“Vintage and quirky place to stay in Kona”

Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This B&B is located up the hill from the main beachfront and town of Kailua-Kona. It's a couple of miles away so a car is essential.

It is a converted and sprawling older house with extra rooms added adjacent. If you are looking for sleek and new, look elsewhere. This place is stuck in the 50s/60s in terms of decor. Vintage, but not worn out, and quite clean considering this. We stayed in the Mahlia room for 3 nights. Dated though functional decor abounds. The bathroom was also functional and clean and had an interesting pink shower over bathtub with the weirdest hot/cold/on/off tap I have ever encountered in my many travels.

Others noted noise issues. Yes there are some coqui frogs but not many during our stay. A malfunctioning rooster who crowed at 1am, 2am, 3am was our issue. As chickens and turkeys free range on the property I expected some nighttime noise. But that rooster should quickly become someones dinner!

Breakfasts are as good as others note. But if you are staying in one of the rooms in the main house like the Mahlia, expect lots of kitchen noise from 7am. Staff and others rattling plates and talking loudly can be annoying to those wanting a sleep-in. You do that on holidays right? Sound-proofing is non-existent in the main house.

The caretaker Jason was very friendly and plays a decent guitar too. There is a music room in the main house for guests to use which also includes a piano and acoustic guitar.

Overall the place is fine for those on a budget and don't care about having everything new. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank camnicky

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed here for three nights of our Christmas vacation. I wished we would have stayed longer. We stayed in the Tea House. The bathroom was not quite complete at the time of our stay, but it was not a big deal. We were given a private bathroom in the main house a few steps away.

The breakfast was FANTASTIC! Fresh fruits, homemade bread, cook-your-own omelets with eggs from the chickens on the property.

Great location. A short distance to everything in the Kona area. Lovely location. Some street noise (the windows to the Tea House are paper, so not very noise reducing).

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here last February. My partner and I stayed in the Japanese Tea house which is behind the main Inn - it is the most private room since it is seperate and the cost per night is very affordable. There was some traffic noise as this property sits on a sort of peninsula of land with a road that winds around two-thirds of it; it's not a super busy road at all but nonetheless it's good to know that going into it. The hosts were very nice and easy to talk to; one day she made me a coffee ice shake which was so great since it was hot outside and I didn't want hot coffee.
The breakfast! Oh my! The assortment of fresh fruit, breads, juices and the make your own omelet station was heaven. Plus they have outdoor seating where you can enjoy it - this was one of my favorite parts of our stay here.
I would diffinitely come back to Hale Maluhia Country Inn if I visit the Big Island again.

Room Tip: Choose the tea garden, it's affordable and the most private option.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZingerSF
Reviewed 20 January 2012

My husband and I travelled for 12 days and visited three islands last week. Our best night ever was at the Hale Mauhai Country Inn. The rooms were clean and beds amazingly comfortable, the breakfast was 5 Star, and the location central to lots of activity, but the best part was the wonderful feeling and energy which surrounded the property. The staff encouraged us to "make yourself at home" and we did..by enjoying the grand piano and watching a DVD from the large collection in the library. There were lots of birds, and great sounds and smells. I never write reviews, but this is one place that I had to recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed for a week and really loved it. The breakfast were great, omlets, fresh fruit, bread and juices. They did a great job of customer service. The location is perfect, it was nice to not have to pack up everyday and go to a different loaction and still be able to visit every place on the island. I would recomend this to anyone. It is clean, safe and the hot tub worked just fine.

Room Tip: The Pikiki romm was nice. 5t has a fridge, sink and microwave
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple