All reviews whole foods shampoo and conditioner starbucks attached fire pit summer shack panera bread alewife subway station cool hotel funky bathroom traffic circle outdoor garden harvard square dunkin donuts trader joe s coffee pot great shower room fridge
Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here several times and never had a bad experience. This hotel was recently upgraded and redone and is a beautiful boutique hotel with modern updates. The staff is always very helpful and eager to assist! Have and would stay here again!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Jeff S, General Manager at Freepoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear moorekarlin,

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for your great review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2017

In town for family event and hosts had reserved a block of rooms. Ours was first floor, right off lobby area. Great bed and tons of pillows, though they were a bit plumper than we'd've preferred. Plenty of space and even had a small couch and table, big TV with tons of channels, adequate closet and usual amenities (no microwave, but nice fridge). Asked for coffee maker and they happily accommodated. Starbucks right next door, though. Free wifi throughout the hotel, with pretty good reception (but not encrypted, if that matters to you). Plenty of free parking, with easy access to highway, but quiet rooms. Lobby area is wonderful! Very comfortable seats/sofas all over, in flowing room layout, with ability to have a meeting or discussion or settle in to read/compute, or just be alone. Bar right off lobby, too. Weekend evenings lounge/bar got fairly busy, but not too noisy. Pool table was popular. Didn't sample the food, but did get some excellent fresh eats at the Whole Foods market next door. Hit the liquor store next door too, as in-room booze was pretty pricey (as usual). On the other side of hotel is a small restaurant, for pizza, sandwiches, salads, fish, pasta, etc. Tried it (Ma Magoo's) one night we were too tired to venture out--pretty good pasta and huge portions that could've been shared.
For the very reasonable rates I would definitely stay in this hotel again if driving. They will shuttle you to/from Harvard square for free! Or ~15 walk to Alewife subway station (end of Red Line), so Harvard square is 3 stops away. SUPER staff!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Piscartore2012,

Thank you for your kind review. Good news we are scheduled to get in room coffee makers this quarter, I'm glad that you found the staff super and that you enjoyed your room. You'll have to come back to try our food it is quite good and reasonably priced. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

I gave the Freepoint five stars because it had everything I needed and it excelled at all the important stuff.

This hotel is not located in a very walkable location, but it is VERY convenient to buses, subway, restaurants, stores, etc. I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel near to a friend in Watertown, and this fit the bill completely. The hotel faces a traffic circle - again, not scenic, but convenient. The good news is that I didn't hear the traffic in my room, which faced the roundabout. The sound proofing was very effective.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, from the front desk, to the guy who makes delicious coffee in the morning, to the bartenders in the evening. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom didn't have much counter space, but the shower was really good. The room was larger than some, with a nice sitting area. The bed was terrific. When my friend drove over we parked in the (free!) parking lot and walked to the nearby Alewife subway station. If you don't want to walk the couple of blocks the hotel has a shuttle bus that runs to the Alewife station, or to Harvard Square.

I was happy with all the shared spaces in this hotel. It has an outdoor patio (not used now, in winter), lots of indoor sitting areas, and a pool table.

It is hard to find an inexpensive hotel in Boston or Cambridge. This one is a keeper.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TamMpls
Jeff S, General Manager at Freepoint Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Dear TamMpls,

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I am glad that you found us, and that we fit the bill perfectly for you, I must agree that we are quite unique and we have the service to match. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

Stayed here over Thanksgiving weekend. For some aspects, I give it top-notch ratings. For other aspects, it really misses the mark. Details: The beds are great, slept very well. The shower is good and even has a hand sprayer (something that women, in particular, like). They are very dog friendly and treated out mutt very well (even when she had an accident in the lobby - how embarrassing! - but staff treated it like no big deal. Kudos for that!) And the room is very clean, linens top-rate, really good towels, full bottles of shampoo & conditioner (good stuff, too), good soap, and more than enough pillows. The heat worked pretty well. The room has a mini-fridge, hair dryer, iron & board, a closet, bathrobes. Parking is $16 per night (sounds high, but it really is reasonable for Cambridge, guaranteeing you'll have a spot to park).

But: no coffeemaker or microwave. A bar setup, with snacks, but no ice bucket. No free breakfast. It has a restaurant in the hotel and room service at certain hours based on the restaurant menu -- but the restaurant menu is bizarre. Good burger, but you can't get french fries or potato chips to go with it. If you get the touted dip, it's served with toast. We sat at a table in the restaurant that had comfortable chairs, but you couldn't put your feet in front of you while eating because the base of the table was way too large (even so, the table still wiggled). The restaurant was more of a bar that also served a few entrees. Which was okay -- it seems like a fun place to hang out. And there is a Starbucks attached to the building, Dunkin' Donuts around the corner, and a strip mall with a liquor store, Whole Foods, pizza, Panera Bread, and a pet store within a couple blocks (but don't risk going to the stores across Alewife - too dangerous to walk to).

The lighting in the room is really bad: way, way too bright and no way to dim anything. All seemingly designed to shine right into one's eyes. The window opened about half an inch so it took a while to cool down an overheated room when we checked in. The wi-fi is excellent and the tv pretty good (closed captioning works, which is rare). But the outlets are placed in weird places (but plenty of places to charge phones, which is great) and there is no way you can set up to work in the room: there is no desk, just a round table that's too high to use to work and no chairs -- just a loveseat that isn't very comfortable (though our dog loves it).

While the shower is good, the bathroom is TINY. We were lucky to shower without skinning our elbows. There is nothing to grab -- no bars at all (unless you get an ADA room, I would imagine), which made it frightening when the tub got slippery. This is not good for older people who have balance issues.

And the final problem is there is no hotel guide in the room. No way to tell what's available, where it is, or when things, like the restaurant, are open. There is one brochure with a map, but the map is so low-information it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I would be nice to have clear directions to the wonderful dog park (about half a mile from the hotel, so a nice walk) which is not visible from the hotel. We knew where it is because it's across the street from my sister's apartment.

We liked it enough that we're staying here again at Christmas -- now that we know its limitations we know what to do. And we really like the staff -- even staff who were less than helpful were really pleasant and impossible to get annoyed with. This counts for a lot with us.

Room tip: Get an ADA room if you have balance or frailty issues in bathrooms.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeeFleming2013
Reviewed 22 November 2017

Over the past year I have had to stay at this hotel at least 8 times because of work. I have watched its metamorphosis over that time as new owners I taken over. While I love the location the hotel has to come into this century as far as customer service.

The rooms are very clean and new. The staff is very friendly. But,you have to pay $16.00 a day to park,there is no coffee maker in the rooms and breakfast is ala carte. I really feel for their nightly price there should a few perks.

This has become my last resort.sorry!

Date of stay: November 2017