“Very good Mexican food”

Price range: US$3 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Welcome to the Railway Cantina in beautiful Seward, Alaska! A local favorite, we offer the best burritos, quesadillas, and tacos you'll have on the Kenai Penninsula. Our ingredients are fresh, and include housemade salsas, local halibut, reindeer, steak, chicken, shrimp, crab, salmon, falafel, and tofu. Along with your meal, enjoy a selection of Alaskan brewed beer or a glass of wine. We're located in the small boat harbor, across the street from the Seward Yatch Club. Looking forward to your visit!
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I would like to give them 4 1/2 stars but that's not an option. We stopped here on our bus trip with our tour group. Circumstances warranted a change to our schedule. We had 16 people total and after our expedition guide talked to them, they were able to accommodate us right away. A to-go order for 16 people is no small task. They are a small restaurant and not one I might wander into, but the service was pretty quick. They had a couple mistakes with the orders but they righted them immediately. My husband and I had the chicken quesadillas. It would have been nice to have sour cream with it but I was too tired to check. I'm sure I could have gotten it had I asked. I would have liked a more flavorful salsa but I think some things are different in Alaska. I would recommend them.

TacoDan, Owner at Railway Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

We are happy we managed to serve you quick and with good food. Thank you for the positive review!

Reviewed 7 July 2018

Being from AZ, I have had my share of excellent Mexican food, so I am always a little reluctant to try Mexican food in an area not really known for it BUT Railway was very tasty. The burritos and quesadillas are good sized and the filled with plenty of ingredients and there are quite a few ingredient choices to choose from - from Rockfish to Blackened Halibut to garlic Chicken with rice and beans. Again, all very tasty and filling.

Thank you for the positive feedback! We are delighted that we met your expectations when it comes to Mexican food!

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Enjoyed the blackened halibut burrito. Was good value for the money. The manager efficiently helped us order and split the tab. She was upbeat, friendly and professional.

railwaycantina, General Manager at Railway Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

We are more than happy that you appreciated our food and service! We make sure we serve great food for an affordable price! Thank you for the 5-star review!

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Four of us had lunch here and found the food to be good but certainly not outstanding. The eating area is a little cramped but we all felt that for what we were served the food was overpriced

Reviewed 27 August 2017

The clerk asked us what kind of salsa we wanted on our entrees, but no sauce was there when we received the food. The beans lacked flavor. I was enticed by all the different meats (esp. reindeer, fish, etc.), but my blackened fish was just black without flavor. The saving grace was the little cup of fresh-looking salsa for the chips. Pricewise, it's more reasonable compared to the other restaurants in the area, but the flavor just isn't adequate.

Been to Railway Cantina? Share your experiences!