“Special spot in Harvard Square”
Review of Les Sablons

Les Sablons
Ranked #136 of 674 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Description: Les Sablons is a metropolitan restaurant in Cambridge's historic Harvard Square. Somewhere in the bustle between London and Paris, the kitchen reveals a culinary worldview both bold and familiar. Enter the rambunctious, first floor, neighborhood cocktail party. Ascend to the modern, 17-foot wide upstairs dining room to touch and taste the elegant craftsmanship of Chefs Jeremy Sewall and Brian Rae.
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner here with friends. The decor is very welcoming and contemporary. The acoustics are excellent; not noisy and you can have a intimate conversation with your dinner companion(s). It’s conveniently located in Harvard Square right across from The Charles Hot. The service was superb! We had a variety of dishes which were all very creative and good. It’s a very pricy restaurant but I would recommend it if you’re looking for a special dinner out. The tiny macaroon dessert is especially good.

Reviewed 24 January 2018

My wife and I met some friends at Les Sablons for celebratory post-dinner cocktails on Saturday, December 30, 2017. This review is limited to the bar service only.

Arrival: Tucked away in a renovated space in the old Conductor's Building, Les Sablons has relatively minimal signage outside so it's easy enough to walk right past if you don't know where you're going. Upon entrance, two nice ladies at the hostess stand informed us that the upstairs bar would be the better choice to meet friends for cocktails, so we followed them upstairs. The downstairs bar seemed to give off a more relaxed vibe, but it was either on life support or closed that evening, so with no other choice we went upstairs.

Upstairs: Long and narrow, with caberet seating along the outside wall and a very long bar along the inside, the place feels spacious when you are seated, but rather cramped when standing.

The Bar: The bar was empty on arrival, so we took two seats in the middle. The bar itself is a long, white, L-shaped setup, with an extensive collection of proper glassware. It makes a real difference when you can have a cocktail in the right glass!

The Service: One bartender on duty and he was very sophisticated and polite. He offered us a choice of still or sparkling water, as well as a beverage menu.I was somewhat disappointed by the selection of liquors on the back wall. There was a decent sampling of whiskies but the bourbon selection was lacking - no Blanton's, Woodford Reserve, Pappy Van Winkle. There was Bulleit on hand, so I asked for an Old Fashioned which was excellently and expertly crafted. The price was a little steep, about $18 per cocktail, but the ambiance of the restaurant and the quality that went into making the cocktail was worth it. While we were enjoying our drinks I learned that the bar is run by Jackson Cannon of Eastern Standard and Hawthorne fame, two of my favorite cocktail establishments in Boston. You could see his touch in the training and service for sure.

The Location: The upstairs bar is certainly more sophisticated than downstairs, and upstairs really isn't made for talking to anyone who isn't seated to your immediate left or right. We had a group of about 7 people gathered around the bar - 4 or 5 seated and 2 or 3 standing - and you could tell we were "in the way" of the staff moving from the kitchen to the dining room. It was made clear to us when a hostess offered to "find us a table" that we were no longer welcome to congregate at the upstairs bar. We asked if the downstairs bar would be able to provide cocktail service, and were told that it was closed.

Overall: The bar service was good and I really enjoyed the ambiance of Les Sablons. My wife and I indicated a desire to come back for dinner, as the French cooking looked and smelled wonderful. Hopefully Les Sablons extends their bourbon selections moving forward, and it would be nice to try the downstairs bar another evening - it probably would make for a more cocktail party environment, especially if Jackson Cannon is at the helm.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

It is great to have a French restaurant in Harvard Square again and the food is very authentic. The upstairs is more formal and the service was precise and almost stodgy except then a server would be familiar and more relaxed suddenly. It was a little odd. It did not spoil things and the food was excellent. I had the liver pate to start and that was superbly prepared and presented. I followed that with the veal boudin which was good. My husband had the beet salad and the chicken. We split an order of cauliflower. All of these dishes were very good as well. For dessert, I had the English possit and my husband had the sticky toffee cake. Both were yummy. With a glass of wine and a beer, the meal came to about $160 including tip, a bit steep but for wonderful food. When we left, we discovered that the lower level part of the restaurant offers a less formal sitting area and a smaller, but still nice, menu. Next time we will try that.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I really want to love this restaurant. The concept is great: real French modern cooking from the chef who was Lineage in Brookline which had some really inventive and delicious sea food. Last night, there was not one fish on the menu! And this is New England! What gives? One scallop dish which we ordered and it was very ordinary. One small dish of halibut ceviche, ok, but what about a halibut main? The duck confit streusel and crispy potato cake with caviar, as well as the scallops came out barely heated through. It would have been better hot, especially on a winter night. To their credit, they took our comments on that with grace, and gave us some ice cream and after dinner drinks on the house. The service was very nice. I'm not sure we'll go back again. For a restaurant striving for the top rung of the dining ladder, this shouldn't happen.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Dropped in for brunch with my friends. Downstairs more relaxed, but we were seated upstairs which is more buttoned up. Greeting staff was pleasant, servers unfriendly. Our coffee was cold, asked for hot coffee, next pour was cold. Asked for milk for the coffee and got it when our cold coffee was finished. Waited close to an hour to be served burgers and quiche. Pricey food. Positive remarks, the food was tasty, the bread basket ($17 because there were 4 of us at the table and the basket came with 3 pieces so I had to buy another piece of bread so we would all get one) was homemade and delicious. The restaraunt is decorated beautifully and the art on the walls is fun. Check out Bowie on the back wall. Overall, me and my guests would not go back.