1,554 results
All reviews alexis meylaq self catering guest relations manager heritage trail roman road mini mart bus stop xemxija bay the penthouse one bedroom apartment quiet holiday reception staff bus service winter break visit malta fresh towels local buses
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in a self catering room, it was in need for some updating to be honest, everything was well used and very old but the bathroom was really nice for some reason. I think the hotel needs updating in general the lifts and furniture were old, pool area also a bit dirty but that maybe due to it being out of season.hotel staff very helpful tho and there’s a nice little shop. Never tried any of the food there but the dining area did look nice and clean. I could also smell cigarette smoke downstairs as well. I didn’t pay much for the room so I didn’t expect to much, it was ok for a cheap getaway I did enjoy it and it’s in a nice quiet little area. Just don’t pay over the odds to stay there.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 2 December 2017

I decided to go directly to the hotel to book this as it was very last minute. Alexis was really helpful. I emailed her to see if there were any apartments left and was able to book in no time, with no trouble and she even phoned me back in England to arrange it all. A great benefit of booking directly with the hotel was free airport pickup and drop off, 15% discount as it was a November deal and a free harbour cruise which we really enjoyed! I was there to Scuba Dive for the week with another friend so it was nice to learn some history of Malta while we were there too.

My apartment had a fully equipped kitchen which was really useful to self cater as i have several food allergies and its impossible to eat out. The swimming pool looked great fun and I even dipped my toe in there! There was free wifi in the reception area which actually made it really sociable down there as quite a few people would be there checking the internet.

Great place to book for a scuba diving holiday!

Room Tip: The apartments facing the swimming pool were a lovely view over the hills aswell. Could also see part of the bay if i looked down the hill.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Dear Emma,

Thank you for your kind comments you have shared here on TripAdvisor and for booking directly with us. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next visit in order to arrange all you request prior to your arrival. All the best for 2018!!

Reviewed 1 December 2017

My dive buddy and I recently returned from two weeks in Malta. We stayed in the Porto Azzurro which turned out to be an excellent choice, well situated for us, with all the local amenities we needed. While not specifically a diving hotel it is well situated for divers and non-divers alike.

I started out in a single room for a couple of days until my dive buddy showed up. It was clean, had basic kitchen essentials (bar fridge, hot plate etc.) and was reasonably priced. As a single traveler it would have been adequate for me.

When my buddy arrived we moved into the penthouse suite. We wanted personal privacy but chose it for the ocean views and the extra peace on the top floor of the hotel. Pricing was competitive with the one and two bedroom suites elsewhere in the hotel.

It only had one bedroom which went to my buddy and I was more than comfortable on the futon in the living room. It had a fully equipped kitchen (full fridge, stove, dishes etc.), two TVs and two full bathrooms, so while we were 'sharing' the suite, we actually had our own space.

The panoramic views of the bay and the valley from our enormous wrap-around patio were as advertised. In fact all the images on the web site are accurate as to the hotel and surroundings.

Being on an active bus route, trips to the Gozo ferry, Valletta, the Old city of Mdina or anywhere else on the island are convenient and cheap. We used the buses frequently and found no need to rent a car.

The 24 x 7 front desk staff were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Travelling from the west coast of Canada, arriving and leaving at different times our travel arrangements were a bit complex. Our sole contact was Alexis Meylaq, the Sales and Guest Relations Manager. She made our reservations and planning simple.

The Porto Azzurro is not in the center of 'the action' and not as new as some of the more expensive or more modern hotels downtown. But if you are looking for value for money, solid local amenities, accessibility to anywhere on the island of Malta, then Porto Azzurro definitely deserves your consideration.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a full kitchen if only to handle breakfasts and snacks. Local stores have everything you need to stock it.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Les N

Dear Les,

We thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be your choice hotel while visiting Malta, whilst coming all the way from Canada.

We are delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, that our facilities, the rooms you and your buddy occupied were to your liking, and that we were able to provide you with a delightful stay, while on your diving holiday in Malta.

We will be more than happy if you decided to return to our Porto Azzurro hotel as our valued Guest. All the best for 2018!!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

I have already booked my next trip for next month! I am a seasoned solo traveller, now use a walking stick. I was treated with great kindness at every turn..I booked direct and got a great rate and free return airport transport and Harbour cruise..thanks Alexis..all staff and especially Joanne, front desk, who met me and went over and above to oblige.Away from the main road so very quiet, located at the bottom of a hill but managed very well with my stick, bus stop to rest of Malta just at the bottom of the hill, less than 5 minutes easy walk.Easy transport to Melliha and Goza and best of all, everyone speaks English, as in the whole of Malta...

Room Tip: Lifts to all floor so very accessible, small shop on-site, with helpful staff
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Marie,

Thank you for your lovely review!

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your valuable feedback. Your comments have been shared with Joanne.

Thank you again for your review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

We have been to Malta on lots of occasions staying in various parts and accommodation, we had a two bedroom apartment, it was clean, spacious and well equipped, everything you needed. This is a quieter part of Malta... being a little way from the bustle and busyness of Bugibba, lovely to get to the the North of the Island. One of the receptionist... Madeline?? I think she was called, was friendly, helpful and cheery, one other.... not so, especially when we arrived.
My only criticism was the breakfasts, we ate out the rest of the time. I appreciate that different people expect/like different things, but for three of us out of a party of four, we were disappointed ! It was a bit drab, not a great selection of things and not very appetising. I think a re-vamp of the restaurant may make it a bit more pleasant, it’s very much in need of some attention. I would use it again, but as self catering.

Room Tip: ours was fine, over looking pool in quiet season
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Dear Luna,

Thank you for your review and for choosing our Porto Azzurro Aparthotel.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that your overall stay with us was enjoyable, that our facilities, the two bedroom apartment you occupied, was clean, spacious and well equipped, and to your liking. We also thank you for your constructive comments in regards the breakfast selection at the restaurant, which I shared with the relevant department heads.

Once again, we are pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and to hear that you will be returning. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your next visit in order to arrange all your accommodation request prior to your arrival. All the best for 2018!!