“Great southern style”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Visited recently with my daughter. Had great service and excellent food! It would be great if there were a few more vegetarian options (for my daughter), but she loved the ravioli. Everything from the drinks and appetizers to the delicious desserts was great.

There are newer reviews for Empire State South

Reviewed 10 December 2011

My husband and I recently visited to celebrate our anniversary. We had a lovely meal, which was perfectly portioned and well-thought out. I personally started with the parsley root soup with crispy farro, had the fromage blanc and pecan ravioli with brown butter as my entree, and finished with the pear fritters with butterscotch ice cream. Everything was fabulous. My only complaint was that I included the information that it was our anniversary (and that I wanted it to be special) in my reservation, but nothing was done.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

The starters in 'jars' are well worth ordering, taste sensations. The wine list is excellent, quite International.
There is aSouthern style for sure, a new twist on old favourites. The ribeye was superb. Keep some room for the deserts, they are delicious, a brandy snap curled wafer was a highlight.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I've got to give it up, the food at ESS is ridiculous. I highly recommend it to anyone who's in Atlanta and looking for a unique and extremely tastey (sp?) dining experience. You cannot go wrong with anything on the menu.

2  Thank rjhosker
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Atlanta has so many dining options to choose from and this year for our wedding anniversary I wanted to try something different. I was pleasantly surprised by what they offered as well as food that enticed by taste buds.
Since my hubby does not eat pork, some of the selections were limited. Their menu is seasonal so I'd suggest you check their menu before reserving.

I started off with the Parsley root soup. Oh how divine. I read that their Vidalia onion soup is good, but because the menu changes, this was such a bonus. It was not too salty; the soup came out hot, not warm like some places. I didn’t care for the mushrooms, but the subtle use of the apples made a nice sweet compliment. I had hubby try it as he's not as adventurous as I, and he ordered a bowl as well.

They also provide bread of two kinds, a regular dinner roll and grilled sourdough bread drizzled in olive oil. We both agreed that the smoked flavor of the sourdough was awesome and it paired greatly with the soup.

Entrees: I had the smoked duck breast and my husband had the trout.
The duck breast was very good, smoked perfectly to medium (though I like mine medium well). It must have been a hit because I saw at least 4 other plated dishes with the duck breast.
Paired wine: we had the waiter pair our wine with our dinner, and she made excellent choices for us.

My husband said he would not go back, but I would once the menu changes so I can experience other dishes. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try something different.

Word of Caution: Because we went at night, it was confusing on how to get to the front door. We assumed that we could go through the main residence entry. We were wrong. Instead you had to walk to the left of the doors, under the awning.