All reviews porter square breakfast and afternoon tea historic house harvard square mass ave highly recommend this b b quiet street minute walk underground parking wet bar every afternoon jacuzzi tub breakfast was delicious the ground floor harvard law school first floor t station
Reviewed 1 August 2018

The inn is old, and not ashamed of it. If you're looking for a sterile hotel room with all the electrical outlets and such, this is probably not your place. But what I think of as the important stuff is all in place: the a.c. is efficient, they've made an effort to provide extra plugs for charging on the nightstand, the shower is good, and everything is clean. Breakfast was lovely--a choice of continental or full each day; full varies. The French toast was excellent. Also they put tea, coffee, and cookies out in the middle of the afternoon. Cookies were fantastic. The gardens are beautiful. There's an outside courtyard where one can sit and read or work. Wifi works well. We were in one of the front rooms, so we heard the front door open and shut all day, but other than that I have literally no complaints. Oh, and the parking would indeed be awkward if you have a vehicle larger than our Toyota Camry. We didn't mind, but it is tight.

Room Tip: I'd try to get something other than the one of the front rooms by the main door.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Enjoyed 3 nights celebrating our anniversary in what appeared to be the wedding room behind the main building. Very nice ambiance on that back deck with lots of flowers and tables for reading or eating. Quiet, yet just off of Mass Ave. About 6 blocks walk to Porter Square MBTA station, from which other parts of Cambridge and Boston are accessible. Free parking in attached garage was a bonus, as parking in Cambridge can be a challenge and expensive. Furniture is dated but bed was comfortable and jetted tub was a special amenity; room fan was a bit too strong (and not adjustable). Included breakfasts were good, where we enjoyed meeting and speaking with interesting people. Coffee or tea and cookies or muffins in the afternoon and evening were delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly, even mailing back to us a very small item that had come loose from one of our gadgets and was left behind. Great service! All in all, we had an enjoyable visit and will return.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2018

Had a wonderful stay at the Mary Prentiss! It's a gorgeous building in a great location in Cambridge. Some of the highlights:
- Beautiful room
- Very clean
- Working air conditioning (we were there during the heat wave, so this was wonderful)
- Comfy bed/linens
- Lovely garden area for sitting and eating
- Excellent food; I'm allergic to dairy, and they made me a plain egg and toast dish to order :-) A big plus!

I recommend this inn without hesitation!

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

The parking is a little tricky. They offer underground parking which is really meant to be used for compact cars. There are three spots next to the inn however there isn’t any signage letting you know you can park there. One of the lanes is for two cars so you might block someone or be blocked in. If you are parking and not driving the city, no issues. While we were there, a guest parked underground and was requested on two separate occasions to move their vehicle. They did not. Just keep it in mind. We checked in and were assigned Room 1. It is by the front door so I was concerned it might be noisy from people entering/leaving. No issues from guests upstairs either. We were pleased with the room. Two suggestions: offer ‘Do Not Disturb’ signs and place mini fridges in the room. The room had been cleaned while we were out and an item was mistaken for trash and was gone when we returned. We reuse towels and such, so we really didn’t need our room cleaned. As we were on a road trip with a cooler, we didn’t have anywhere to put our sandwich fixings. We used ice from their ice machine. The room was beautifully appointed and comfortable. Excellent WiFi and cable tv. The shower head is fantastic as well as water pressure. Comfortable bed. Excellent a/c. Breakfast is great. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2018

I stayed two nights at this place which was very lovely. However, my impression of the place totally changed because of what happened next.

The person at the front desk was reluctant to offer help when I told her that I might have left my phone charger in the room I stayed the previous night. I had to explicitly ask her to call around to check whether the housekeepers might have found it (can't believe that she didn't even offer to help check into the matter at all in the beginning). Then, after 10 minutes, she finally called and said no one had found/seen it in an utterly aloof tone. Since my phone was completely dead, I had to borrow a charger to get my phone charged to at least 5-10% before it could function again. After 5 minutes, she came back and asked, "are you through with our charger? There is a store (Rite Aid Pharmacy) across the street where you can buy one." I have never experienced such flat-out rudeness or coldness at any of the hotels that I have stayed. A huge disappointment at their professionalism.

Room Tip: the room I stayed in has wooden floor and it made lots of noise.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business