot to the left of diner (when facing) and on the street. Lock your car. There are usually people asking for money on the street. Thumbs Up does not accept checks or credit cards, but they have a ATM in the back near the restrooms. Alcohol is not served. The diner is closed on Mondays and closes at 3:00 pm.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

I love their biscuits and homemade jam most of all. I tend to pretty much get the same thing every time I go lol which is just breakfast. But I love that they have a turkey sausage option available and their multigrain biscuits are absolutely to live for. I have never had a bad meal here.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This is a classic Atlanta diner with food quality several notches above what you'd expect. I came with friends, sat at the counter, and had great fluffy cream cheese scrambled eggs with cheese grits and biscuits with home made blueberry jam, all washed down with very good coffee and juice. It was packed the whole time we were there on a Saturday morning. Good buzz.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

The breakfast is excellent- especially when you don't care for the traditional eggs, bacon kind of thing...