“La Isla Delicioso”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Puerto Rican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ballard
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

First, I have no point of reference when it comes to authentic Puerto Rican food. I’ve never been to Puerto Rico nor have I ever had meals made by anyone from Puerto Rico (that I recall). Well, until now, I assume. Second, even if I had a point of reference to compare, I shall only review based on this meal specifically. And, our meal was delicious!

My husband had the traditional Mofongo and I had Pollo Guisado. Neither of us were able to finish our meals as they were filling. If we had time to enjoy a longer meal and had drinks, I imagine we would have gotten full faster. Next time!

The decor in the restaurant is very cheery and bright. There are colorful walls, faux doors/windows, cave like paintings, etc. Our server was very friendly. We’d come back to try other dishes. The Pastelon sounds intriguing! The prices are a few dollars more than we usually pay for entrées but I was able to make mine into two meals (leftovers!) so it worked out.

The amount of restaurants in Ballard overwhelms me. It’s so different from when we lived in the neighborhood 20 years ago. I was happy to discover this one amid all the hipster places.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

After a few hours at Golden Gardens Beach, we were hungry and parched. It was about 3 pm, so we decided to go into downtown Ballard for Happy Hour!! If you follow my posts, I'm always looking for the best Happy Hour deals.

Not knowing where to go, we decided to park near Ballard Ave and Market St., then try a place nearby. We soon found a flaw in our plan - plenty of Happy Hour places but none that would allow our granddaughter!!

After four tries, we sauntered into La Isla, and with salsa music in the background, we were pleasantly transported to Puerto Rico. On the Happy Hour menu were a dozen hearty small plates and we tried almost all of them. Especially delicious and substantial were the Ceviche de Galdo - special recipe with plump chunks of white fish, Tiras de Salmon - deep fried salmon strips marinated in OJ, garlic & cilantro, Chicharrones de Pollo - bite-sized pieces of chicken marinated in adobo overnight, and the pork sliders. The empanadillas are a bargain. Don't miss my favorite, the camarones - jumbo shrimp butterflied and sautéed in garlic (there are several sauces) - were wonderfully delicious.

They have a nice selection of traditional Puerto Rican cocktails- I had the Mojito which was the perfect thirst quencher after the beach.

A wonderful couple of hours enjoying food and drink with family!!!

Reviewed 16 August 2017

My family comes to La Isla with some regularity, so I'm surprised at some of these reviews. We've never had anything but great food and service. They make magic with plantains and pernil. The Cuban sandwich and the Tripleta are fantastic for lunch as is the ceviche. All very generous portions! For dinner, we are partial to the chuletas and the ropa vieja (and, of course, the pernil!), but really we've enjoyed everything we've ever had there and we're most of the way through the menu at this point.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My party of 5 had a variety of lunch dishes. 2 of us had the pork shoulder sandwiches which were dry and disappointing. They should've had a sauce or cream on them to negate the "just meat on bread" feel. The fried plantain appetizer was excellent with the amazing dressing. The chicken sandwich and lentil dishes were enjoyed. Worth a single visit, but I couldn't see a return visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

I am from the East Coast where I grew up in the Puerto Rican hood. I don't think the owner of La Isla is from Puerto Rico. Food sucks, go to the East Coast and you will know the difference!

1  Thank szekelykatalin