All reviews porter square breakfast and afternoon tea historic house harvard square mass ave highly recommend this b b quiet street minute walk underground parking wet bar every afternoon jacuzzi tub breakfast was delicious the ground floor harvard law school first floor t station
Reviewed 28 November 2017

My 50th reunion plus the 200th anniversary of the law school brought me back to Cambridge. I have stayed at the hotels near Harvard Square, but wanted something different this time. The Inn is a lovely home, on the Historic Register. Our room, on the third floor (no elevator; there is a man to help with the bags, but it is a challenge), was small with a slanty roof cutting some space off, but it was nice and comfortable. My wife is petite and had no problem with the lower roof on one side of the room; I hit it occasionally when I had to go on that side. The bathroom, too, is small, but adequate. It is a short five-block walk to the law school a nd was quite manageable.I would like to see more choice for breakfast (they only offered one dish -eggs, pancakes, or such - or a continental). I'm sure there are economic reasons for this arrangement, plus likely a small kitchen, but, though the meals were good, i still would have liked more choice.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2017

The Mary Prentiss Inn was one of the nicer places I've checked into in several years. The atmosphere and friendliness was unmatched. My daughter of course loved the nigh-unlimited cookies and treats. The big "however", however, is that our room, #14, had no heat for our overnight stay in mid-November. We checked in briefly in the afternoon, and then went out for the evening. Upon return, we noticed the room was very cold, but attributed that to the daily cycle of the HVAC. In the morning, the room was REALLY COLD, although digital thermostat on the heater reported a balmy 67F (it kept blowing cold air.) When we contacted the staff, someone on the waitstaff came immediately, but after five minutes, agreed that the heater didn't work, and had to go back to serving the (excellent) breakfast. I was told actual repair staff were unavailable as they were apparently working on the boiler of other property twinned with the Prentiss Inn. So my daughter and I shivered the rest of our stay until we checked out. When we did so, and were asked how our stay was, we said "Cold because our heater didn't work." We got a "Oh, we're sorry" but nothing else. We also left a comment card with our contact information, but have not heard from anyone.

Room Tip: Room 14's heater was non-functional in November.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Bicoid
MaryPrentissInn, Manager at Mary Prentiss Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review The Mary Prentiss Inn and for your kind words. I am sorry to hear that your heater was not working properly. The overnight staff at the Inn is readily available for overnight emergencies and we are sorry they were unaware of the issue in your room and that is was not addressed in a timely manner.
We would love to have you stay with us again should your travels bring you to Cambridge.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

We stayed at the Inn for a romantic weekend, this place did not disappoint. Our room was on the first floor just off the courtyard. The room was a little on the small side, however perfectly appointed with a wood burning fireplace and a two person jacuzzi tub.
Located a short walk from the Harvard Law campus as well as some nice local shops and dining options. There is no elevator so if you are staying on the second or third floor, just be aware you will have to haul your luggage up the stairs.

Room Tip: In the cooler months I would book a room with a fireplace.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

My second time here, I️ was again delighted with all aspects of the stay. Arriving at 930am, I️ was encouraged to take the full breakfast which was just finishing up, even though I️ was not to check in until later that afternoon. After a wonderful home cooked spread in a bright sunlit dining area on a beautiful porch, I️ washed up in their bathroom, left my luggage in storage and was able to enjoy several hours of visiting my daughter at a nearby college and Harvard Square sights before my room was ready in early afternoon.

My suite 9 was huge, with micro wave, mini fridge, plenty of room for a rollaway bed which was provided gratis, working fir place and a sunny overlook of the very quiet Prentiss Street. Furnishings and decoration throughout the inn were top notch and full of little surprises and supplements to make the place feel homey. Staff clearly had gone out of their way to put in many seasonal decorations.

Even after checking out the next morning, the staff allowed me to relax in the beautiful common area for several hours until my evening flight, and to enjoy a second round of the tea and house baked cookies and scones.

Many shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, plus a Brain and Body yoga studio two blocks away which I️ was able to enjoy in the morning. Lesley College and Harvard Law school are 5-10 minutes walk away and the center of Harvard Square 15 minutes walk from the inn.

Will definitely come back a third time and more!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2017

I made a short trip to Cambridge for business at both MIT and Harvard and found the Mary Prentiss Inn a very convenient and relaxing alternative to the usual business hotel. The French doors of my room (number 6, I believe) opened onto a very attractive little courtyard that was still full of blooming plants in October, somewhat to my surprise. The inn is well maintained and has two nice breakfast rooms, one with a fireplace. If you're a breakfast person, as I'm not, you'll probably be pleased by the options on offer. Service is not excessively warm, I'd say, but very efficient and helpful, which is really all you need. Several restaurants in the area, a good coffee place right across the street, and an easy 8 block walk to Harvard Square. Only down side was a battling couple in the next room who kept me awake one of the nights I was there--not the Inn's fault. I'm sure I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business