“Not tasty”

Price range: US$3 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Welcome to the Railway Cantina in beautiful Seward, Alaska! A local favorite, we offer the best burritos, quesadillas, and tacos you'll have on the Kenai Penninsula. Our ingredients are fresh, and include housemade salsas, local halibut, reindeer, steak, chicken, shrimp, crab, salmon, falafel, and tofu. Along with your meal, enjoy a selection of Alaskan brewed beer or a glass of wine. We're located in the small boat harbor, across the street from the Seward Yatch Club. Looking forward to your visit!
Reviewed 27 August 2017

The clerk asked us what kind of salsa we wanted on our entrees, but no sauce was there when we received the food. The beans lacked flavor. I was enticed by all the different meats (esp. reindeer, fish, etc.), but my blackened fish was just black without flavor. The saving grace was the little cup of fresh-looking salsa for the chips. Pricewise, it's more reasonable compared to the other restaurants in the area, but the flavor just isn't adequate.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I shared the $13 nachos and were disappointed. You get a small plate of nachos with melted cheese, 5 sliced tomatoes, side of sour cream and side of salsa. The only reason for a two star instead of one is the salsa.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

I should have paid attention to the recent reviews. Food was not worth the trip. Burritos, quesadillas and chips were flavorless. Salsa want much better. Save your time and money and go elsewhere.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Overpriced (as all of the tourist spots in Alaska are). Just so-so food. One son liked his reindeer tacos but with a cheap side of bad chips and tiny plastic cup of salsa it was too much money for too little food. The plain cheese nachos had cheap nacho sauce and not real melted cheese. Same nasty cheese on the beef steak nachos (which only had ground beef and no steak). My chicken quesadilla was good but again, the cheap chip and tiny salsa side just made this whole place and experience a let down. The one guy behind the counter wasn't super helpful. We walked in and sat down. Not knowing you order at the counter first. Then the guy got slammed and had no help so we kept going to the other side of the business (another restaurant) to get our own refills. And he asked if I wanted to include my tip on my car when I paid for our food before we had even sat down. Um no! I like to see what kind of service I get before I tip. Good thing, too.

TacoDan, Owner at Railway Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Sounds like your visit got off to a bad start with inadequate customer service, and I apologize for that! This will be addressed and corrected with the crew. The prices throughout Alaska seem high to visitors who come from areas of lower costs of living. The cost of shipping supplies to Alaska drives up our product cost. We make our salsas daily at the Cantina from fresh produce, and our chips are made from a local business in Anchorage. The first ingredient in our nacho cheese sauce is cheddar cheese, and ground beef isn't used in any of our dishes. The steak is finely shredded, which you must have mistaken for ground beef.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

The food here is terrible. The garlic chic burrito was frozen, cubed chicken. My friend's Halibut tacos were served cold and old. The blue moo (which I have had before and loved) contained ground meat instead of steak and no blue cheese sour cream. It just utterly sucked. Don't waste your money.

I apologize for your experience. We do not serve ground beef, it is a shredded steak. While mistakes happen, we will be looking into your complaints. Please address issue's like these with our on site manager, so they can be fixed immediately.

Been to Railway Cantina? Share your experiences!