Gillieru Harbour Hotel
Dolmen Hotel Malta(St. Paul's Bay)
US$156
  • Beachfront
Hotel Santana(St. Paul's Bay)
US$114
Primera Hotel(St. Paul's Bay)
US$72
US$65
  • Restaurant
Qawra Palace Hotel(St. Paul's Bay)
US$96
US$91
  • Beachfront
US$99
US$92
  • Pool
Salini Resort(St. Paul's Bay)
US$247
US$164
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Topaz Hotel(St. Paul's Bay)
  • Restaurant
Porto Azzurro(St. Paul's Bay)
  • Pool
Porto del Sol(St. Paul's Bay)
  • Restaurant
San Pawl Hotel(St. Paul's Bay)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmary rosesea viewpaul's islandwet roomgreat positiontravel kettlebus stopcold meatscooked breakfastchanged dailyquiet areatowels changed every daysmall fridgebed and breakfast basiscleaning staffsun loungersrestaurant staff
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The location is great, as are the views. Tihis hotel has to be one of the most desirable in the locality in terms of ambience/location. The restaurant and bar staff are extremely friendly and courteous, and the reception staff were always very helpful. You have to take the time to chat to the staff, as they will be really pleased to give you an insight into the local transport, what is going on in the resort and the towns nearby, and the real culture of Malta. True, the food is simple, but each day there would be one or two things which were really tasty and the meat/fish is well cooked high quality. A minor cosmetic refresh to the interior and some of the fixtures and fittings would ensure that it has a high four-star rating (maybe new tvs and shower heads should be the priority). Don't let you put this off though, I am sure that if you have a problem the staff will be prepared to help as much as they can. I was lucky with the quietness of my room and the amazing views, so overall it was a great place to get back to after a busy day travelling round the amazing island that is Malta.

Room Tip: Worth opting for the sea view, but in bad weather the road facing ones will be much more protected (and therefore there will be much less wind noise).
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jstravellerUk
Reviewed 25 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Gillieru for 9 nights in early April. As a frequent visitor to Malta over many years, I am aware of the differences in their interpretation of a 4 star hotel, so there were no real surprises with this hotel. In a nutshell, it is an excellent hotel. The reception staff are fantastic, particularly the female member of the team, who was welcoming, helpful and was always smiling. The breakfast staff were all excellent and very attentive. The public areas are a little dated but comfortable and not at all tatty, with free WiFi.

My room was very nice. I was travelling alone this time and had a lovely seaview room with a balcony – it was well worth a nominal upgrade fee. I had the sun on the balcony from 230pm and could watch the sun go down. The sound of the water lapping at the harbour wall outside was wonderful to fall asleep and wake up to. The bed was comfy and the bathroom adequate – clean and with toiletries provided. Shower was powerful although I did have to squat to get my head under. The television had a few channels including SkyNews and a great Arabic movie channel in English so there was always something to watch in the evenings. The fridge was a great bonus and I stocked it up with water/fizzys so I was always able to have a cold drink. Yes, I missed having tea making facilities, but it was warm so it wasn't a huge problem. You could always take a travel kettle if travelling in winter. The aircon/heating was operational, although I slept with the balcony door open as there was a lovely sea breeze.

Breakfast was good. There were always 2 hot food options, including eggs, each day. Lots of yummy Maltese Hobz (bread), rolls, cheeses, ham, cereal, juices, fresh fruit and toast/jams. Tea and coffee was topped up as long as you wanted it. I did not go half board but I did eat in the attached Gilleru fish restaurant one evening and it was good, but not great. I think it is probably better in a higher season. Good local restaurants were Da Rosi, and Damiano's, both very close by.

The hotel is in a lovely quiet harbour locale, but with a short 10 minute walk into the bustling town of Bugibba with its restaurants and shops. The view of the islands in St Paul’s Bay is really breathtaking. This view is also a feature when sat in the breakfast room and the lovely pool deck area. In my view it is in an ideal place.

The only thing that slightly tainted my experience of this hotel was the housekeeping. It was inconsistent. Some days my towels were replaced, some days they weren’t. My bedding was not always made (just the cover slung over), and the sheets and pillowcases were not changed in 9 nights – something I really felt was unacceptable for any hotel, let alone a 4 star. I would not have minded so much but after using aftersun they do get a little messy – and it was so obvious! I tried leaving a tip but no better. On the 7th night I moved into the other bed (it was a twin room) and took the spare clean pillowcases from the wardrobe. Other guests did not have the same issue so I think it must be the luck of the draw with the maid. This is the main reason for the 4 rather than 5 rating.

All in all, I would definitely go back to this hotel – it really was extremely friendly and very comfortable. I travelled with Chevron and would recommend their outstanding service.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room - it's worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Debs_A_H
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The last time I reviewed this hotel was in 2007. The I rated it an excellent base from which to explore Malta. Since then my ideas have not changed at all. The accommodation is certainly of a very high standard (not international 4 star, but what do you really expect?) - very clean and comfortable. Excellent food (paying the extra for half board is worthwhile, as evening meals are excellent and it saves the walk each day to find a different place to eat), and the staff are really wonderful - nothing is too much trouble for them. I can only reiterate that the big plus for us is the position of the hotel. It allows easy access to the rest of the island, by either bus or car, but is so placed that it is away from the noise and bustle of many of the more "popular" areas. With plenty of street parking, and easy access to the shops etc in St Paul's and Bugibba you should really want for nothing. In recent years the addition of free wifi in the reception area is a great boon if you need to keep on top of things at home.

Suffice it to say when we have been there the majority of guests, like us, have been there before - the fact that the majority are so happy to regularly return is surely the best recommendation any hotel can have.

Room Tip: Its worth paying the extra for a sea view room, the views are wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anisah
Reviewed 16 April 2012

As a regular traveller to Malta, I always think that the stars allocated to Malta hotels are often in reality not worthy (by at least one star) of their allocation, but in this case, it is about right.

We have stayed at the Fortina, Pergola, Seabank, Luna and in Villa's and by far is this the friendlist most accomodating hotel we've stayed at in Malta. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff - we needed to move the beds around upon arrival - this was sorted out in minutes ... you could not ask for more.

We stayed for a week in April over Easter on a half board basis. The room was a little tired, however, it had great views and was pleny big enough my husband, me and our 3 year old. The room was clean, sheets and towels were changed daily. The shower in the bathroom was over the bath, however, you couldnt wash your hair in it, without kneeling down - as it is quite low down on the wall ... but to be honest, it was not a problem.

A lot has been made of the breakfast on Trip Advisor. There was plenty of food availble for breakfast ... at least two hot items daily (bacon & eggs, Sausge & Hash Browns etc ... ), toast, cereals, fruit, cold meats, cheeses, ranges of different rolls and breads. Three different juices and tea and coffee a plenty - what is there not to like?

In terms of the evening meal, there was always a choice of 3 starters (pasta, soup and salads), a choice of 3 main courses (norally 2 meats and a fish), vegtables and potatoes. The chocie of desserts was also lovely. There was one night where our three year old wanted an omlette and without any problem - a cheese omlette was made - and it was beautiful - nothing was ever too much trouble.

Trying to get a three year old to sit for an hour at dinner can be tricky, however, even in his most restless moments, the staff were more than accomodating and helpful. Our little boy was made to feel very special by the staff and the guests.

Mary Rose (reception), Raymond and Charlie (dining room) were all stand out staff, that would encourage me to return to this hotel again when we return to Malta next year!

Room Tip: We had a sea view at the end of a corridor which was excellent
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family