2 people are viewing this hotel
US$207
Free cancellation until 18/03/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
SAVE US$53
Expedia.comUS$207
travelup.comUS$209
HurbUS$229
All reviews free breakfast front desk yogurt hi express the breakfast area hot items guest laundry microwave and fridge small gym large bathroom sitting area shops and restaurants parking pass ali'i drive room key exercise room walking distance
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 October 2020

Was here a couple of times recently. Comfortable rest. Gym was open, but one had to 'register' with the front desk. Basic facility. Located in the town area, close to restauarants...and a block from the water.

Date of stay: October 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2020

Hi Jon C,

Thank you for taking the time of the day to share your stay experience.

We take pride in offering great hospitality and relaxing accommodations to all of our guests. It is rewarding to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the fitness center during your stay. Although, I noticed that you found the cleanliness standards and rooms at its average best only. I shared your comments with the upper management to check on some areas that may need attention. We will use your valuable review as a tool to ensure we’re providing the best experience possible.

Again, it is refreshing to read that we positively affected your stay. As our valued returning guest, we would cherish another moment to host your next stopover.

Warmest regards,

Zel N.
IHGService

Reviewed 31 July 2020 via mobile

Due to the pandemic many hotels in Kona were closed, and I just stumbled on this one. It was about 50% less than I had expected to pay, and the location was perfect. The room was large and very quiet. Comfortable bed and bedding. I appreciated the Keurig coffee maker. Since I stayed at another Holiday Inn recently I came prepared with extra coffee pods for the machine. The Front Desk ladies were all polite and helpful, and the rest of the staff always said hello. The pool is for kids, so don't plan to swim laps. The breakfast doesn't interest me since those kind of buffets tend to bring out the worst in people who think that Free Food is an invitation to get greedy. So I can't say what this hotel had to offer. I went out for breakfast.
The location is awesome. One block off Alii and all the dining and shopping.
My only disappointment was that the check in lady handed me a memo to inform me that housekeeping was only available every 5 days unless specially requested. For me, one of the pleasant things about a hotel vacation is coming back to a clean room each evening. I was unhappy about this, but I survived. I guess they had some staffing issues along with a busy hotel.
All in all it was a good week, and I will return. The price was right, and I enjoyed my stay. A few glitches didn't change that.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank cdproctor
Reviewed 29 July 2020

Q: When is the smell of body odor on a pillow OK? When is mildew and mold on a door jamb OK? When is it OK for you to have to ask for TP at a hotel?

A: NEVER.

Several of the reasons I chose this place:

1) no resort fee
2) parking fee is only $10 a day, vs $20 at the Sheraton
3) smack dab in the middle of Ali'i Drive (but sadly, a COVID ghost town)
4) walking distance to restaurants and bars
5) free "breakfast" - which is restricted to cold items, no hot foods, including coffee. They have a coffee maker in the room.
6) cheaper than the Sheraton, of course.
7) microwave and fridge in room. Need fridge for wine and stuff.
8) Yelpers and Tripadvisor mentioned this place was "clean" - hmmmm.

What I loved, besides the reasons above:

1) super cold A/C
2) quiet rooms, couldn't hear neighbors talking or snoring
3) large room
4) hard, stiff comfy beds (I love hard beds)

What I did not like about this place:

1) BODY ODOR ON PILLOW. The minute my tired head hit the pillow, it smelled like Uncle Billy Bob's armpit. I am not making this up! Fortunately it was only restricted to the hard two pillows, so I tried sleeping with the soft marshmallowy pillows but they sucked, so I ended up rolling a towel for my head and banished the smelly pillows to the couch.

2) dirty stained carpets, and I mean stains everywhere. You'd think with COVID closures they had time to clean the carpet. I told my son to keep his slippers and sneakers on. No walking barefoot here!

3) mold/mildew on door jambs (see pics). I ended up wiping some of it off with hand sanitizer on toilet paper but I wasn't here on vacation to clean some dirty room!

4) Tipping the housekeeper did not help to get more toiletries. Nope.

5) I had to ask for toilet paper refill in the morning at front desk. The one in our room was skating on thin ice. I've never in my entire hotel life had to ask front desk for TP. Never.

6) Front desk girl was a bit frazzled. I felt grateful that she was ministering to me being there, that's how I felt. She was rather intimidating. My neighbors said the same thing, so it wasn't only me who felt a bit scared. Another morning there was a different woman, and her BF was sitting on some cabinets, that was weird.

7) Phone did not work, which was stupid, because I had to keep going downstairs to talk to the front desk.

8) Pull chain on lamps were either greasy, or corroded. My neighbors said the same thing about their room. It's not a good feeling so you have to wash your hands after you touch it. It felt dirty.

Things nearby:

1) Walking distance to one out of three open ABC store that closes at 7:30 PM.
2) Only places open for sit down dining that I researched were Papa Konas (til 11:00 PM on Sat night), Fish Hopper (check hours), Gertrude's Jazz Bar, Gypsea Gelato, Pancho and Lefty's Mexican (about 500 yards from hotel). We actually ate at Pancho's and Papa Kona's and listened to Gertrude's pumping out the jazz on a deserted Ali'i Drive, it was kind of surreal.
3) Hulihe'e Palace (closed) and the Mokauikaua Church (not sure if open), and the Hilo pier where we watched people fishing at sunset.
4) Sack N Save and another grocery store five minutes drive so you can stock up on wine, sushi, chips and cakes by the slice.

How much did all of this cost?

Approximately $355 for two nights, including tax and two day's worth of parking.

Return Factor - only if I were really desperate.

Date of stay: July 2020
2  Thank LehuaMonsoon
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2020

Hello LehuaMonsoon,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel has the perfect environment of simplicity and luxury.

I saw your comments and appreciated your mention of our location and breakfast. I am sorry however for the inconvenience with the stained carpets, the smell, and the lack of amenities among other things. I understand your disappointment after what you have described. I shared your remarks with our managing team and have created a plan to prevent these issues from happening again.

I invite you to stay with us on your next trip.

Warm regards,

Oscar C.
IHGService

Reviewed 22 July 2020

What a great place to stay! We loved the service, complimentary breakfast, and location. We walked to the downtown area and the beach. We drove to the other side of the island to visit the National Park and black sand beach. It was nice to come back to a relaxing room.

Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed 28 March 2020

We wanted an inexpensive hotel in Kona to stay in after going on a long tour that would get us back late. So we picked this Holiday Inn Express. Being Kona, it was still expensive but not 500 a night. Located off a main road, there are some shopping and restaurant options in walking distance. But we were not there for that. Our room SMELLED like mildew. They need to tear out that aged carpeting. It was clean enough, room was large, but smells will ruin a room.
The pool was evidently not in use. Water was murky and dirty.
Even the complimentary breakfast was average. Here we are in Hawaii, a fruit paradise, and they serve the same commercial apples, bananas and oranges that a hotel in Ohio would use. Why not purchase local fruit?
We were glad the hotel was conveniently located to Saddle Road so we could get the heck out of there and off to Hilo the next day.

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank jplapis
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2020

Hello jplapis,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to writing us your feedback.Our hotel focus in in your satisfaction. I have read your comments and I'm sorry that you have issues with your room carpeting, the smell and dirty water of the pool among other things. I have shared your comments with our general manager. They have review your feedback and establish a plan to prevent these issues from happening again. I will like to invited you to come and stay with us on your next travel.

Best Regards,