“Filipino in Iceland eating Filipino food!”
Review of Matstofan

Matstofan
Ranked #10 of 19 Restaurants in Borgarnes
Cuisines: Philippine
Reviewed 25 July 2015

Shocked, I tell you, shocked I was to find a "Filipino" restaurant in Iceland. Of course talking to the waitress she says, it's "Filipino tastes" that they do their best with what they can buy out of Reykjavik. The menu is not obviously Filipino but you have to know what to look for. Stir-fry noodles with vegetables and meat = pancit. Stir-fry chicken with potatos and peppers = chicken apritada. Beef with onions = bistek. All of it was decent and hit the spot. My friend also ordered a hamburger, which was of decent size, and she felt it had a different flair from all other hamburgers she had ordered in Iceland. It was a little slow to get the food, but it's probably because they are cooking it too order and not having some of it sit partially cooked.

Reviewed 28 March 2015

I think the opening hours are quite casual, as we had checked out the opening time, and they didn't open until about 15-30min after their listed hours. It is a bar and restaurant, with seating everywhere, along with a digital slot machine (or was it a card game?). It was empty when we went in, but during the course of our meal, people would come and go for take-out, and as we were leaving, a couple of men came in to drink.

We were somewhat excited, as the sign on the door said it was a Filipino restaurant. Unfortunately, there wasn't much Filipino food on the menu. I ended up having noodle soup with bread and my husband the burger. The burger was about average. My noodle soup was pretty good, reminiscent of homemade food from when I was growing up. The prices are acceptable and the woman who served us was very nice and polite. We would probably come here again to eat if we stayed in Borganes.

Reviewed 25 November 2014

Borganes does not have very many restaurants to choose from and this restaurant was located right opposite our Apartment. The service was slow but the food was nice. The lady that served and cooked the food was very polite.

Reviewed 12 November 2014

In Borgarnes you can find food at the gas stations and then some better restaurants. This place is in between. It is not a classy place but the food is ok. They have a menu but usually not everyting on the meny is available. The owners are not wearing uniforms or welcoming you with useless chit chat but they are nice and helpful people. This is kind of a local pup and diner. I recommend the place. When I am eating in Borgarnes this is usually my place of choice. Just ask them what they recommend and buy that. I like this place more for the character of the place and the owners than for the food.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Ordered the deep fried shrimp and was served a plate of batter with approx 10g of shrimp. This was accompanied by a large helping of rice and diliuted supermarket sweet & sourr sauce. The food was edible, the beer was good.