“Chef must be off when we visited”

Yu Shan Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #2,265 of 4,454 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Black bean noodle (Char Jiang Mein) worst I have had - and I have had some bad ones. The meat came in chunks - rather than as minced meat, the noodle was not thoroughly cooked - how do you do that ?
Tofu was way over cooked and too much sugar used, and greasy on top.
More than half of the food uneaten and left not taken away. Says it all.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

First off, let me say how friendly and warm the wait people are here. I could understand about every other word our server said, but with pointing and nodding, it was easy enough to get our order placed.

Yu Shan is located near enough to my home that I can go there regularly for my Chinese food fix. It appears that they deliver, too, which will be a wonderful experience to try since I have never in my life had Chinese food delivered to my home. (This conjures up images of Miranda on "Sex and the City" ordering up Chinese food and getting into altercations with the woman on the other end of the phone who kept laughing really hard, but that's another story - and not for this post.)

I am not an expert on Chinese cuisine, and wouldn't know my Shanghai from my Cantonese, but I love the flavors and the textures and the combinations of sauces. Sometimes well-done Chinese food just melts in my mouth. Sometimes it's just good. Yu Shan is just darn good.

We decided to order their "dinner suggestions" which offer a complete meal including fried rice and a spring roll. The spring roll was very meh, and I wouldn't go out of my way to order that again. My pal ordered the Mongolian beef which was surprisingly good - almost melt-in-your-mouth good. I had the lemon chicken which was a fried breast with a tasty lemon sauce on the side. That seemed a little bit wrong to me, as my expectation would be that the chicken should have a chance to marinate in and settle into the lemon sauce and absorb a bit of that flavor. I used the sauce for dipping, though, and that seemed ok.

I tend to avoid fried rice, but had a few bites and thought it to be very tasty. We ordered the "scallion pancakes" which were delicious. I stole a few bites of my friend's beef, wrapped it up with the pancake and really enjoyed that combination.

It was a special treat to receive a bit of chocolate ice cream served on a saltine at the end of our meal. Receiving an encouraging fortune in my fortune cookie was also very welcomed.

I will definitely try the food at Yu Shan again, and I can't wait to "order in."

Reviewed 19 April 2014

So, I'm from the Portland Area and I have become accustomed to that area's taste when it comes to Americanized chinese food. Now, I have lived in Seattle for a year and a half and this is the first place I have gone to that really made me happy! First, when you walk in they have a fish tank with a goofy looking fish in it. He kinda looks at you with this silly look and you just know "this is going to be awesome" because he looks so happy! I know its silly to think that an experience will be good simply by looking at a captive fish but it was. The restaurant is spotless! We were seated at a clean table next to a center divider that had silk plants in it. Normally I'm not a fan of silk plants in restaurants because they are always dusty and dirty. These were spotless, not one speck of dust! I was impressed. And, the entire time we were there the staff would always clean the tables of the leaving customers immediately and thoroughly.

Now, onto the food. The food was a little different for me but good. I ordered the Kung Pao Chicken dinner combo which comes with vegetable fried rice, a spring roll, and egg flower soup (EFS). First thing up was the soup. Now, I am a soup snob, especially with EFS, so, it was no surprise that this soup didn't meet my expectations. It was bland and had tofu in it of all things. More than that it had corn and peas, neither of which I have every enjoyed in my EFS. I put a ton of salt in it, pepper, then picked out all of the tofu and it was tolerable and I was able to eat the cup. My honey got the hot and sour soup which was extremely sour. Too much so in my opinion. I couldn't eat it and neither could he.

Next was the tea. I like my tea strong and this was very light loose leaf tea. It was pretty good which surprised me of a light tea. Perhaps next time I'll ask for it to be a little stronger if possible.

Then it was the main dish. The spring roll was standard, typical spring roll, nothing new to write here. The Kung Pao Chicken was sweet! It had strawberry undertones which is what I hope they sweetened it with. It was good though. Despite my surprise of the sweetness it was just spicy enough to start your nose running. It wasn't something you really noticed though because sweet often outweighs spicy. I thought it was very cleaver and tasty.The vegetable fried rise was good, a little bland but I really liked it mixed with the remaining sauce of my Kung Pao. It was extremely light feeling, not heavy like most rices. I enjoyed it too. My honey got his Kung Pao with Vegetable Lo Mein which was amazing. The flavors were in perfect balance and savory to there perfect degree. Also, in the Lo Mein were some of the best tasting mushrooms I have ever had! I could eat a whole plate of just those mushrooms they were amazing!

Finally, the meal came with a fortune cookie and some soft serve ice cream on a salteen cracker. This was a new combination for me. Weird. But I tried it and, you know what? I'm going to start eating my vanilla ice cream with salteens! I have always appreciated a balance between sweet and salty and this was it. That cracker did things for that ice cream that I would not have thought possible. The meal came to $20.

Overall, amazing experience and we will be returning there again soon. Good job Yu Shan!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Very good Cantonese food. We have dined here many times and never been disappointed. You need to be driving south to access the parking lot but u-turns are nearby. Large parking lot in back. Nice people.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

After a change in ownership at the previous Chinese Restaurant we attended, we chose Yu Shan, despite some mixed reviews. We are not super Chinese food buffs but know what tastes good. We selected Family Dinner "A" and were very pleased with each of the selections. The Beef with Vegetables and Pork Garlic Sauce were exceptionally tasty. The outside of the restaurant is less than exceptional but the inside is very pleasing and well done. The wait staff were fast, pleasant and worked very hard. It was Chinese New Year and the restaurant was filled to capacity with Asian customers. We wlll be going again.