“What's a Four Letter Word for Old/Mold/Mildewy/Dirty/Dump?....HERE”

Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here (unfortunately) for an extended period of time. I wasn't looking to book something this far down on the food chain of accommodation so it was more than disappointing.

Having paid for the whole stay I decided not to try to argue with the "professionals" running this place to leave when I had a good look around. I knew they wouldn't refund the costs and I had better things to do with my life than squabble with people who think dirty is just fine for their guests. You are treated like family here. The kind of family that thinks whatever they think is good enough for you is whatever you should be satisfied with. Whoop-de-doo.

I stayed and reminded myself every night when I could smell the mold and mildew in the dirty carpet before I closed my eyes that I had booked this dump. I had read the negative reviews, I had called Ken Smith (twice) in the week before I arrived to alert him to the fact that I am allergic to mold and mildew and he never called me back. There were lots of red flags on the field and I didn't give them the importance they deserved. The owner doesn't return phone calls from his future guests? Whoop-de-doo, check the negative review from others who haven't had him return their calls, warned about the mold and mildew.

I stayed in the Pikaki Room......which is not exactly like the photo on the website which shows a clean white fan.
-The commercial grade rug has no doubt been trod on by dozens of pairs of dirty feet. I wore my shoes inside the room because the carpet squished when I walked on it in bare feet. Carpet in the tropics? in the mountains where there is mold on every square inch of foliage? Tiles or something that can be washed so the bugs, mold and mildew don't have a party every night.
-Mold in the corner on the ceiling, if it's visible to the naked eye, it's a problem.
-No light bulbs in two of the 4 lights in the room, and while I brought this to the "Innkeeper"Jason's attention on Day 1, nothing was done. Too cheap to buy light bulbs for someone staying 3 weeks or is the electrical not up to code to handle 4 lights turned on at the same time?
-The television was at least 40 years old. The converter's button didn't all work. Changing a channel took 10 minutes, you had to hit 66 and then minus it until you reached the station you wanted. Told Jason about that on Day 1 - solution? I Nothing from him. I hit 66 A LOT.
-"Towels" that were rags. Holes, stains, unravelled edges, and one bath towel at a time, I wondered if the jail had better towels, but decided not to get myself arrested just to find out.
-Staff that is loosey, goosey and more of a religious commune than a professional B&B, young untrained people seem to arrive and leave. Some are housed in a tent like enclosure near the parking lot. One day I heard the sounds of a buzz law or something like that coming from the tent. It stopped suddenly and the sound of a young man yelling profanities filled the air. The sound of a woman weeping followed in the next seconds. Yup, real peaceful and yes everyone is really friendly. When your professional standards and lack of properly trained or enough staff, you gotta be friendly. I suspect they are used to being yelled at a lot.
-The day that I arrived I could hear a discussion about the calibre of ammunition and black powder taking place between two men in the main building near my room. I never left the screen door open after that. Yup, House of Peace and advice on bullets to boot, real peaceful. "You'll be fine if you bring enough black powder", was never in my mind when I decided to visit Hawaii.
-There was a rocking chair outside the Pikaki room, another light without a bulb (just in case you wanted to read out there) near the dirty outside carpet but lots of electrical stuff plugged in beside it. Oh yeah, and that fire extinguisher hung on the wall beside the electrical outlet stuffed with stuff had an out of date tag (2009/2010/2011) wasn't surprising, but the building is wooden so it's just the usual "close but no cigar" attitude.
-The leaf blower was noisy and used early in the morning just about every day on the driveway......the cobwebs on the side of the building near the doorway of the Pikaki room could have been taken out with that device. They weren't.
-The downright FILTHY air fan and heater that were left on the counter of the kitchenette were downright insulting. That anyone would expect me to turn either one of these filthy appliances on and blow even more mold and dirt into the air is unforgivable. I moved them into the cupboards because I was ready to toss my cookies when I looked at them. I've never seen anything so dirty in any kind of accommodations that I've stayed in during the last 30 years.
-The venetian blinds covering the window haven't been washed since Pearl Harbour was attacked. A thick cover of mold and dirt covers them near the sliding glass window opening.
-The "kitchenette" didn't have a glass, or any type of kitchen implements other than a butter knife. I went out and bought plastic glasses and bought chickens that didn't need to be cut up and ate out.
-The daddy long leg spiders hung out under the microwave and laid eggs on the kitchen counter. I found one inside my clothing in one of the drawers. I went to the laundromat, washed everything I owned just before I left and moved my clothing to my suitcase.

I would have given this place it a terrible review but the internet worked all the time, nothing was stolen from my room and there was hot water and pressure in the bathroom. The bathroom had a hole in the wall and water had obviously gotten under the linoleum, there was a ratty curtain covering the area under the sink but at there was water and it was hot. Whoope-de-doo.

In short this was the dirtiest, cruddiest and excuse ridden place that I've ever stayed at in 30 years of globe trotting. After a few days it got depressing and I spent as little time there as possible except to sleep and counted down the days until I left.

I've stayed in B&Bs high in the Andes near Cuzco that were 50 times cleaner than this one.

I've stayed in B&B in Hawaii that were cheaper than this one and 1,000 times better.

I reminded myself many times that if I was staying there, it was my own fault. I had read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor but made a reservation anyway. Ken Smith failed to return 2 phone messages that I left before I arrived. I had misgivings about staying here but didn't pay attention to them because of the many glowing positive reviews. My mistake and it won't happen again.

I really enjoyed my drive down the mountain to the airport on the day I left. It was the best part of my stay there.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a B&B somewhere else, anywhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Sunset_Sailor
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

This hermit guest stayed with us for 26 nights and gave us absolute instructions not to go into her room. She kept it closed up most of the time. Normally, with daily housekeeping we take out the trash, replace used towels, make the bed and clean and spray down hard surfaces with Lysol to restrict the mildew of our Kona Coffee Country. Just prior to this guest’s stay we had a professional and objective yearly Inn inspection by Hawaii Island Bed & Breakfast Association and the only issue that came to the surface was that we needed to update our fire extinguisher. During her stay I passed her many times and asked her if all was OK and she affirmed that it was, every time? I had given her a 20% discount on her longer stay and so her daily cost, including a full buffet breakfast with omelet bar each morning was only $81. per day even during the Kona Iron Man Triathlon. As to my conversation with my son Jonathan, a 100% disabled Marine Sgt. vet. we often talk up in my office concerning what he knows and likes to talk about including black gun powder. Personally, the last time I used black gun powder was in 1947 when in high school. As to being a Christian, yes I do try to walk the Jesus Way but I never violate anyone’s personal right of choice for their own way. As to the profanities, neighbors? if I had been aware, it would not have continued but I never yell at anyone about any thing and neither does Jason. We do live in a “House of Peace.” The carpet is now due for cleaning and will be professionally steam cleaned. As to the TV, I did not know that it was not working properly and will be replaced. Actually, I would have been very happy to help make this guest more comfortable if she had talked to me on any one of the many times that we passed during the 26 days she was our guest. As to the phone messages ??? Ken Smith, owner

Reviewed 6 November 2012

The room was dirty. The bathtub was full of dead bugs. The owner's daughter made snotty comments behind my back when she didn't think I could hear. We had to cook our own breakfast, and then when everyone was done, the owner pulled out the "good" stuff out and made himself a beautiful breakfast that was not made available to the guests. Coffee was not available when promised and kept running out. We had to go ask them to make more. The room was not secure, faulty door locks. There was no soap in the bathroom. It had a nice atmosphere, but had a musty smell. If you plan on getting any sleep, be sure to bring ear plugs. No peace at night, all the night critters get pretty loud.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dd1456
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

First off, not sure you have the right Inn as I do not have a daughter working at the Inn and when I do eat breakfast is is usually what is left on the buffet. If it was our Inn, we do publish everywhere that it is a DIY Omelet bar, Buffet with bird watching? As to the "Owner" me pulling out the "good stuff" everything we have is served on the Buffet. As to the Coffee? We have two 12 cup coffee makers that we keep going, could have happened, but don't see how??? Faulty door lock, which room? We did replace the lock on the sliding glass door some time ago as it was brought to our attention? Soap in bathroom, could happen, easy fix? Musty smell, Hawaii, 80% humidity. As to dirty, we just had an HIBBA objective inspection and passed without a hitch. A few bugs in the tub, could happen, Hawaii is the bug capital of the world. Tub full of bugs, you got to be kidding! Don't know what to do with the "Snotty" daughter comments, daughters not here. As to the Coqui frogs, they are also noted in our publicity, courtesy of Puerto Rico, not our choice, comes with the beauty of Hawaii. We do have comp. ear plugs at the front desk for those who ask.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have spontanious booked this B&B and we absolutely loved it! It is a litte up the mountain in the rainforest, so not close to the beach, which didn't matter for us, especially not since the room was less then 100 $. The Room was pretty close to the Street, what made it a litte noisy, but not to much, when you're not too sensitive. The welcoming and openminded manner of everyone there was very pleasing, and the breakfast was breathtaking!
We did regrett that we only booked for 2 Days. We wouldt have liked to stay there much longer!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Hale Maluhia is ideally located a couple miles up the mountainside from Kona and offers easy access to beaches, touring, boating and fishing. Everything is convenient from here and at a very affordable price, especially considering the alternatives down in Kona. The small B&B is tucked away in the midst of lush Hawaiian greenery. Some room furnishings are in need of updating, but everything is clean and well maintained. Breakfasts are sumptuous (lots of native fruits, fresh baked bread, waffle batter and waffle-iron, ham and sausage, eggs etc.) and you can make your own western omelette in the spacious kitchen, which is always open. Perhaps the only drawback is the free-roaming chickens, and then only because first cockcrow comes at around 3:30 - 4:00 (but then he quiets down till 6:00 or so). Read the cancellation policy with care. Accommodations are definitely good value for the money. Highly recommended.
In case you ever dreamed of owning a B&B in idyllic surroundings, the place is also for sale. If I were 30 years younger . . .

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are larger, but lack kitchenette (fridge, sink, microwave), which is very...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Laohuang
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Last February my wife and I were looking for a unique place to retreat as family. We needed a gate-away desperately after seven years of intense ministry work. Hotels were out of question. We wanted a quiet Inn hidden somewhere up in the mountains that will accommodate our children too.

When I first saw Hale Maluhia (House of Peace) Kailua-Kona online, I was surprised to see that such a wonderful place exists in Kona. We've been to Grand Wailea Resort and Spa in Maui in 2009 and my assumption was that every Inn and Hotel in Hawaii will be high-end and filled with the noise and sophistications which we did not want at this time. We wanted a place that will provide us rest, nourishment, revelation, encounter, rediscovery, restoration and bonding as a family. After few months of comparing Hale Maluhia with other similar B&B in Hawaii, we decided to go for Hale Maluhia.

We flew down from Vancouver Canada on Friday, 20th July and landed at the Kona International Airport by 11:45pm. The car rental company we chose delayed us longer than anticipated. All these while, the owner of the facility Ken Smith was communicating with me via emails making sure we were ok! I had a comprehensive direction emailed to me, so it was very easy to locate the Inn. At 1:20am Saturday when we reached the Inn, Ken was still awake expecting us. Even with his poor health, he made sure we were comfortably settled in our room- the beautiful Jasmine Room. This initial encounter really touched us!

Later in the morning, we woke up to behold a beautiful garden- an Eden tucked in on-top of the highlands of Kona. The scenery was amazing. My kids immediately jumped off from their bed to the farm. They played with the rabbits, chicken, birds, turkey etc. I have never seen them enjoy nature this way. The ponds, the fish, the chipping of the insects all made this Inn a dream come though. As a family we could not have asked for more! The room was clean and spacious enough for a family of five. We played around the room all the time and enjoyed the ambiance of the facility.

We spent a week in Hale Mulahia, but that was the best week we have ever spent anywhere outside of our home. One unique but often ignored positives of Hale Maluhia is the overshadowing cloud of PEACE that imparts upon your soul once you settle down. As a family we have traveled a lot, but we have never experienced the kind of PEACE and calmness we experienced in Hale Maluhia. To confirm this, we left the Inn the following week and flew to Phoenix Arizona to attend a global conference holding in one of the five star hotels in the city. Frankly speaking, the stress I missed for the past week almost returned immediately.

If you are a couple looking for a unique a gate-away to refresh and nourish your relationship, then Hale Maluhia is the right place. We had many couples staying in other rooms within the facility that connected with us so easily making the whole environment look like a family reunion during the breakfast time. It is a good place for relationship restoration and rekindling of the flame of passion. The staff are the nicest people you can find in any B&B of this kind!

If you are a family seeking a place of bonding for the whole family, then be sure to visit Hale Maluhia. You will not only enjoy the atmosphere, but your children will feel at home with all the natural beauties that surround them. My kids had the privilege of seeing, touching and playing with several of the animals and plants they have only seen in books and Television. I walked them around the garden and showed them as much as I could and that really left a lasting impression in their hearts. They still talk about it today.

For first-time visitors, prepare yourself to enjoy nature at its raw form. You will fall in love with the smell of flowers, the purity of the air, the ambiance of the light at night, the chipping of the insects early in the morning, the sweet small whispers of the tiny night creatures, the cloud of PEACE and the breeze of rest.

Warning! This is not your typical Inn, this is a place of REST. Don't expect hotel maids knocking at your door and all the hustle and bustle of a typical hotel, B&B or Inn. Hale Maluhia is for those in search of PEACE, reconnection and restoration. If these are at the top of your list, then search no more.

My family and I will visit Hale Maluhia (House Of Peace) again and again!

Room Tip: If you can afford any of the stand alone rooms, go for it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family