This B&B is located up the hill from the main beachfront and town of Kailua-Kona. It's a couple of miles away so a car is essential.
It is a converted and sprawling older house with extra rooms added adjacent. If you are looking for sleek and new, look elsewhere. This place is stuck in the 50s/60s in terms of decor. Vintage, but not worn out, and quite clean considering this. We stayed in the Mahlia room for 3 nights. Dated though functional decor abounds. The bathroom was also functional and clean and had an interesting pink shower over bathtub with the weirdest hot/cold/on/off tap I have ever encountered in my many travels.
Others noted noise issues. Yes there are some coqui frogs but not many during our stay. A malfunctioning rooster who crowed at 1am, 2am, 3am was our issue. As chickens and turkeys free range on the property I expected some nighttime noise. But that rooster should quickly become someones dinner!
Breakfasts are as good as others note. But if you are staying in one of the rooms in the main house like the Mahlia, expect lots of kitchen noise from 7am. Staff and others rattling plates and talking loudly can be annoying to those wanting a sleep-in. You do that on holidays right? Sound-proofing is non-existent in the main house.
The caretaker Jason was very friendly and plays a decent guitar too. There is a music room in the main house for guests to use which also includes a piano and acoustic guitar.
Overall the place is fine for those on a budget and don't care about having everything new. If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a Virtual Kona Coffee Plantation of five rooms and two cottages in country comfort. Exceptional Breakfast Lovers Buffet and DIY omelet bar, fresh fruit, fresh bread baked daily, pure Kona coffee and bird watching. Relax to sage advice, friendly prices, broadband wireless, good beds, private baths and a gentle touch of aloha from old Hawai'i along the road less traveled. Just 3 miles south of Kailua-Kona and 11 miles south of the Kona International Airport (KOA). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Hale Maluhia Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hale Maluhia Country Inn (House Of Peace) Kona Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Country Inn Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Country Inn
- Hale Maluhia Country Inn Hawaii/Kailua-Kona