“Fresh Seafood Lunch”

Price range: US$9 - US$15
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: “UMEKE” is the Hawaiian word for “bowl.” At any Umeke’s eating establishment, a majority of menu items are designed to be served in bowls. Owner and Head Chef Nakoa Pabre is a seasoned professional who takes pride in giving customers the freshest, most exciting and varied menus that the Big Island has to offer. Guests typically design their own custom meal by selecting from a wide variety of Hawaiian inspired entree items accompanied by their choice of sides. Umekes prides itself in serving dishes using local ingredients that are of the highest quality. We source as many ingredients as possible from local fisherman, farmers, and ranchers. Our renowned poke is always created with only the freshest fish from Hawaiian waters as we aspire to share the boat to bowl experience with all of our guests. Over the counter poke bowls, beer, and our famous lemonade are served at this establishment. Only outdoor seating is available.
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed lunch at umekes. I had the fresh Ono poke and she had some delicious fish tacos. The food was dynamite and the service from the bar was prompt. We don't normally eat at the bar but the place was packed. Would strongly recommend this restaurant to other island goers.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

We had lunch there and it was great. The service was excellent, courteous, friendly, and fast. The food was ono, I had the ahi belly katsu and my cousin had a dish called mountain to ocean which was teriyaki beef and an ahi fillet. The prices were good for the dishes, and I would recommend this place for lunch or dinner. It's a great place for tourist to come and try all the local favorites like poki made different ways etc. great place to visit!!

Reviewed 4 July 2017

Ordered the keiki size poke bowl - selected ahi poke with avocado and brown rice for $6.99. Tasty, tasty. Serving size is adequate - scoop brown (or white) rice and about 1/2 cup poke of your choice. Very friendly and informative staff -- it was our first time here so she took the time to explain each selection. There is a small attached patio of outdoor table and benches - can sit in the shade to enjoy your meal. Parking is free for the first hour; don't forget to "register" your car at the self serve parking machine prior to walking to Umeke's.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

After our luau had been rained out in Kona, we asked a few staff people for a local restaurant recommendation. Umeke's came up repeatedly and it was great. MOstly locals, and a friendly vibe. I had a lau lau encased in Portuguese sausage accompanied by a panko-fried egg, served over smoked ham fried rice with gravy. Who thought up this combination? It was awesome. My son had the poke special and it was melt in your mouth fresh. My wife and daughter had standard fare on the menu and were pleased (I forget what they had). Service was friendly and efficient, and the place just had a fun vibe. On another note, I left my credit card after dinner, and they held onto it for me without any issues. Must visit on the Big Island.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

We came across Umekes by chance while looking for a good place in old town. We walked there on a hot summer day. We got Da Big boy bowls, which is a lot of food. Mine was the ahi avo poke (delicious) with a side of seaweed salad to die for!!! We also got a side of macaroni salad and strawberry lemonade to share (3 people). Everything was fresh, well prepared and incredibly good. I recommend it for a quick lunch as this isn't the spot to sit around and have drinks and a nice chat over lunch. There's no sitting inside, only outdoor tables by the parking lot and we shared our table with another couple.