“Nice Hotel, but with some issues”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #106 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 29 January 2011

This property is in a new part of the city for me (midtown), and I like the area. Pleasantly upscale with many older homes and small restaurants/shops in the general vacinity. I very much liked the modern decor floor to ceiling glass wall in my room, which was on the 19th floor with a very nice view. I was there for a conference for 5 days, so some things that weren't an issue for me on this trip might have been if I'd been paying for it myself: 1) Parking is quite pricey for Atlanta - $30/day for vallet, which is only $3 more than self-park. That's definitely that way to go, since self-park does not have in/out privilages. 2) Internet access is for a fee. My company supposedly had a negotiated rate that included basic internet (although at a slower connectivity speed). There were faster connection options also available at an additional cost. I'm afraid that this may well be the wave of the future for hotels. The hotel restaurant (Spice Market, I believe) is Asian cuisine and even the catered events we had there tended to be variations of that. Their kitchen staff seemed to be somewhat one trick ponies. In general I found this property to be worthy of a four star rating, but there were significant (although relatively minor) detail issues, both on the housekeeping side and with property maintenance. When I checked in there was no toilet paper on the hanger. There was an extra roll under the sink, however. There was also no Do Not Disturb sign on my door. On one of the 5 days of my stay (a weekday) the staff failed to deliver my paper under the door. Not a big deal, but this is one of the touches that should be there at this level. They have a very nice fitness facility, but I found no remotes for any of the TV's on the bikes, stairsteppers, etc. I specifically asked about this and never received a response. There seemed to be a problem with the towel chiller, too. On the plus side, the staff was friendly and professional, worthy of an upscale property. All in all, this hotel rates a wobbly 4 out of 5 stars (really closer to 3.5). Decent, but not outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for W Atlanta Midtown

Reviewed 4 January 2011

I read some of the reviews on here and worried that this W was not up to snuff with the others I had visited. Wrong!

I stayed for 2 nights with my wife, 17 y/o son and 7 y/o son. We were in town to do some sightseeing. The suite plus extra bedroom gave us lots of room to spread out and relax when in the hotel. The rooms were super clean and well appointed.

If there was 1 complaint it was the ambiguity of the lobby area. When we first arrived it appeared that the hotel was connected to a mall of sorts, it is, I asked a couple of employees if there was a way to walk to a nearby restaurant through the mall and I was told I could walk outside to get there. It was 27° out and we were not bundled up.

FYI - if you are staying there, Shout, a fantastic restaurant is off that mall along with a Bagel shop in the mall. If you go to the 2nd floor, there are a set of glass doors leading to the mall.

Aside from that small detail, rocking staff, attentive and eager to please. Fantastic property through and through. I will be back in the spring / summer for another visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Amazing hotel, amazing views, great location. Very friendly staff. Clean rooms. Restaurant had great food and the lounge was excellent. Even the conference area was wonderful. Booking a wholesale rate through Resorts Plus International topped it off to make my stay a 100%

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I was so excited to take my husband to the W for his birthday weekend... we did a whole weekend in atlanta and were going to see cirque du soleil at atlantic station, so we chose this particular W because of its location... if you do not read the rest of my review read this: DO NOT GO TO W MIDTOWN. try a different W.

Everything was okay on friday night... we had a wonderful room, and it was nice. modern and clean. pretty much what i expected. the downstairs bar is loud, so if youre not into that... dont go here.

on saturday however, my husband and i were awkened by the smell of marijuana coming into our room... yes, it was so bad that it WOKE US UP at approx. 5 am... we immediately called the front desk... who said they would send a manager and security. what we got was a guy with a can of deodorizer, who sprayed our rooom and made comments like "you should smell it when snoop dogg is here". he told us to try and get some sleep and acted like this was a normal occurance. it was obvious the smoke was coming through the vent in our room from the room next door... but they did not knock on their door or disturb the pot smokers at all.

i woke up with a miserable headache from the smoke and my husband was feeling sick from it as well. and at 10 am. while we were getting ready for the day, the smoke started coming in again. i cant even tell you how bad it was... and im a 24 yr old... its not like im some prude old person. so we called again... and were told they would send someone up. 10 mins later, no one had come. so we called again, and had the same thing happen. finally, i think on our third call a woman from housekeeping came in and said she agreed with us, and the smell was terrible. and she didnt even get close to the vent!

when we spoke to the front desk we were told there was nothing they could do about this. i know our room was non-smoking... so i would assume the one next door was as well. and yes, there is always something you can do. we should have at least been offered an upgraded room the first time we called to complain. we continued to be polite with the hotel staff despite my annoyance. When we went to check out i asked to speak to a manager. after all was said and done, they did not charge us for the night and gave us a little credit towards our first night.

what a disappointment... and for the record- i am NOT a complainer. i have never asked to be compensated for a unpleasant stay at a hotel. this was ridiculous. i have heard such good things about the W hotels, so maybe the others are better. i know this one was bought and renovated as well, so i would have higher expectations if i stay at a W ever again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lorib24
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Young, very thin female working bar area Friday and Saturday nights 11 & 12 November 2010, 1st floor, solicited sex to at least 3 males that were with their wives. She also deliberately bent over (with her barely covering her private areas extra short skirt) in front of males with female partners. In addition, seemingly single males walking around were summoned to the 4th floor for some action. I find it hard to believe the management in unaware that a potential prostitution/ solicitation of sex is going on in supposedly top notch hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple