“Good as ever”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Fremont
Reviewed 24 September 2015

It has been over five years, since we visit Seattle. But we remember the best Cuban sandwich we ever had was in Paseo. It is still makes the best Cuban sandwiches and is well worth the drive and the wait. If you are not a big eater, one sandwich share is sufficient. I like it that they make it only after you order it, fresh, and hot. We will go back again, if we go to Seattle again.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

Now that I've found out about Un Bien -- the *real* descendant of what used to be Paseo -- I feel better about making a more negative review of this place. I suppose I was previously semi-enthused because it was semi-close to the true Paseo experience, but now there's no need to settle for this pale imitation. Go to Un Bien (7302 15th Ave NW).

The stuff here looks sorta like real Paseo, but the flavors are way off: Everything is far too salty. The roast pork is often dry and flavorless (except for NaCl). The sorry excuse for beans isn't in the same galaxy as it used to be (and still is, at Un Bien).

Friendliness isn't all that great when it's linked to cluelessness about what the real Paseo represented, and what the real Paseo cooked. The storefront looks the same, but the food and the ambience aren't close. Not only that -- you *can* get the right flavors and aromas just a couple of miles away at Un Bien.

Finally, I have to mention the deceitfulness of the new owner of this place. Oh, I knew he didn't really have Lorenzo's secret recipes, but I originally thought maybe he'd generated a good imitation. He hadn't. The reason for his failed approximation might be because (despite his claims to the contrary) he *hadn't* hired any of the former employees. Never once did I see a familiar face behind the counter.

In contrast, several of my old pals who worked at the original Paseo *do* work at Un Bien. And they're delighted to be back in action, to be creating the REAL Paseo sandwiches over in Ballard.

In summary, don't believe the innumerable plaudits in reviews and articles; these guys did nothing to earn them, and are in fact sullying those awards with their stuff. If you want to know why the doors of Paseo are festooned with dozens of (several years old) stickers from local and national foodies, pop over to Un Bien. That's where the people who earned those plaudits are now creating their masterpieces.

Date of visit: August 2015
2  Thank N_in_Seattle
Reviewed 19 September 2015

My wife and I were spending the day exploring Seattle. We went to Fremont to check out the troll under the bridge. We ended up going to Paseo for dinner. We had no idea what to expect. I asked one of the employees what I should get, she told me the #2. It was unreal! We loved it so much we came back again for dinner before leaving for our trip. You will not regret going here... and I would definitely recommend the #2!

Reviewed 12 September 2015 via mobile

There are 3000+ reviews for Paseo, so I'll keep this short. I'll simply say that I love to cook and I love to eat. I know what a good meal is. And believe me when I tell you, the sandwiches at this unassuming little joint are fantastic! Well worth the drive and well worth the wait. If you get them to go, grab a bunch of napkins 'cause you'll need them clean up the drool after you lick off your fingers.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

Authentic made to order food. Highly recommend calling ahead and placing your order- otherwise you will be waiting upwards to 45 minutes for your delicious sandwich. Store is extremely small but the staff is friendly. I would prepare to pick up your food and eat elsewhere as seating is limited, but so so worth the wait! Lunch time on the weekend is crazy busy! Not expensive at all- they could surely charge double and people would still line up for their food! Great quality and freshness!

Date of visit: August 2015