All reviews english muffin below ground level victorian furniture harvard square street parking
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We stayed in the Scholar's Room - way too small for two people and not much room to move about the space. It is also below ground level. "Breakfast" is coffee, juice, english muffin, muesli - served via tray outside your room (you have to eat in your room). The room itself had no special touches - soap, but no shampoo, conditioner, etc - definitely no frills. If you're a tall person or large-ish person, watch out - bathroom is small, shower stall tiny, shower head very low (maybe set at about 5 feet).

Room was very clean; location is pretty good - you can walk to Harvard; parking is street parking only. You are given a temporary permit, so if you can find parking, you're ok. Cars must be moved once every 24 hours.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2017

I blundered on to Parkside on Ellery by sheer chance when trying to find a place that was affordable and close to Harvard Square. O Lucky Me. The house and our host, David Szlag were just perfect. The room was a lovely mix of both Northern and Southern Victorian furniture. Very well appointed and every conceivable thing you could have wanted was already anticipated and supplied. Except one. I mentioned to David one morning, that it would be a help to have a 'back mirror' in the bathroom so that a woman could see the back of her hair when she was preparing for her day. That night when we returned, David happened to be outside and mentioned that there was a surprise waiting for us in our room. My husband was puzzled as he thought it would be a food item or wine and nothing was evident. I walked into the bathroom and there it was --- the back mirror --- hung just where I could see the back of my head. It simply doesn't get much better than a host who literally made my passing remark come true.

Can't say enough about both the fabulous house, warm and inviting room and a host that stepped up to make our stay a perfect 10. Thanks, David, and we will see you in the future! I highly recommend booking with Parkside on Ellery.

Room Tip: Since there are only two rooms, I'd say they both are great as I viewed the other bed.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2017

This B&B is conveniently located to Harvard Square and the metro station, and yet on a quiet residential street. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and quaint. Breakfast arrives on a tray in the morning--the offerings are limited but you can have as much as you want. David was extremely personable, informative and accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2017

Lovely house, good-sized room, with distinctive antique mahogany Victorian furniture, updated with comfortable mattress and modern amenities. Nice view of park across the street. Friendly, informative welcome from David, who makes himself available if needed, but if not called upon, discreetly withdraws to allow guests privacy. David is clearly a very experienced host and has through all the practical details to make your stay easy and comfortable, from a clever breakfast ordering and delivery (to your room) system to well-chosen blinds to great directions for using (free) public transportation from the airport. Good location 10 minutes from Harvard Yard (and the T stop) in one direction, Inman Square in the other. If I have to identify an area for improvement, it would be the bedside lighting -- a little dim for reading. But there is a good reading light next to a comfortable couch.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2016

Really enjoyed our stay; we'd definitely go back. Dave is very welcoming and informative, then he's great about letting you do your own thing, which we appreciated. Specifically, we stayed in the Cambridge Room and it was lovely. The location is very convenient and an easy walk to the rest of Cambridge (and it's immediately surrounded by cute neighborhoods).

If you're looking for frills, this may not be the place for you, but if you're looking for a charming, laid-back and comfortable place to stay in a great location at a fair price, this is the place. We look forward to going back sometime!

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple