“beauty everywhere the eye may turn... and just perfect food!”
Review of Lupaia

Lupaia
Reviewed 16 August 2017

try to get a deluxe room, they are much roomier and have a great view. you will need a car to get around and enjoy Montepulciano, Montefolonico and Pienza (a must!). Let yourself be emerged in the (endless) beauty of the area... and enjoy the most delicious, fresh food on site.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are much roomier
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina G
There are newer reviews for Lupaia

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We stayed at Lupaia for 2 nights but I would stay there forever. Lupaia is a fantastic place, with impressive gardens, beutiful common áreas, incredible pool and very very kind staff. We visited this family owned agroturismo hotel as part of our honeymoon and we loved every single momento spent there. Apart from enjoying a very beautiful room with very congortable bed, we had a private garden. The breakfast was simply fantastic, the cappuccino, high-class and the food, 0-kilometre.
When we arrived Christine (the receptionist) served us a glass of wine in the garden meanwhile Bruno brought our luggage to the room Aurora. we really loved the place and I recommend having dinner in Lupaia's restaurant. The Chef, Andrea, is very nice guy and a very very good cook.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivana A
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

It's hard to describe just how wonderful this little hideaway is. A Tuscan delight of tranquility and romance with the best service and staff I have ever come across. Christine and her amazing team made us feel so welcome and truly special. We stayed in two different rooms over the course of our 5 night stay and can honestly say that we have never had better. Breakfast was immense with such huge variety of locally sourced organic produce; the best we have ever tasted. Something different every morning we never wanted to lay in! In the mornings we visited the medieval towns of Montepulciano, Pienza, Motefellonica and Montelcino and in the afternoons returned to the delights of Lupaia where we lounged by the infinity pool overlooking the gorgeous Tuscan landscape. We barely lifted a finger other than to pick up the phone by the poolside and order cocktails, beers or lunch which was brought to us by the friendliest of staff, with a special mention to Joel, who we will forever compare all waiting staff to. We cannot find the appropriate words to describe our evening meals. You'd think that with such amazing choice in the nearby towns, we'd explore somewhere new each night, but what would be the point with such an incredible 4 course menu on offer at Lupaia's intimate restaurant each night. I usually struggle to finish a 2-course meal but with these fantastic flavours and combinations of locally sourced, organically grown produce on offer we ate a 4 course meal at Lupaia every evening for only €38. Marco and his team made us feel very welcome. He is an incredible head waiter/host, with a cheerful personality and a great sense of humour. The chefs are amazing and I would certainly recommend them for a mitchelin star. The best food and wine we have ever had! We love this place so much that we are hoping to come back next year to be married here and stay with our family and friends. Once again, thank you to all for making our stay so very special, with special mention to Christine, Marco and Joel. We can't wait to see you all again soon xx

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roanne L
Reviewed 2 August 2017

So, sitting poolside, I thought I would put 'pen to paper' We've been coming to Tuscany for the last 10 years or so and have always gone the 'villa' route. At the end we've always felt that the value for money wasn't there and some very basic accomodation was coming in at 5 star hotel prices. We were going to give it a miss this year when I stumbled on a Telegraph article on the best places to stay in Tuscany. I quickly snapped up a 6 night stay at Lupaia. 2 days to go and I would say that this is the best stay we have had in Tuscany. Location: you really couldn't do better. Perched on a hill overlooking Montepulciano, also perched on a hill, the view is picture postcard perfect. Sure, there is a gravel road to get to the property, but we have experienced worse, much, much worse. If you are concerned about your rental Polo's tyres, don't be. Get full insurance and attack the road like a stage on the World Rally Championship. (Obviously, not endorsed by management!) The property itself is amazingly maintained and appointed. (Think rustic Charlotte street or Blakes hotel, in London) Rooms are clean, wonderfully decorated and air conditioned. (AC is relatively rare and very welcome at 40 degrees outside!) Breakfast is like an Alice in Wonderland tea party. Not an endless selection, but everything you could want and all fresh and locally sourced. Dinners were good and reasonably priced. Simple fare, but quality ingredients. (Much grown on the property) The pool is extremely welcome in the heat, although it's not the largest in the world and only half of it is deep enough for adults to swim. In short, not good if you want to do laps, but perfect for me to bob about in. Service was attentive and authentic and I can't fault it. Any faults? If you put a gun to my head, and I feel like I'm being very picky here! Wifi in the rooms is slow, but usuable. We actually got better signal at the pool. We had one disappointing dinner, the BBQ. Meat was a bit over for my liking and after finishing mine I noticed all other tables had what looked like a delicious BBQ sauce, that I didn't get. I didn't bother complaining because it was good regardless. In short this place strikes the perfect balance of feeling like an authentic Tuscan experience ( although updated) coupled with the services of a hotel. Would I recommend it? Probably not. I need to ensure that there is always availability for me.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NickAnja
Reviewed 14 July 2017

We spent 4 nights there in order to celebrate the birthday of my fiance, and here is my feedback about this hotel.

Honestly I really hesitated between 3 and four and the more appropriate rating should have been 3,5.

pros :

- for Italy and for tuscany the quality price ratio is quite good

- The view you have from the common area or from you room are great. The surrounding countryside and the town of Montepulciano are really amazing.

The property is very beautiful, you really feel like if you lived in an 4 centuries old Tuscan village! we do love the fact that you are in a small hotel who have its own soul.

- the swimming pool was nice and we loved the fact that it was so quiet!

Joel was amazingly nice, and very helpful, we were very happy to get our drinks next to the swimming pool for exemple.

cons :

I’m sorry if I disagree with most of the comments I read, but this was only the second time i was disappointed by the food in Italy. I went there plenty of time and i have done very sophisticated restaurants but also a lot of small 10 euros trattoria, and food in Italy was always for us an amazing experience! In Lupaia, the food was just ok.

Staff (except Joel) can improve. For exemple we didn’t like one dish at all and couldn’t even eat it, the waiter looked at us and told us that the dish was ok for him… i’m sorry but the basic rule is that if your clients told you they don’t like the dish, you just say that you’re sorry and don’t try to make them look like they are crazy or have a bad taste… the veal was overcooked, had the texture of plastic either it is fine for him or not… after that he offered us another dish instead of the one we didn’t like, but regarding the way he talked to us and the lack of information he offered us about the remplacement solution we didn’t even tried it…

in fact, when i read the answers of the manager regarding some points that people underlined in order the hotel to improve, he often answer « you should have come to us », that’s true, but when people are on holiday, they don’t want to loose their time in order to see the management each time there is some things bad, or something they don’t understand… to avoid the situation the hotel should put a book in all the rooms with the informations regarding the hotel, the diner, the breakfast and things like that… sometimes we didn’t understood very well how the hotel was working… for exemple, it was not possible to have a fresh drink after 10.30pm…fortunately Joel was nice and put us some beer in bucket full of ice… but you have to consider that after 10:30 it’s the end of the service… and all your needs should wait until the day after…

swimming pool was cold and even if its was really beautiful you don’t go there as much as you have wanted too.. I have to say that it needed to be cleaned also

wifi could be improved

- impossible to eat there on monday evening… you have to be prepared to drive in the small gravel road for kilometers if you want to have diner…

All in our experience was good, we liked in here but there were a lot of details which need to be improved in my opinion.

last advice if you are going there, i didn’t felt i have chosen the good car to go there, i had rent a small polo and each time we took the graveled road i was scared to have a flat tire and that’s the reason why, even if we were disappointed by the food, we stayed there, in order to not being stuck by night on the gravel road with a flat tire…. maybe for your peace of mind, you should hire a car with more robust tires than a polo…

to conclude the hotel has everything to be an terrific hotel, there are just a small things which should be improved (but it is in small things that you will reach the perfection, or not)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julien V
Christopher M, General Manager at Lupaia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Dear Julien,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Lupaia overall, and we appreciate your suggestions for improvement.

In fact, since you left we have already created a multi-language folder for all the rooms containing all the important information on the hotel and the local area. This will help to avoid any misunderstandings like you experienced. Drinks are of course available at any time until the evening shift leaves, usually around midnight.

With regards to the food, I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied, and that the reaction to your complaint was not up to our standards. This is something I will address with our team, as every complaint is valid and needs to be respected.

The 2.5 km of gravel road leading to the hotel contribute to the quietness and solitude of Lupaia, and it's a 10-15 minute drive to the restaurants of Montepulciano, Montefollonico and Pienza. The closing day of the restaurant on Monday is mentioned in the booking confirmation, but we are happy to prepare a panino or salad for guests who prefer to not go out, like we did in your case.

Thank you once again for staying with us, and we would be very happy to welcome you again to Lupaia in the future.

Kind regards

Villa Poggiano
#7 of 28 in Montepulciano
22.6 km away
Castello di Velona Resort, Thermal Spa & Winery
Castello di Velona Resort, Therm...
#1 of 1 in Castelnuovo dell'Abate
30.6 km away
Castel Monastero
Castel Monastero
#4 of 8 in Castelnuovo Berardenga

Been to Lupaia? Share your experiences!