“Good location, nice people, but there are better places.”

Best Western Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kenai, Alaska
“Good location, nice people, but there are better places.”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I requested a quiet room and got one on the side of the hotel that is up against the highway--very noisy. But it was not the hotel's fault that my room was also next to a room housing a very drunk and very loud person. Finally at 12 am I called the front desk and the clerk immediately asked me if I wanted to move. Clearly she had been through this before and she was calm and professional. I gathered my things, she moved me a few doors down and on the other side of the hotel: much better and I was able to sleep. Beds were comfortable and rooms are large, but there is no pool and the restaurant needs serious help. The location is central to the hospital and university, and all staff were very pleasant. Here's the bad news: 36 Bistro.

Thirty-Six Bistro, the hotel restaurant, is incredibly expensive and the food quality is poor, like an old cafeteria full of warmed over food where no one cares anymore. $11 for a breakfast of hard old chunks of steam tray potatoes with two eggs is just not okay. To make it worse, both meals we had at this restaurant included long absences by our wait staff, as the kitchen sends them around to make room service deliveries on every floor WHILE THEY ARE WORKING as wait staff in the restaurant, and the second waiter will not help you unless you get up and go ask her (which I finally did at dinner as our waiter dropped the plates, then disappeared for 20 minutes--the other server spent that time chatting with the hostess as the place was deserted. Why didn't they send the other waitress to do room service? I had happened to see our waiter staggering from the kitchen into the hotel with a huge tray of room service right after dropping our plates; same thing happened at breakfast to our poor waitress!). The steak ordered medium rare was a variety of colors from gray to blood-red inside; seafood chowder was unpleasantly flavored by something that tasted like mold. French fries were so encrusted with salt that even my eight year old fast-food-loving son said, uh, no thanks mom. However the battered halibut was excellent: light, crisp, tasty and hot. Go figure. We had no waiter to address these issues, or fill water glasses etc, as he was sent off to room service for so long. I think the hotel and restaurant serve mostly medicaid clients from out of town who have food vouchers, which may explain the ridiculous prices for the poor quality food; but that still isn't right. I don't think anyone who lives in Anchorage ever patronizes this restaurant.
There are hotels in Anchorage priced the same that have pools and are more modern. For the price it isn't bad, just do not eat in the restaurant. It's a bit of a walk to anywhere else to eat, so hopefully you have a car if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DynamicDuo2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 25 December 2010

My stay at the best western golden lion was actually way better than I thought it would be.. I stayed due to the nearness of providence hospital. The hotel was very nice, very comfortable beds and pillows, amazing staff.. Maxine was an amazing house keeper, blonde housekeeper was sort if rude but I didn't let it bother me.. Front desk provided excellent Service, Charmaine and Kia were awesome and made sure the room was just right for me. I will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Babydoll1987
Kaneohe
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Great location for a visitor, convenient access to main roadways in all directions. Older hotel in need of a renovation. Everything a little worn and dated. Worst of all were the beds which were way to soft, so soft you sink into the middle.
Staff was very friendly and a special shout out to "Aloha" at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank highpod
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Thanx a lot for you hospitality & restaurant. Let alone, the great view. I only stayed a night or 2 there though.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank gatorbait_10
Eureka, California
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I was impressed with my recent stay at this Best Western. Even with its location right on the New Seward Highway as it enters midtown, the traffic noise really was not an issue. The rooms were very nice and beds and pillows were quite comfortable. SO few hotels pay attention to the comfort of the pillows but they had nice ones. The staff was very helpful and friendly which seemed genuine, rather than a fake niceness.
The only complaints I did have was that the wireless internet connection was iffy depending on where your room was and where in the room you are sitting. They did offer a modem for free which did help. The food at the "restaurant" was pretty expensive $13-$14 for a cheese burger...fairly high but the fries were excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business