“Great Restaurant at the Sheraton”
Review of Rays on the Bay

Rays on the Bay
Ranked #92 of 307 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Rays on the Bay Restaurant is known for its fresh seafood, farm-to-table cooking, handmade artisan pizzas,local island favorites and the coldest beer on the Big Island. Guests will enjoy warm and welcoming service, ocean front views, live entertainment 7 days a week and of course the chance to see live Manta Rays feeding in the ocean directly infront of the restaurant. Rays is also the best spot to see a brilliant and romantic sunset while you gather with friends to enjoy hand crafted cocktails, pupus or dinner.
Reviewed 30 January 2017

Great seafood here, Cool bar to hang out at, on calm nights you can watch the manta ray boats with their lights close to shore. On rough nights the waves crashing on the volcanic rocks are amazing. The waves can be big enough to close part of the bar.

1  Thank bwudcock
Write a ReviewReviews (1,219)

Reviewed 27 January 2017

This was great for breakfast and dinner. The big waves crash on the rocks causing some to spray the bar. This open pation also looks upon the boats gathering for the Manta Ray night snorkeling.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

I'm a local resident and came here with my visiting relatives expecting a 5 star fine dining experience. Didn't happen. First, we made reservation requesting ocean side table. We were seated at a table farthest from ocean. We requested separate checks for 2 couples. The waiter acted like he never heard of such a request and was obviously irritated by this. After review of the menu, I asked about how some of the items on the menu were prepared. The waiter had no idea, and said that "everything was in there." So, I ordered their "fresh catch" which was a substitute for their regular Mahi Mahi dish with Misoyaki King Ali'i mushroom, Baby Bok Choy, Truffle Ponzu, and Toasted Sesame Granola. I had a couple of bites of the dried out fish, and was very disappointed in the quantity of mushrooms. My sister-in-law ordered same thing, and her's was just as bad. See photo, Those miniscule pieces of mushrooms was all they plated. Don't know where the granola is, but you can see some sesame seeds. Bok choy was over done. We both sent back meal because of unedible fish, and got the Ahi with black rice, garlic greens, lemon grass-curry vinagrette, puna papaya salsa. So, there was black rice on top of some chewy chopped kale. Nothing reselmbled lemon grass curry, nor any type of salsa. The fish was bland and overcooked again. Waiter never checked to see if it was satisfatctory. COULDN'T EAT IT. Waiter avoided me and billed my meal even though I only ate 1 bite. Before the first meal was deivered (took so long I already finished my wine), I interuppted my waiter on his way back to kitchen and asked if I could have another glass of wine. He was irritated and said that I would have to wait until our dinner was served. Really? Sorry to bother you. Anyhow, he realized his mistake and brought my wine proptly, but wholly cow, I didn't expect my head bitten off for ordering some wine. I ended up leaving hungry and out $33 and I can't believe that my husband left a tip at all. I would have left him five cents. NEVER RECOMMEND OR BRING MY VISITING FAMILY OR FRIEND HERE AGAIN.

Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

Awesome view! Wait staff friendly, food was great. Limited menu but everything is great. Loved watching the Rays and learning the history.

1  Thank Cindy D
Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

One of our first nights in Kona, didn't feel like venturing out, "let's just eat at hotel" . Well worth staying at the hotel, everything was excellent. View of the bay, service and food were all very good.