“Decent meal, Buy the Groupon.”
Review of Shanti

Shanti
Ranked #213 of 671 Restaurants in Cambridge
Reviewed 8 December 2017

The food is good but the service is sometimes a bit awkward. Lunch buffet here is reasonable though you'll feel rushed by the staff if it's after 1:30, even if the place isn't crowded. As for the food, there's plenty of variety. The prices are a little high for the quality if you're just ordering off the regular menu for lunch or dinner though. They often offer Groupons for this location, so I highly recommend purchasing that if dining out with friends or as a couple. I did this for dinner a few weeks ago with a friend and we received quite a lot of food for the money.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

So I guess I should have listened to most reviewers on the buffet about staying away from this place. The buffet would have been worth $13 if the quality of the food was good. I got there at 1.45pm and was super excited to see Dahi Bhalla on the menu. But the container looked almost empty. Upon asking if they are gonna refill it, they said no. I was shocked specially because it was more than an hour to go before the buffet ended. Moving on, the veg pakoras were dry, unseasoned and burnt. The reviews are spot on about the buffet area being dark. You could barely see the food and had no idea what you were putting on your plate until you got back to your table. All the men staff was rude and could not be bothered with any question. They seem disinterested. The only female on the staff was great and very helpful.
The other dishes were meh. The naan's were pre-made and were sitting in the container, barely warm for the entire buffet. The other dishes were barely warm as well.
All in all, a pathetic Indian buffet experience. The restaurant is still in business only because the people don't have a lot of Indian food options in Kendall Square, and the diners just don't know what they can get for $13.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

I dined at 7pm on a Sunday in August; the restaurant was deserted. I ordered the Meat Samosas to be followed by the "Lamb Curry" - which I assumed would be somewhere between Korma or Vindaloo (there being no Madras advertised). Poppadoms and pickle appeared immediately which is very good and drinks were delivered instantly. The Meat Samosas were excellent - large and very tasty.

Unfortunately it all went downhill after that...

1) When I asked for a clean knife and fork for my main course the waiter looked at me as though I had asked him to take a pay cut.
2) the other waiter then tried to put the main course plate on an uncleaned table, When I asked him to clean the table he simply WIPED THE FOOD ONTO THE FLOOR AND LEFT IT THERE ,,,,,!!!
3) When the curry arrived it was so bland it could have had its own early morning talk show, It was like lamb boiled in water and then shown a picture of a shop that used to stock curry power, but doesn't any more.

Rather tellingly, not one of the staff asked me how my meal was at any point.- I assume they are fed up with customers complaining when asked.

I think the staff need training and the meals - at least the generic 'curry' options - need revitalising. While all the other restaurants in the area are buzzing, this one is empty and snoring,

I knew the reviews on here have been mixed but I approached this with an open mind. Unfortunately the service and the main course were really not fit for purpose. It's a shame really as there are no other Indian restaurants in the Kendall/MIT are - maybe the lack of competition is the problem.

This review is based on one visit only - it is possible that this was a one-off - but the poor quality of the main course and the attitude of staff make me think if I went back it would be the exact same experience.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

As someone who has lurked on TripAdvisor for many years, but never got round to submitting my own reviews, it was going to take something exceptionally good or exceptionally bad before I finally got around to writing one.

Well that moment has arrived; I've just had quite probably the worst Indian meal it's ever been my misfortune to experience.

My wife and I arrived at Shanti to find the restaurant quiet at 630pm on a Friday evening with only one table occupied. Service was relatively quick, and we ordered vegetarian mixed appetizer to share, followed by salmon and mixed veggie curries, with a naan and rice.

The first sign that things were amiss was when the appetizer platter arrived. Most of it looked overcooked. I bit into what looked like an oversized veggie samosa, only to find it contained minced meat.

That was more than a bit of a shock to this life long vegetarian, and just shouldn't have happened.

The starters were quickly taken away and replacement starters came soon after- they were average at best (again dry/overcooked).

Shortly after my wife's entree arrived- a salmon filet, that was covered in a sweet orange colored sauce. Once the sauce was removed, we could see that the salmon was burnt.

My veggie curry was ok, but flavor was lacking.

My wife ate some of her salmon after scraping off the burnt bits.

On the upside, the naan was fresh and tasty.

No one came to ask how our meal was. We did point out the fact that the salmon was burnt, and my wife left most of it, but no real apology was forthcoming.

When the check came, we were offered a 10% discount because of the mix up with the appetizers, but frankly that wasn't enough, and at $70 for two including drinks, there are plenty of much better places in the Kendall Sq area where we'll be spending our money in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Some of the buffet items were tasty enough, but the potatoes in the aloo gobi were undercooked. You might be better off ordering from the menu.