“Go take a look on your way to Slieve League”
Review of Studio Donegal

Studio Donegal
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Kilcar
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Studio Donegal is a family run hand-weaving and clothing manufacturing business located in the picturesque village of Kilcar, County Donegal. Visitors are invited to tour the facilities and observe our hand-weavers at work Monday to Friday. Admission is free. In our factory shop we offer our tweed throws, men’s and ladies clothing, hats and accessories as well as Donegal Yarns knitting wool and a selection of contemporary and traditional knitwear. We also stock a selection Irish made jewelry to complement our tweeds and complete our range.
Reviewed 18 July 2015

Free to tour the factory floor. All of the employees were very friendly and welcoming. It was interesting to learn about how the tweed was made. It was interesting that they mostly use wool from Australia/NZ instead of Ireland wool since it is much more coarse. They made nice pieces, but there was a lack of sizes, so we ended up only buying a scarf.

1  Thank savvy_traveller175

Reviewed 6 July 2015

While in Southwest Donegal, we visited other shops that carried woven articles. Studio Donegal's items were the most beautiful handwoven articles I have ever seen (and I've traveled in other parts of Ireland). The colors reflect Donegal and with the selection of hues and colors, you are certain to find something that will match your taste. There are blankets, sweaters, capes, wraps, hats, scarves and an array of yarns. The clothing is stylish yet traditional. I bought two blankets; one for our home and one for a gift. I also bought two skeins of a deep purple yarn for a gift. Since the blankets were too large for me to carry home to the U.S., I chose to mail them. Studio Donegal uses the Horizon card for VAT. Since I mailed, they are allowed to remove the VAT for mailing overseas, and with the money I would have paid in VAT, it more than covered the postage charges. The package was awaiting me when I arrived home although they offered to hold the package and mail it later had no one been at home to receive it. I cannnot say enough here in this small space to truly let all TripAdvisor readers know how much I enjoy the blankets, and how helpful the Studio was. Do go upstairs while you are there and watch the handweaving. The weaver will be most happy to talk with you and explain the process and the history of weaving in Co. Donegal.

2  Thank Ora J
Reviewed 15 June 2015

The colour in the goods here is stunning. It's one thing to wander around the shop, but do so after doing some hiking about the local area if you get the chance. You will see the colours from the fields, mountains, sea and heath repeated in many of the weaved goods. We bought a wonderfully soft blanket with a soft and subtle colour scheme that, more than anything, reminded me of Monet's use of colour at the height of his powers. Achingly beautiful. There's the artistic sophistication!

We did visit another mill store which has a very glitzy display area and shop. To the contrary, Studio Donegal is wonderfully non-glitzy. No need for promotion as this stuff stands on its' own merit. The shop area is part of the working mill, as the sales person (Anne) was also busy trimming the fringe to the right length on newly finished blankets. The owner (Tristan) was helping bag the blankets into large tubes with her until Anne was called away to the cash register. It was the most natural thing in the world to simply pitch in and help him continue with the packing while having a very nice chat with him. For the life of me I can't remember the several topics of conversation now.

Although I'm not a shopper by nature, Studio Donegal makes things that you will treasure for the rest of your life. Our test for what to buy was twofold. First, would we kick ourselves later for not buying something. Second, was there room to carry it home to Canada. Test number one won, as we had to buy another duffel bag to carry our purchases home.

A visit here was one of the high points of our trip to Ireland. Although seemingly contradictory, there truly is a mix of homespun honesty mixed with superb artistry - hard to find in our modern world.

5  Thank John-RockySkier
Reviewed 16 October 2014

Just taken delivery of a tweed ladies waistcoat I ordered when visiting in September. Such beautiful tweed, lovely styling and expertly made. Am thrilled! And ... to be able to buy a garment where the material is woven and the garment made on site, knowing that in doing is helping to maintain a long-standing tradition and support the local economy makes the purchase even more special. Don't miss this wonderful place if ever you are nearby.

Reviewed 10 October 2014

Loved seeing the weavers at work on the traditional looms .Has is a large display room with lots of beautiful handwoven fabric, rugs and smaller things and walk upstairs to see the weavers in action.. Colours range from earthy to clear and modern and of the highest quality but price is very reasonable. I ordered a fine earthy coloured merino wool lightweight close woven rug which was sent to me in Australia.. There were thicker but very soft in clear colours and muted and also cushion covers and knitted and small items..The quality is superb and the delicate aesthetics unmatched. I have not seen such quality before. recommend visiting, and want to return.