“Spending my time, watching the days go by...”

Sangaste Rukki Maja Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Sangaste
Description: Warm rye balls straight from the oven are the signature dish of Sangaste Rukki Restaurant. They are a good enough reason to stop here when passing through Sangaste. In addition to the exciting dishes that are made from or contain rye, we offer also other delicious Estonian food and drinks.
Reviewed 13 February 2019

Sangaste Rye House (or Rukki Maja in local language) is oriented to offer good and quality local food with many things made under influence of the ingredient called - rye - obviously. I have to say immediately that unfortunately I was bit disappointed with this place.

House itself is quite big and stands out nicely in the neighbor-hood, so it is very easy to find it. You can even spend a night there, as it has small hotel complex next to the restaurant as well. Restaurant part is quite big and kind-of sectioned. Half of it is decorated more as a pub and half tries to be a nice restaurant. We stayed at the pub side as it seemed that there were only few persons and we thought that as it is lunch time, we can have quick and nice meals there. Oh boy..

First off, we were struggling to understand if we have to go to the counter to get the menus or will we be served from the table. Eventually, after many minutes, I went to get the menus and we had to do our orders from the counter too, where a lovely young waitress wrote everything down.

After about 10 minutes we were served drinks, but this didn`t go without an incident. I ordered a Fanta and when waitress came, she asked if anyone ordered a class of multi-juice. As we didn`t we sent her back and I mentioned to her again that I ordered a Fanta. After few minutes she returned with the same class and said that sorry, this IS Fanta actually. I do not know, how she found out that it was actually Fanta and also I was wondering that if you pour out drinks, how can you NOT remember what you just did...

After this - another 30 minutes passed and two meals arrived (we were group of 5). I have to say - I ordered a soup to begin and a steak for main - and 2 other persons (including the one that was delivered to the table) also ordered exactly the same steak, so how it was possible to do that for so long and why did the waitress bring only 2 meals to the table? So many questions, but no answers.

Another 30 minutes later other meals arrived - and of course my soup came together with the steak. Thankfully, I can at least give very good feedback for the soup - salmon in it was nicely done, broth was delicious and it was overall a nice dish. I would give it 8/10. But the steak - overcooked, dry and coating with cheese had some questionable ingredients in it that I really didn`t enjoy. Very Unfortunate.

After this, we had to pay at the counter of course and it didn`t went 100% smoothly there as well. It seemed that she had all other things in her mind than doing her job. It is very hard to say, but so it seemed.

I really hope that they will improve service level and quality of food, as place itself has quite a lot of potential and there simply aren`t any good restaurants in that area.

And now, it is time to give it a score. Service - 3/10, atmosphere - 6/10, food 5/10, giving a total of 14/30.

P.S. Please do not order wine called "Põltsamaa lossivein". Just Don`t!

Date of visit: February 2019
2  Thank Lothlorien666

Reviewed 6 July 2018

The interior is very cozy although the building does not look overly promising from the outside. The menu is varied and creative,some dishes consist of local rye and also other Estonian ingredients. I would suggest to try kama drink which is very refreshing and healthy drink. Good find in the area! We had onion pie (rather quiche-looking) for the appetizer and it was purely divine, so was salmon with pea-mint sauce and pork steak. Really tasty and well flavoured! We also enjoyed sea-buckthorn-orange-pumkin juice - a unique combination.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Restaurant created Sangaste castle in the former dining room.The guide told us - that the marks of the height measurements the castle's owners children - were still remain on the walls.
Lunch is expensive 11 EUR (complex). Drink, main course and dessert Estonian national Sweet - Kama with whipped cream (Dessert Tasty). Vegetarians are not considered. Take a piece of meat out of the portions. Potatoes with white sauce and cucumber slices remain on the plate. Vegan diets are nothing at all.
But is delicious locally baked rye bread.Tasting for those who want (not specially offered) I If you like.You can buy a loaf.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 28 November 2015

This place is on our way to the castle of Sangaste. You can have a nice lunch here with lot's of rye dishes. The area is famous for it's rye, cultivated in the old days. Food is reasonable, prices very good and there is a quick attentive service.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 3 October 2015

We stopped at this restaurant and Sangaste Castle on our way from Parnu to Tartu due to a recommendation in Lonely Planet. We were very happy we did. As Sangaste is an area famous for rye, so almost everything on the menu features rye. The menu is diverse and interesting. We had rye pancakes with salmon, rye pasta and an Estonian drink with kefir and finely milled rye, which was super delicious. Service was quick and friendly. Worth the detour!

Date of visit: July 2015

Been to Sangaste Rukki Maja Restaurant? Share your experiences!