“AMAZING”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #107 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed 3 August 2017

What a superior Hotel - My son Jamal is platinum with Starwood and W is his first choice. I booked up a room last minute and called and they said they would hold a suite as an upgrade. His flight was late and when he checked in it was not longer available. Adriana at the front desk whom I had spoken to earlier stated another guest who was same status arrived earlier but she did upgrade my son. She could hear in my voice I was disappointed. Most people would have concluded the call, but Adriana went above and beyond and contacted my son and sent up a late snack. WOW!! is all I can say. My son loves W - I am Lifer with W, and I always say, Starwood is the Star away from Home for my family. MAHALO to W Atlanta Downtown and to Adriana!!!

Room Tip: Any room is great but the Fantastic is awesome
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for W Atlanta Midtown

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We were in South Carolina and decided to spend the last few days of our trip to the USA in Atlanta as we would fly home from there.
We booked 3 nights at the W Midtown and drove for 6 hours arriving on Friday evening after battling Atlantas horrendous traffic.
The first impression is a bit chaotic and the valet parking was very busy and there were a lot of guests arrivingand to be honest we felt a bit old as the lobby was a lot more casual than most hotels of a similar star rating.
But in saying that the check in was efficient and courteous .
We were on the 8th floor and were soon impressed by the quality of the room although the decor and dim lights were not really to our taste.
The room had everything we wanted,a good bed and a good bathroom all very clean and quality towels and linens,plus free water.
The partial city view was just that and I assume the rooms the other side of the corridor had a view of Piedmont Patk which would have been better.
The breakfast buffet was included in our room rate and that's good because it wasn't much to write home about although the waiting staff were pleasant enough.
We visited the pool area or Wet deck as its called but it was more like a pool party and very busy and noisy so we didn't tarry there.
The real redemption of this hotel is the staff and in no particular order I must praise Clement the hotel driver,Kevin the desk clerk who went beyond his job description helping us and Brian the concierge who was truly outstanding .!
The location is great and there are bikes available so you can ride down to the park and on to the Beltline which is worth a look.
On our last day Monday we visited the pool and we were two of six people maximum there all day.
Weekends are party time but in saying that there was no disturbance on the three nights we stayed.
So all in all a pleasant surprise after an initial doubt if we had made a mistake booking here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Don't take your family here. Don't do a business conference here. Ever. I have travelled the world and this was easily the worst hotel I have stayed at in 10 years.

Aside from the gaudy decoration and constant "beat/techno" music, the atmosphere was that of a brothel. It is almost unbelievable the extent to which the entire motif of the Hotel promotes this atmosphere: the DJ mixing till 2:00am in the morning that could be heard through a closed window above the 6th floor, the fluorescent decor (see picture), the (what appears to be) velvet covered furniture everywhere, the massive amounts of booze on the desk in your suite (see picture of just the stuff out in the open) or "The Essentials Pleasure Set" (see picture) complete with condom, lubricant, and mints for sale in each room. One businessman with us at the conference remarked "that no amount of Clorox in the world" would get him to sit on one of the 'cable suspended' velvet couches.

On top of all that, the leather headboard (yes you read that right) suspended by chains (see picture) was pealing (see picture), one of our sheets had a hole in it (see picture), one of our towels was severely frayed at the edges, and the bathroom, nightstand, and desk were visibly dirty. Lastly, as we looked out the window at the view we noticed an orange white liquid in an oblong lump (too gross to post) on the sunshade. We literally did not unpack for the very first time in our many travels. Bottom line, if you want to party in a dirty hotel this is your place. If you are a businessman or traveling with family go someplace else.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank MattyIrish
WAtlantaMidtownGM, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Hello MattyIrish.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am very disappointed that your stay with us was not met with your expectations and for that I sincerely apologize. I would very much appreciate if you would reach out to me directly so that we can discuss these issues in great detail. I can be reached directly at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Regards,
James Green
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

I've been here for less than 24 hours. Check in was easy, room cute, but everything after that was downhill. The bartenders in the lobby area don't make eye contact, you definitely have to ask for something rather than a "What can I get you?" I ordered room service and was told "30-45 minutes" so I called when it had been over an hour. They said they had no record of my order. How does that happen? Offered to comp, which was great, but two strikes on the first night already is all I need to know. For the price, not worth it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2017

Disclosure: Platinum SPG on a half cash / half points stay.

Picked this hotel due to its proximity to a concert venue (Botanical Gardens concerts in the park) and because we are SPG loyal.

On check in, didn't get a "thanks for your loyalty", just a "I see that you're a platinum and we weren't able to upgrade you, but we were able to get you into a quiet room on a high floor."

...AKA a room far away from the elevator that is clean and ready now.

Our room was in dire need of TLC. The headboard was nicked up all over, torn open and coming apart. The desk was scuffed beyond repair. Shower head and control were all bent and askew. Really, just a completely unacceptable amount of wear and tear that has clearly been neglected for years.

Speaking of years, I decided to indulge in an in-room split of white wine: Conundrum Chardonnay, I believe a 2015? This cost $25, I think. Conundrum is a nice wine.

Poured out my last glass and a TON of gross sediment came flowing out. How long has that wine been sitting in there??

The one bright spot was Trace. For breakfast (which we opted for complimentary as our Platinum gift), my wife had the French Toast and I had the Avocado Toast. Both were seriously delicious, and crafted with care. Service was easy going and pleasant, too.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
WAtlantaMidtownGM, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Hello CaribbeanOrBust88.
Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments and even more so THANK YOU for your loyalty to SPG and W Atlanta-Midtown. I do apologize you did not feel appreciated at check-in as we do want all of our guests to feel that and especially our SPG Members.
We are happy to report that our hotel is in the beginning stages of a full renovation and we do hope you will come back again and check out all of the amazing improvements. We know you will be impressed. And thank you for your wonderful comments about TRACE. I will certainly share those with my team. We do look forward to seeing you and your wife again soon.
All the best,