“I always go when being in Boston”
Review of The Helmand

The Helmand
Ranked #14 of 692 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Another great evening in the Helmand. I always go to there when I’m in Boston. One of the best Afghan restaurants I’ve been to. Always great food, I simply love eating there. Everybody with a favor for Afghan food should definitely go there and enjoy their great meals.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 10 August 2018

The food we got there reminds me of the food I got from Uyghur restaurants in Beijing, which is pretty authentic Halal food. The portion was decent and the price was moderate according to Boston standard. We ordered Qabelee and Chapendaz, which are both pretty good. And we did not have room for the dessert, which also looks delightful. I would recommend this place if you want to try Afghani/Halal dishes.

A side note: This is a very busy place during weekends. I would strongly recommend making reservations. The first time we go without reservation, we were told it was fully booked for the evening.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 31 July 2018

We really enjoyed our meals at Helmand. We made a reservation for a Friday night, but it wasn't too busy. My son and I shared three appetizers. I don't recall their names, but one was pumpkin - flavorful and sweet, and one was a ravioli-type dish with meat inside. Another was a ravioli-type dish with scallions, which was good, but not as good as the other two. Other people in our party enjoyed the vegetarian "special." I plan to return next time I'm in the area!

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We’ve been traveling around Boston trying restaurants for the last week and landed on this one as we’ve never had Afghani food. WOW! It was incredible. The flavors we so complex and delightful; everything we had was simply perfection. The atmosphere was very nice and service was excellent. We will be adding this restaurant to our regular rotation. It was SOOOO GOOD!

Reviewed 9 July 2018

We wanted to eat near the Cambridgeside Galleria but did not want to dine at the usual chain restaurants offered there. We were happy to try Afghani food so chose the Helmand. Some reviews said the restaurant was too noisy but we did not find that to be the case even though we were there on a Saturday night. Our server, Gino, was so helpful. He gave us excellent recommendations. Each of us was pleased with our choice. We all had delicious lamb dishes after sharing two appetizers and yummy bread with 3 sauces. We had a most enjoyable conversation with Mr. Osman while we leisurely had dessert and coffee. Definitely recommend!