“Heavenly Honu”

Honu's on the Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Honu's on the Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 311 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Located at the Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, Honu's on the Beach is an award-winning restaurant that offers delicious regional Hawaiian cuisine for breakfast and dinner, with lavish buffets available in the morning and on weekends and holidays. Enjoy a spacious lanai - complete with inviting fire pits and amazing views of the beach.
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

Nice poolside/beachside restaurant in downtown Kona at the Sheraton Hotel. Good food and reasonable prices for hotel. Great setting outside by beach. Highly recommend!

J-HuGeneralManager, General Manager at Honu's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

We appreciate your feedback and knowing that we helped another guest enjoy their visit to Honu's. We hope you'll be back for another visit in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

Our first visit was great. We were seated overlooking the lagoon and gardens. Our server was very good, prompt courteous and friendly. With a good ahi dinner and wine, we were well served. On the second visit, we discovered it was buffet night- not my cup of tea. Prime rib was tasty.

J-HuGeneralManager, General Manager at Honu's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Thank you for visiting our Honu's restaurant and providing us with such great feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Staff was very professional and friendly. We ordered all American breakfasts off the menu. Apparently this does not include a refill on the coffee. Charged us an extra 4 dollars for a refill on a small cup of coffee served out of a carafe that looked like it has never been washed and the coffee wasn’t even that good tasting. Apparently if we wanted good coffee we needed to shell out $8 for a cup!

1  Thank Wendy T
J-HuGeneralManager, General Manager at Honu's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Aloha,
We appreciate the feedback you've provided to us about breakfast at Honu's. We do offer free refills of our Kona Blended coffee with each cup ordered. the only time we will charge a guest for the coffee refills I when the guest specifically orders 100% pure Kona coffee. That tyoe of coffee is served through a decanter.
I apologize for the confusion, Mahalo to coming!

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Love the walls opening up to the outside. Open air one of the reasons we love Hawaii. The eggs Benedict was lacking flavor, but adequate. Nothing wrong with the scrambled eggs, bacon and coffee. High prices for “okay” fare. This hotel/Resort was all around a let down. Location close to Alii Drive was the main attraction. Breakfast was $43 for the two of us.

1  Thank Stevellie
J-HuGeneralManager, General Manager at Honu's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Aloha,
We thank you for your comments regarding your impression of your recent stay at our hotel. We're sad to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. However I can let you know that it was our pleasure to host you during your visit and we do hope you consider another trip back following the end of this year. We have begun upgrading and enhancing our hotel as of this week and we are projected to complete this by November 2018.

Reviewed 5 January 2018

I don't know what the people ate who gave this place five stars, but it sure wasn't any of what was made available to us. We lived in Las Vegas for many years so we have a lot of experience with buffets. At Honu's, everything tasted like it was pre-made or purchased from a warehouse store, lightly heated, and placed in a buffet warmer that wasn't properly doing its job. Everyone comes for the crab, which is the worst of what they serve. It clearly arrived frozen and was steamed or boiled until the shell soaked through and became mush. The server (making the best of his job) took our wine order (the only good part of the meal) then said he would return with crackers for the crab legs I had already gotten from the buffet. What a joke. There's nothing to crack. I took a butter knife and sliced open the shell to find that the meat was also soaked through with water. I love crab and I've had the great and the not so great. This stuff was just nasty. I laughed as i watched the patrons around me trying to use the cracker on the mushy legs and finally just giving up. The Honu's buffet has a wide variety of dishes. I tried a little bit of everything and left most of it on my plate, wondering if there was a staff of guys in the back opening frozen dinners, separating out the contents and tossing it all into buffet pans. At the carving station, my wife asked for a piece of rare prime rib and after testing a couple of areas along the roast the carver advised her, "This one's pretty much done all the way through." Judging from the many decent reviews one would assume we just came on a bad night. But considering so many items were so terrible, I think it's just a matter what people think is acceptable.

3  Thank OhenryII
Pacifica H, General Manager at Honu's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Aloha and thank you for your visit and review of your dining expirience,

as you mentioned in your review we do not encounter often that guests are unhappy with our Buffet. Most of our guests have been returning to us for our Friday and Saturday tradition for many years.

I would like to sincerely apologize for not delivering upon your expectation when visiting Honu`s. Please kindly provide me with a way to contact you directly to further inquire about your visit.

my contact email is ndahm@konabeachhotel.com.

Mahalo Nui