“Flavor town”

Ranked #281 of 4,637 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$0 - US$14
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Have driven past this place I don't know how many times while driving Aurora.
They always appeared to have a decent crowd no matter when.
I went tonight with another couple who happen to be Haitian and lived in Miami for many years.
After 10 minutes or so into the meal I asked them if they were happy or not with this location. Both of them agreed that everything tasted very very good. One of them wished there was a hotter sauce on the table. Other than that it was for flavor ahead.
We all ordered the plate entrées. Pork, jerk chicken, borough chicken and I ordered the special steak dinner with their special rub.
Along with a couple side orders of the regular plantains. ALL ITEMS, Yum.
Consistently all meals main meats were moist and layers of their flavors. If we all felt we would order everybody's dish as we all sampled. I know I'm ready to go back and try different things on the menu. And they also have a Caribbean hash that really sounds terrific to try it.
The plant hand were perfectly flattened out and fried while leaving hardly any grease to eat. I had him straight up as others enjoy them in the dipping sauce.
I personally ordered the steak and I cannot believe how tender and juicy and flavorful it was. The black beans and rice were delicious. I had my share of Cuban food and it's the first time I've had black rice served. That's only an observation. The coleslaw was not wet and it was a compliment to the rest of the plate for balance and texture.
Well done to the people at Bongos!

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Generous portions of good Cuban food, also draft beers. Good choice with family. Casual quick service. A plus for me was the pleasant back ground music. Classic pop Latin music from the 1940s to the present.

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

You are immediately transported to the Caribbean once you enter. There is a boardwalk leading to the dining room and bar surrounded by sand with tables and benches. Off to the side is a large glass fire pit where you can sit on a cool evening to enjoy a bit of Caribbean culinary delight and a cold brew. There were three in our party and each of us had something different. I tried the bucco chicken plate, Bay Island Spice rubbed chicken, topped with cilantro cream and pineapple salsa. Served with mango cole slaw over a bed of white rice and madoros (ripened plantains simply fried). My wife had their 1AM, citrus braised pork, sweet ham, Swiss cheese, pickled cucumber, cilantro and stone mustard aioli. Served on a toasted Saba roll. My son, the Desi plate, described only as citrus braised pork. With a side of Yucca fries (better than potatoes) and we had a feast fit for any pirate that ever set foot in Nassau! For added flavor there are three spiced sauces, to call them hot sauce would be unfair as each of them has a unique spicy flavor. My favorite was the Pina Dulce, a sweet spicy sauce that had my taste buds reeling. This is a must visit if you enjoy something different in a relaxed friendly setting. Guaranteed I'll be back each time I visit Seattle.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

I don't know authentic Cuban food, but I do know delicious. And reasonably priced. And stellar ambiance. And friendly service.

After a long day at the zoo a cold beer, tasty sandwich, and plantains were exactly what I needed. While the adults recovered, the kids played in the sand. I look forward to going back with the dog after a walk around Greenlake.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Took my sister for lunch on her birthday. Delicious food! Piccadilly and citrus pork we're both excellent. Service was friendly and helpful. Great location. Can't wait for summertime to enjoy the outdoor seating. Will be back!