“Good Caribbean style small plates”
Review of Melaza Bistro

Melaza Bistro
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Woodstock
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Latin, Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our goal is to provide you and your guest with a casual fine dining experience where classic New England cuisine meets with subtle tropical flavors. !Let Melaza be your Place for Dining.....Enjoy Melaza's relaxed and refined atmosphere featuring outdoor seating on the front patio and back terrace. (Weather permitting). We offer Gluten Free, Tapas and Diner options.
Reviewed 7 August 2018

This is a charming cafe, including some outdoor seating, with a Caribbean vibe. Lots of rum drinks; I had some kind of rum punch which was fairly sweet - in a fruity way, not cloying, but still sweet. I had three small plates for dinner. The first course was fried plantain strips, with guacamole and a sort of salsa. The plantains were really good, then and crunchy. I wish there had been more guac and salsa to put on them. Then I had two hot items: the jumbo garlic shrimp and a vegetarian empanada. The shrimps were really good - four very large ones, in a bath of garlic/herb butter. The empanada was OK -- the crust was a bit thick and dry (I guess that's how empanadas are supposed to be) and the filling was kind of boring. I know there was some pumpkin in there, and probably some kind of legumes, but it just didn't have much character. I found dipping the empanadas in the garlic butter from the shrimps worked pretty well, even if that wasn't what the chef intended! Service was pleasant and helpful.

1  Thank FoodieOnAHarley

Reviewed 1 August 2018

We were so glad we were able to get an outdoor table since it was a truly beautiful evening. Service was attentive and helpful. My husband had a Melaza Punch which he greatly enjoyed along with the special "Vermont Farms" Mojo Marinated Tenderloin Tips. I had the Jumbo Garlic Shrimp (small plate). I have to admit I asked for additional rolls so I could "sop up" the sauce from the shrimp - yes it was that good! Both of us were extremely pleased and would return again if in Woodstock in the future.

1  Thank Sheila K
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Great menu and so so atmosphere and service. However the food more than makes up for these. The smoked chicken empanadas were great. The pork shank was huge moist and tasty. My wife’s scallops were very good as well (per her-I don’t like scallops). The Tres Leche cake was one of the best we’ve ever had. Highly recommend and prices are reasonable.

1  Thank phmokda
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We had two dinners at Melazo Bistro during our stay in Woodstock! They were perfect. Absolutely the best dinners we had all week while vacationing in Woodstock. I had the chef specials and my husband had a vegetarian entree. Superb!

1  Thank Katkier
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

We had three entrees - salmon, pork shank, and the sea scallops. I'm normally a very critical eater but the chef sent us the best meal of our vacation. All three were great tasting and perfectly cooked.

1  Thank flipperlite

Been to Melaza Bistro? Share your experiences!